Setup Z-Wave network with VRC0P

drarmstr

I have an HAI OmniPro II and am trying to connect it to a ZWave network using a VRC0P bridge.  My primary controller is an Aeon Labs Z-Stick.  I am able to include modules into the network with this stick and control them successfully using the ZTool software.  However, how are you supposed to include the VRC0P and set it up for connection to the HAI?  
  • I tried following the same stand-alone inclusion process with the VRC0P using the Z-Stickas the normal switch modules and it acts differently, not sure what it is doing.  
  • I tried the "Add Device" button in ZTool, but I get a "ADD_NODE_STATUS_FAILED" when pressing the button on the VRC0P..  I also tried a factory reset on the VRC0P but that didn't help.
  • There is a "Create Secondary" button in the ZTool software, but it just sits there with the "REPLICATION_STARTED" status.  I tried holding the VRC0P button down until it blinks amber, but nothing changes.
What should I be doing?

You might need to use the Leviton Vizia Installer Tool and a Leviton USB stick to program the VRCOP.  Everything I've seen has the programming done on that combo, and then the primary controller designation transferred to another controller, i.e. the Z-stick.

jlehnert said:
You might need to use the Leviton Vizia Installer Tool and a Leviton USB stick to program the VRCOP.  Everything I've seen has the programming done on that combo, and then the primary controller designation transferred to another controller, i.e. the Z-stick.

I haven't tried it any other way...

VRUSB-1US is the model for the Leviton USB controller.

Would the Leviton USB stick (VRUSB-1US) or the Leviton handheld remote controller (like the VRCPG-0SG or VRCPG-BSG) be easier/better?

The Leviton handheld controller cannot control/enroll Locks. The VR-USB is product for configuring your Vizia+ network. If you switch primary controllers, make sure you exclude all the devices from your Z-Stick first. You will have to rebuild network using Levition RF Installer Toolkit.

d.dennerline said:
The Leviton handheld controller cannot control/enroll Locks. The VR-USB is product for configuring your Vizia+ network. If you switch primary controllers, make sure you exclude all the devices from your Z-Stick first. You will have to rebuild network using Levition RF Installer Toolkit.

That is not true. The VRUSB-1US is used to enroll locks. I enrolled mine.

Ok, now I have the Leviton USB controller, but am still unable to setup the ZWave network with the HAI Omni Pro II controller..  I used the Leviton Installer Tool to add the VRC0P module as well as the various switches/modules to control and verified I can control the modules from the computer.  After this I "Updated" the VRC0P and did an "RS232 Setup" to associate the modules with the VRC0P for 2-way communication.  On the HAI side I updated the firmware to 3.11 and have the VRC0P connected to a serial port with the jumper set to "232".  I setup the panel for that serial port to be "ZWave" then setup a room house code format to be "Vizia RF Z-Wave" and changed the second unit in that room ((RM9-2) to have the same node number as the node number of a ZWave module on the ZWave network.  (I understand the first unit in the room is to represent the room as a whole and can only be associated with a 4-button scene switch).  

After all this I can still control the ZWave modules from the computer using the Leviton USB stick but still cannot control them from the HAI OmniPro II, nor get status updates when the modules locally change state.

What am I missing?

I hope this ends up more reliable than X-10, because right now it is just a pain...

I only have experience with the Zwave and Elk systems. Hopefully someone who has experience with HAI will chime in...

Hmmm.. I've had several VRC0Ps and never had issues with the exception of locks. You can connect the VRC0P directly to a computer if you have a terminal program and send serial commands directly to the unit to control your devices to see if there is an issue. I use an old WinXP laptop that has a serial port and just use the terminal program. Assume by update you mean that you updated the VRC0P controller. Also, linked all of the devices to the VRC0P via the RS232 setup. You have to check them all and execute. Also, make sure the baud rate on the HAI is 9600 and connected to the correct serial port. SJ

Aha!  I discovered the problem.  It was due to wiring.  Apparently the appropriate pinout connection is as follows:
TX: 1->4
RX: 2->2
GND: 4->1

Once I rewired the connection this way, it appears to be finally working.  Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi all,
I've been working on this same problem for some time.
I also, can run everything using the Leviton usb stick & installer tool.
Two Questions,
My test bench has an older OmniPro II panel. v3.0 chip. It does give me a "Vizia RF Z-Wave" option on the setup - units page.
Is 3.0 not obsolete ? Hope not because it is the latest hard coded version.

Second, (pretty dumb I admit , but pulling my hair out here) is the cord pinout as I look down at the connectors copper side up
1Yellow 2Green 3Red 4Black ==> 1Black 2Green 3Red(NA) 4Yellow ? i.e., do I read left to right on both jacks ?
Thanks
Paul

Is 3.0 not obsolete ?

no.

I redid my VRCOP to OP2 panel cable connection yesterday.

Look at the cable with the tabs down facing out from the center.  The first wire / color should match.  Initially did not make the correct cable and when I plugged it in I lost my network connection.

Look at the yellow (if one wire is yellow).  I used an RJ11 with 4 pins (old telephone wire).

Note I mention pin1 yellow.  Its really any pin color that you can see from the side of the RJ11.

<<<<<===RJ-11 TAB DOWN===pin1-yellow ===>> pin1-yellow===RJ-11 TAB DOWN===>>>>>

hai to VRCOP.jpg

Thanks Pete,
I still can't get it to work from the Omni, but at least i know the cable is right. (lucky for me, I'm running low on connectors ;) )
The reason for this Z-wave experiment is I bought some somfy shade motors and thought to automate them via Z-wave.
They won't be seen inside my house until I can get them working here because, well you married guys know why.

If the serial cable is now good, & the Omni serial port is set to Z-Wave & I can operate my test switch from the leviton install app &
I have set the associations to the VRC0P, how can I further troubleshoot ?

Thanks
Paul

Note that originally I programmed my VRCOP with the Vizia RF+ device...that was a few years back.

I have never programmed it with a computer connection.

Recently  updated my VRCOP with the Z-Wave node information from my Homeseer Z-Wave Z-Wave GPIO card.

I just told Homeseer to send the Z-Wave data to the VRCOP and put the VRCOP in receiving mode.

I can turn on and off my switch from the Homeseer application and / or the HAI OP2 panel.  One doesn't see the other though.

Rich from Homeseer said to set the association in the current test Z-Wave switch to the VRCOP (which I can see with the Homeseer application) such that the VRCOP would see status if I turn the switch on with the Homeseer Z-Wave controller.  The association though here is ghosted out.

I set the test Z-Wave switch next to my VRCOP.  The VRCOP is plugged in to an outlet above the panel.  I stood there with a wireless laptop running PCA and turned on and off the switch (node).  I could here it an see the LED going on and off.

I am guessing you configured the z-wave node number with PCA, saved it and uploaded it to the panel? 

Here are pictures.

zwavenode8.jpg

Pnord said:

If the serial cable is now good, & the Omni serial port is set to Z-Wave & I can operate my test switch from the leviton install app &
I have set the associations to the VRC0P, how can I further troubleshoot ?

Thanks
Paul
Sounds like you did everything... just to double check:

-The Leviton USB installer stick was used to include the switch in the network?
-the vrcop was included in the network as well? (Have to be for associations, as I recall.)
-you may associate, but this is not required to send commands from the Omni side, it only gets involved in some status data sent back to the Omni
-you replicated the network in to the vrcop? (I didn't see you mention this step yet)
-vrcop plugged in near Omni and serial cable attached?
-power cycle vrcop after serial attach (I had some funny issues with mine not seeming to work. I'm suspicious that the panel in my case needed to see the initial serial message from the vrcop when it starts, but not really sure.)

Back