Favorite power strips?

wkearney99

I do plan on using a couple of Leviton's PDU inside the structured cans. But I have a couple of places where nailing up a power strip is needed. The electrical closet, mainly, is where I need a few strips. Powering up the FIOS ONT, the alarm system, a camera DVR, etc. I may or may not also keep a few other things on the wall here.

Any preferences on power strips? Sure, there's a ton of cheapies out there, but I'm willing to spend a bit if there's good reasons.

Furman with power conditioning is my absolute fave.

There are others I like with "remote reboot" and the like, so you'd need to determine what you really want/need.

The transformer spacing on some is very helpful. No two wall warts ever seem to use the same spacing or orientation.

As I'm setting all this gear up I'm aiming to avoid a lot of the half-assed nonsense that's typically been done. Neat, orderly and secured against accidental disruption. As in, doesn't look like crap and can withstand someone accidentally bumping something against it.

DELInstallations said:
Furman with power conditioning is my absolute fave.
I recall having one of their rack-mounted ones on some gear a long time ago. Nice stuff. At some point I'll start to look into the power conditioning and battery backup on the AV rack. I've got the power distribution handled on that and the CPU racks.

For this question I'm talking about strips screwed up to the plywood. The bugger is one of the devices is a big honkin' brick of a transformer for the alarm panel. I'll likely just run another outlet for it and use it's screw terminal clip to secure it. That and I'm likely going to have at least 'some kind' of UPS involved here. Don't need much capacity, just enough to carry things (uninterrupted) until the generator kicks in.

I'd get a FACP transformer in a metal housing and direct wire 120VAC and then use a nipple to get to the alarm panel....no way it can be unplugged and it's 100% compliant.

Many municipalities around here prefer this over a plug in transformer for alarm installations with fire alarm.

This Legrand mini power strip looks nifty, for the Elk transformer (though not sure if that big brick would fit on it):

359_image1_AC1031.jpg

It's designed for an enclosure.

http://www.cepro.com/best/details/enclosure_power_strip_module_ac1031/

DEL - can you recommend a particular wire-in transformer for the M1?  I know some jurisdictions require it but a quick search didn't turn up on that would be safely enclosed - just the typical Doorbell-style ones are all I found.

For stuff like mentioned in the OP, I've started to use APC UPS units. I currently have (3) of them in my home, and will be adding a 4th soon.

- Office
- Utility room (for structured wiring cans)
- Living room TV (TV continues to work great through short power outages)
- Media closet for living room AV equipment

Keeping things like my CCTV DVR, cable modem, router, network switches, etc on battery backup has become almost a must for me... and I rarely have outages.

@ Work:

Almost every manufacturer offers some sort of wire in Xformer, but the easiest and most common I'd say to find would be an Ademco/Honeywell 1451

OK - same transformer style - just in an enclosure.  Hard to say if I'd take that over a wall wart in the bottom of a can, given the choice.  Thx for posting.

The 1451 is listed for fire service and has a circuit breaker on it. Different than a wall wart or those with a PTC.

The also offer enclosures that mount over a single gang to enclose the transformer, but those are intended to prevent tampering more than anything else.

Back