Garage wall opens

cobrahd1999

I am wondering how to add a wall opener near the door I have one on the front wall but like to have one on the back wall near the door can that be done.
thanks this is my 1st post.

You'll want to search posts whenever you've got a question. What you'll notice in the search results is it helps greatly to post a much information as possible along with the question. Nobody here knows what kind of door opener you've got, or how it's connected currently. Nor do we have any guess as to what budget you have in mind. That and have you checked with the maker of the door opener to see what they have to offer in the way of additional control options?

Its a lift master. I have 2 doors what I am trying to do is be able to open or close the doors without going to the front to do it. Like the old day with a door bell button or switch makes no difference to me.

If what you want to do is add a second button on the back wall so that you can open and close the door, all you have to do is wire the second button to the same screw terminals on the garage door opener that the other button goes to.  i.e. wire it in parallel with the first button.

Yes, your second button gets wired to the garage door opener unit itself.   Depending on the age and model of your garage door opener, there may be 2 wires or in some cases 4 wires going to the control unit on the wall.   If there are just 2 wires, it should be simple.  Just connect the two new wires from the second button to the same screw terminals as the first one goes to.    Before you do that, you can test that this will work by just shorting the two screw terminals together with a short piece of wire or a paper clip.

If there are 4 wires, then you will need to figure out which are the right ones to connect the new push button to. 

If you can tell us the model number of your Liftmaster, it will be easier for us to help you figure this out.  The model number should be on one side of the motor unit.  Often, it is under the plastic light cover.

http://www.liftmaster.com/NR/rdonlyres/45754D49-0CA9-4820-AEF0-71F1BFD9C6D8/1/WebSerialNumLookup3.pdf

If the liftmaster has a smart control unit you can't just add another smart control unit. It doesn't work. Also if you add a doorbell button to the same wiring as the smart control unit your smart control unit will never display the correct time because you';; reset it each time the doorbell button is used.

So once again, Johnny 5 needs more input:

Model Number and a pic of the existing control unit you have will definitely help you get accurate information on how to do what you are looking to do.

BSR's solution is the simplest by far; however it can be hardwired as well; I personally have always ditched the smart control in favor of a regular button - so in that scenario, you could have multiple simple buttons; or you can run the wires from the new button back to the original button and solder to the same terminals that the button connects to - that way it's just like pressing the button on the smart remote.

However, I'd still just Velcro a remote to the other wall.

Back