Obi + Google Voice Ending May 15 2014

Monk

Just got the email reminding me that May 15 is the last day - it offers some VOIP alternatives but - what are you all planning to do? Any other inexpensive hardware that will work with Google Voice?

I followed the Obi instructions to sign up with another VOIP provider with pay as you go inbound/outbound.  And forwarded my GV to it.  The costs are around $10/month including E911 but I don't make a lot of calls.

Not sure what will happen with the upcoming move to merge GV with G+ Hangouts....

Some more information stuff....

http://www.ooma.com/node/1420

An update on Google Voice

We are rolling out a new version of the Google+ Hangouts app (goo.gl/XkHn03) for Android, which includes support for SMS and MMS messages. While this is a great step forward, we still have a lot of work to do, specifically around Google Voice: 

- Unfortunately, today’s update does not work with Google Voice numbers unless you’ve enabled Google Voice on your Sprint phone. But rest assured, we’re working to support SMS messages for all Google Voice phone numbers by early next year. And don’t worry, your Voice number will go unchanged. 

- We hear you loud and clear: you want Google Voice phone numbers outside the US and to support MMS. We are listening and working hard to make this happen, but we need to work with carriers and this can take some time. 

- Finally, we want to make Google Voice as secure as possible. There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we’re notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014.  

We know that communicating with your friends and family should be easy and that you want one app that can do it all. We’re working hard to deliver that experience for everyone.  It will take some time before Google Voice is fully integrated into Hangouts, and we appreciate your patience along the way.

https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSinghal/posts/MjyncJEbzxK

I have also been using Ooma for about a year now (though not with a Google phone number) and really like it.  I have the premium plan with two phone lines and use a NetCallerID device with their "Lynx" (wireless phone jack) unit.

The only thing I can't seem to get working is a bluetooth connection to my cell phone.  It worked with my older phone, but when I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S4, I see it 'paired' but the rings will not go through.

Well, damn.  I've been using 2 GV numbers with Asterisk for about a year and a half now and it's been great.  Now I guess I'll need to find a decent SIP provider.

Will look into the OOMA - thanks Pete & BSR. 

Anyone know of other alternatives?

I got Obi's email message recommending two other systems that can be used with the Obi device.  Have no idea what they are like... ;)

Anveo and Phone Power Provide Phone Service for Under $40 per Year - Exclusive to OBiTALK Users Only!

You may or may not know it, but your OBi can be used with many Internet phone (VoIP) services. That's just one of the benefits of owning an OBi. A new service can be easily configured from the OBiTALK website and used on your OBi in seconds. Multiple offers are available - with some starting at under $3 per month

pete_c said:
Consumer Reports did rate 26 VOIP providers in last months issue.

That looks like it is only companies that provide a complete solution?  I wouldn't expect CR to report on items that need technical set up.   I have a toll free number with Vitelity and am happy with them.  Will probably go to them to replace a non-toll free GV number soon.

A bit off topic but I did use GV softphone to call US numbers from Asia recently.  It worked great and I think that feature is being kept. 

Ooma is a great service - totally underrated because they don't spend the obscene amounts of money on advertising that Vonage does.

For SIP providers, Anveo I've heard great things about - but I've personally  been using Voip.MS for a couple years now - they're great - I pay as I go - drop in $25 every 6-8 months maybe and I have 3 or 4 phone numbers with them along with caller ID.  I ran FreePBX then 3CX for a while in my house, but switched to voip.ms because they have full phone system capabilities through their system with music on hold, ring groups, etc - and I don't have to deal with security or firewall settings or the quality of my home internet connection - so I can make/take business calls via a softphone client when I'm out away from home.  My voicemails also get emailed to me.

I actually love having my phones the way they are - if I don't answer my cell, it goes to my GV number which simultaneously rings the cell again, but also my voip.ms number which has the CallerID lookup so I know who's really calling.  Also handy when I leave my cell phone somewhere - I still get my calls at my desk.

I am using Callcentric.  Make sure you get one that can spoof your callerID number so the people you call see your GV number.  I basically just went down the list of supported VOIP providers on the obihai site and compared prices, features, and websites.

I went with Vestalink.  It originally was called ObiVoice and I got 2 years of unlimited service for $60.00.  I think they have changed their pricing since then and they offer a $59.99 for 2 yr, but limited minutes and a 2 yr unlimited calling for $79.99.  

Thought I had better get this done - just went with PhonePower. Paid $34.95 for a years service. Configuration was painless and it works fine.

So been having a lot of outgoing call issues with Callcentric where people couldn't hear me even though I could hear them just fine.  I decided to look into changing my provider on the Obihai.   I was pleasantly surprised to find the Google Voice options available again with no need for an intermediary provider.   Not sure what happened with the the whole Google Voice 3rd party support issues, but I could find no warnings about it on the Obihai website.  It works through Google Chat like before.

So I reconfigured for Google Voice and signed back up with Anveo E911 and cancelled Callcentric.  Everything tested out fine.

Mine never stopped working. Actually, everyone I know who uses the obi and GV never stopped working.

Back