ELK Warranty & Support for Retail Customers?

FreefallDoug

I see that there are authorized retailers on the ELK site, and I also see that there are unauthorized retailers with standalone website and on Amazon that are selling the elk-m1gsys4 for about 200 bucks less than the authorized retailers.

I read on one of the authorized retailers websites that ELK doesn't offer technical support to retailer customers only installers.

So if that is correct I guess the only difference between a authorized retailer and a unauthorized one is if they both have a similar length and term warranty.

How long is the warranty if you buy it from an authorized retail reseller?

Am I missing something here?

I obviously won't be buying from an amazon retailer, but there are some bigger home security websites that I would place faith in their RMA/warranty.

According to ELK's web site:

"WARNING! THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES ARE UNAUTHORIZED RESELLERS OF ELK PRODUCTS.  ANY ELK PRODUCT PURCHASED FROM THESE COMPANIES WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED AND THE WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED.  (This list is not conclusive.)"

http://www.elkproducts.com/unauthorized.html

However, I have heard of cases where Elk has honored the warranty anyway.  But I wouldn't buy from an unauthorized dealer with the assumption that Elk will make an exception.

I didn't know what the warranty actually was.  Found this in the M1 installation manual:

---
The ELK-M1 and its associated component products are warranted by Elk Products, Inc. (“Manufacturer”) against defects in
material and workmanship for a period of two (2) years from the date of manufacture. If product is found to be defective during
the first 180 days, manufacturer may allow an over the counter exchange, subject to inspection and approval by one of it’s
representatives. Manufacturer’s obligations under this Limited Warranty shall be limited to repairing or replacing, at its option,
free of charge, during this warranty period, any product returned to Manufacturer freight prepaid. After the expiration of the
warranty period, product will be repaired based on a fixed charge per device.
---

The above makes no mention of authorized or unauthorized resellers.   Does the statement on Elk's website trump the printed warranty?

For that matter, where are these unauthorized sellers getting their product from?   Directly from Elk?  The back door of an authorized reseller?

sda said:
I didn't know what the warranty actually was.  Found this in the M1 installation manual:

---
The ELK-M1 and its associated component products are warranted by Elk Products, Inc. (“Manufacturer”) against defects in
material and workmanship for a period of two (2) years from the date of manufacture. If product is found to be defective during
the first 180 days, manufacturer may allow an over the counter exchange, subject to inspection and approval by one of it’s
representatives. Manufacturer’s obligations under this Limited Warranty shall be limited to repairing or replacing, at its option,
free of charge, during this warranty period, any product returned to Manufacturer freight prepaid. After the expiration of the
warranty period, product will be repaired based on a fixed charge per device.
---

The above makes no mention of authorized or unauthorized resellers.   Does the statement on Elk's website trump the printed warranty?

For that matter, where are these unauthorized sellers getting their product from?   Directly from Elk?  The back door of an authorized reseller?

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that, in general, manufacturers do not have to honor their warranty if you bought the item from an unauthorized dealer.  This gets complicated by the fact that some states have laws that say the manufacturers do have to honor the warranty no matter where you bought it.  New York is one example.  But since ELK is in NC, I'm not sure New York would have any legal means to enforce that law.

I am not questioning ELK's ability to not honor the warranty. That is why I wouldn't buy it from a amazon seller.

That being said, website x on that unauthorized retailer list is selling one of the kits for 505, claims to offer free tech support, and is offering a 1 year warranty, honored by themselves not ELK.

So if ELK won't offer technical support to retail customers as a blanket policy I have two options:
- Buy from a authorized retailer, pay 200 more, count on the authorized retailer for tech support if needed which may not happen, and get a 2 year warranty.
- Buy from website x, pay 200 less, count on their claim of free tech support, and get a 1 year warranty.

Is the 200 worth the extra year warranty?

Do keep in mind that in order to download software and firmware updates from the Elk site, you need an account - which will be verified by your serial number.  While I don't think they'd be that harsh as to lock you out, it's technically something they could do.

Whichever way you go, keep in mind that Elk isn't in a position to do much direct support - so whoever you buy from should be helpful as well.  I know if you bought from Automated Outlet, they would have the knowledge and expertise to help you.  I don't know which other vendor you're considering so I can't say one way or the other.

I have many M1's out there and have had only a single panel failure (EZ8 aux power died) but I deal with trade distribution. I have had to RMA/send units for repair on a prorated basis.

I can't comment as to what gives you the warm fuzzy feeling vs. price. Personally, I'd go with authorized wherever possible.

You might ask Automated Outlet if they still do price matching, or at least a compromise on price.  Their reputation, at least on this site, is as good as it gets.  They took good care of me when I was configuring my first system.

Work2Play said:
Do keep in mind that in order to download software and firmware updates from the Elk site, you need an account - which will be verified by your serial number. 
This makes me think............couldn't I  buy the controller from an authorized dealer and the peripherals from a discount house and have a full manufacturer's warranty om the whole deal and acess to Elk's online resources?

Mike.

mikefamig said:
This makes me think............couldn't I  buy the controller from an authorized dealer and the peripherals from a discount house and have a full manufacturer's warranty om the whole deal and acess to Elk's online resources?

Mike.
I'd like to add that I am not looking to do anything underhanded but I'm an old timer and when I'm spending thousands of dollars I want to negotiate. I am disappointed that a company is not willing to give a discount to keep a sale from going elsewhere. I cancurrently get a 10% coupon for homecontrols.com but they have had 15% and even 20% events in the past and I have a ard time paying the current price with Memorial day just around the corner.

Mike.

Just make sure you are comparing 'apples' to 'apples' when getting an M1 kit as there seems to be a lot of different combinations offered by vendors out there.

Again, we recommend a vendor that is a member of our vendor alliance program.  Cocoontech's dedication to great customer service to our membership is paramount, which is why this program was started. ;)

BraveSirRobbin said:
Just make sure you are comparing 'apples' to 'apples' when getting an M1 kit as there seems to be a lot of different combinations offered by vendors out there.

Again, we recommend a vendor that is a member of our vendor alliance program.  Cocoontech's dedication to great customer service to our membership is paramount, which is why this program was started. ;)
I wasn't aware of the vendor's alliance. Do you have a list of members?

Mike.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Hmmm, I just looked at the listing and it does need to be updated.  Will have to look into that as I know Automated Outlet, ASIHome and AARTECH.ca are members.  This is something we need to make known so more vendors can participate (work in progress...) ;)

http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/cocoontech-vendor-alliance
I just searched CTVA on this site and did some reading and I like it. I see the logo on automated outlet's site but haven't been able to find a list of vendors yet. I place a value on the help and advice tha I've gotten here too and will look for the CTVA logo while shopping.

I have found homecontrols.com (not a ctva member) to be generous with their time in helping me design a system and plan to buy from them at this point but right now I plan to go back to hanging sheetrock in my garage and wait for the Memorial Day sales to come around in a couple of weeks.

Mike.

Back