Email notifier board

rsw686

The release notes for firmware 3.13 released on May 5th mentions an email notifier board. I haven't been able to find any more information on when it will be available or how much it will cost.

- Added Support for E-Mail Board.  The new E-Mail board may be configured from within PC Access 3.  In order to use this feature you must have a network capable controller with firmware version 3.13 or higher.  You must also have at least one serial port configured for the E-Mail board protocol.

Very neato update.

Flash version 313 is dated 04/28/2014
PCA V 3.13.0.751 is dated 05/06/2014

Release Notes state:

PC Access Version 3.13.0.751 (05/May/2014)

- Controller firmware 3.13 released:
  - Added support for Omni Notifier email board.
  - Improved compatibility with Dynalite DUS-804C light/motion sensor.
  - Modified to reset UPB PIM to message mode once an hour in case it somehow gets changed.
  - Improved responsiveness of Omni-Link 2 notifications.
  - Improved Z-Wave command processing.

- Added Support for E-Mail Board.  The new E-Mail board may be configured from within PC Access 3.  In order to use this feature you must have a network capable controller with firmware version 3.13 or higher.  You must also have at least one serial port configured for the E-Mail board protocol.

- Corrected several foreign language translation errors.

- Corrected problem where OmniTouch 7 firmware files were appearing as new even though they had been previously downloaded.

It does cause a personal serial port capacity conundrum here.
Looks like:

Attachments

• EmailMessage-0.jpg
    EmailMessage-0.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 118
  • EmailMessage.jpg
    EmailMessage.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 108
Thank you JonW.

Personally it would have been easier to utilize the terminals or make it a daughter board thing than to utilize one of the on board serial ports.  None the less;  its a welcome addition.

It would have been nice if the email notifier board also had a NTP time sync function like Elk.

Not to jump in on the wrong thread (being an Elk guy), but I'm surprised to see that their new product is just as limited as Elk's from the looks of things - with a few email addresses to choose from and static email text strings.  If I were the product developer I would've blown my competitor's shortcomings out of the water, not matched what they had for many years!

Agree with you Work2Play.  It should have variable support in the strings so that you can embed zone names/numbers, units, etc. into the text strings.  Lot's of things they could have done.

On a positive note, there is an option in PCA for doing a firmware update to the notifier board, so maybe they'll add additional features down the road.  Oh wait, this is HAI we're talking about. :(

rsw686 said:
The release notes for firmware 3.13 released on May 5th mentions an email notifier board. I haven't been able to find any more information on when it will be available or how much it will cost.

That's one the feature I want to implement in my Arduino project. I guess mine will be cheaper and won't require and hardware or firmware update (older boards cannot flash the upgrades).

Will still use a serial port, to Pete_c dismay...

It seems since the Omni already has IP connectivity, adding this feature really shouldn't require any additional hardware, but maybe this feature would exceed their available firmware free space.

Work2Play said:
Not to jump in on the wrong thread (being an Elk guy), but I'm surprised to see that their new product is just as limited as Elk's from the looks of things - with a few email addresses to choose from and static email text strings.  If I were the product developer I would've blown my competitor's shortcomings out of the water, not matched what they had for many years!
Well, lets just say that HAI's software abilities have never been on the cutting edge of technology.  The fact that they are discovering email as a form of communication should be applauded.  Give them another 10 years, and who knows, they could even add a built-in web server. Of course, it will likely use up the 4 other serial ports. :eek:

http://www.homecontrols.com/homecontrols/products/pdfs/LV-Leviton/LV20A301_Brochure.pdf

$159?? Rather expensive.

You have to love the picture they are using in their brochure.  So a woman, maybe in an airplane, is looking at her phone with a smirk.  Hmmm...  Maybe she rigged her house to burn down, after she tied up her husband inside.  "Just got the text message for a gas alarm. Good. Good. Wait, the smoke alarm just went off. Perfect..." 

rsw686 said:
It would have been nice if the email notifier board also had a NTP time sync function like Elk.
Looks like it has it:  Network Time Synchronization

But does it have SSL, like most emails require in 2014? Probably not. Or maybe that is why it requires extra hardware?

Also, where they show it being mounted above the board doesn't look like it will work if you already have extra zones installed.

Wondering how this would fit over my expansion boards?

Yeah the brochure is interesting....

Attachments

• emailboard.jpg
    emailboard.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 59
"Now just waiting for the insurance money to be wired to my account in the Grand Cayman Island."

I've got two hardwire expanders stacked, so this will need a different location.
Probably on the top of the can next to the voice board.

Happy to see this finally.

Back