Elk M1 installer in Los Angeles?

kaveman

Looking to see if there are any installers in the LA area.  I already have a functioning professionally installed alarm set-up (mostly wired), but need help w/ home automation capabilities. 

What sort of help do you need?  The Elk is easy enough to master - if you're interested in learning, this site is a great resource to help you learn the specifics.  You might also be able to use someone remotely if you need assistance with setup and programming.

I think I'd have no problems in at least attempting to expand it HA capabilities on my own.  I've been lurking around these forums for a bit, in attempting to get some info to try this.  I also have no problem in having someone (for instance a paid 'consultant') remotely program/set-up things. 

Here's the current state of the system:

A) security/fire: (functioning)
-hard-wired doors/windows (w/ the exception of one wireless one), split into 12 zones
-2 wired motion detectors
-2-wire smokes

B) automation: (not really working)
-3 UPB switches

I think part of the problem is that the installer was techinically really good at security part, but may be not so much at the HA part?  Anyway, there is also a solar PV system in the house, so may be that is interfering with the power line signals.  Of course, the reason I selected the Elk to begin with was to do at least 'some' HA stuff, and expand from there, so it's been a little disappointing (hence the reason for me branching out on my own to learn more about the system).  I even bought the Home Controls UPB System Design book, but it's somewhat beyond me.  I briefly perused Elk's webinars.  Some directions I think could work:

-switching over from UPB to Z-wave (for several switches/outlets).  This should avoid any solar PV interference issues.  I'm thinking some of the Leviton stuff.
-also, adding two Z-wave thermostats (the Nest and new Honeywell wifi models look nice, but having rules hooking the t-stat in to the overall system sounds compelling). I don't think installing wired thermostats are practical in my case.

I did play around w/ ElkRP2 and wrote up a few rules for the garage door (I added a wireless GE sensor, since a Elk/GE transceiver was part of the install).  It's been a while since that part was online, so not sure if the non-SSL email is working still (it's getting harder to find those services).  I don't have the keypad installer code, but assume that a factory reset (?) might get me that functionality if needed. 

Anyway, that's where it at.  At this point, any help is much appreciated.  Thanks.

kv

Have you tried the default installer code of 172839?   If it was changed, you need to contact your installer to find out what it is.  If you can't get the code, there is no way to reset it without sending it back to Elk.

Thanks.  I tried the default previously- it appears to have been changed.  I guess there's certain things that can only be done thru the keypad?  I'll ask them for the installer code.

Back