Anyone monitoring Cameras with Synology OR QNAP?

tmbrown97

Just as the title says - I'm curious if anyone is monitoring their cameras via Synology's app using that as a storage device.  I have someone I'm working with who needs a NAS anyway and will likely run more than one to synchronize certain data between their homes.  They're also looking for cameras that can watch the house and be extremely easy to pull up on a phone or computer - likely something easier to use than a traditional black box NVR and with a better interface.

Can anyone say one way or another?  Since the Synology isn't the highest powered device I want to make sure it can handle the load of at least 12-15 cameras without breaking a sweat, otherwise I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks!

We are building a new home at a remote location, currently a detached garage has been completed. A mobotix camera and synology diskstation are at the location, the diskstation provides storage only and we currently utilize the cameras built-in software . In the process of installing a tower and axis camera and will be looking at utilizing the synology camera management software once the axis camera is active. The mobotix software is quite good and there are apps for iPhone/ipad that are very good. Works well in a browser as well, including sound. From what I have read about the synology diskstation 12-15 cameras should not be an issue, of course all depends on what graphics quality load you are throwing at it. Try mxinstaller.com they have some videos on using synology and other vendor NAS's and their capabilities. 

We also have a synology diskstation at our current home. Backups are made from our current location to the new location for our offsite storage.

FlyingDiver said:
I'm very happy with my Synology NAS and am considering using it (or a new one) for security capture.  They have an app  on their website to tell you which NAS you need to handle different numbers of cameras.  See http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/nvr_selector.
What camera's are you using?
I have an older Synology. with Foscam camera. Its hit or miss. DS110J. Not sure if its the age of it??
I was looking into Qnap for reliability.

Mp333 said:
What camera's are you using?
I have an older Synology. with Foscam camera. Its hit or miss. DS110J. Not sure if its the age of it??
I was looking into Qnap for reliability.

I'm not currently doing image capture.  I meant I was considering it for our new build.

yeah I'll be adding it soon for my own house as well and can experiment with it - I'm just working on two separate properties for a particular client - one will have 6 -10 cameras; the other will have closer to 20 (interior coverage as well) but this client would require a perfect easy-to-use app that ideally pulls in both homes.

I really like some of the mobotix hemispheric cameras - they'd be great for this application - but I need IR.  I'm still trying to decide on exactly which cameras to present.

Synology works great with my 4 camera setup. Each camera is 2 megapixel and I have no issues. Been running it for years. The fact that Synology does so many other great things so well is icing on the cake.

So looking at this more, the Synology iOS app has terrible reviews - and QNap seems to have some more security-centric devices; I'm leaning that way now... anyone use that one?

I have three installations that need a decision ASAP... two for the same client - 8-12 cameras on one; about 16-20 at the other; then another client currently running 8 cameras but will likely go up to 20+

Any other suggestions or thoughts?  I just need extremely simple usability for my end users.

I have an older QNap 8 camera NVR. I hardly use it but for backup.  It uses ActiveX which I didn't love. I was going to try to take advantage of the easy expandability but another box would have cost me about $1200 with hard drives and my older model was phased out, so I went with Blue Iris instead primarily for price. 

Hi work2play. I was surprised by your comment about poor ios app reviews. I took,a look in App Store and see what you mean. But, I have no issues and more importantly my wife has no issues using the app. So not sure, maybe too many clueless people using el cheapo cameras or don't understand SSL because I just turned off my wifi so I'm using 4g and used https to access surveillance station no problem. Some much older versions did have some bugs, like the https if I remember right, but that's was a long time ago.

+1

I am DIYing my stuff and still do not see what I would consider a fit into my automation stuff in the NVRs that I have looked at.

I would like to see a per channel analog event trigger on the NVR.  (guess a bit of the old and a bit of the new).

I think there might be something out there.  I do see it on IP HD cams today. 

In general what is most popular today relates to the whole monitoring on the cell phone thing; no matter how or what. 

Personally I have seen this and no real care about any security relating to said phone application or NVR.

I'm still trying to figure out if the QNap dedicated NVR's would be a good fit or if there's something better.  I think we'll be doing Mobotix hemispherical cameras around the property - I know they like to be decentralized, but I still need a single app that can be fired up for all the cameras there and ideally at his other properties, and on the surface the QNap app looks great.  I just need to actually play with it.

Anyone have any other NVR's with great iOS apps worth looking at?

Back