Home Automation Software

shane94

Our entire house is wired with Simply Automated switches and a Elk M1 gold. I am having a hard time finding a list of home automation software that works with those systems. I am mainly interested in the SA stuff. So far the only one i see that works with SA/UpStart is HomeSeer. I have tried seraching so if this has been covered sorry for the un needed post :)

Regards
Shane

What is it you are looking to do with your UPB stuff that the ELk M1 Gold cannot do today?

My UPB switches mostly talk amongst themselves and I leave them alone program wise (Upstart)

Software (Homeseer) mainly does the interaction with other automation hardware that the panel cannot do.

I just mainly want to be able to set up events, ie turn lights on and off at certian points. I would also like to have a app for android.
Thank you
Shane

The problem that I have with the Elk and UPB is that if you use "scenes" then the M1G cannot properly maintain the status of lights controlled via the scene.  I have not yet started running some kind of HA software ( I use the M1G) so I battle this issue constantly.  Well, I don't battle it....I just don't expect the light statuses to be correct.

CQC probably isn't the 'quick weekend test run' type of program. It's a pro level product and has some spin-up, but the payoff is well worth it in terms of power and flexibility.

The other gotcha is that 4.5 is about to come out and it's go SO many improvements that the current version is sort of pale in comparison now. Actually 4.5 has some improvements that would sort of make it practical to quickly test it, through our new auto-generation system, but it's not officially out yet. Well it's out in a very late, solid beta, but the documentation is just now getting updated, so it's easier for existing experienced users right now than for a newbie.

Still, you could try the current version, and just project it upwards in your mind a good number of notches, and that's what it would really be like. The big change is that we have finally moved completely over into a modern, gesture based user interface system. So it just feels more modern now. 98% of the 4.4 docs are still valid for the new system, there's just a lot of new stuff that's not covered there.

Go to the web site and then the Learn section then the Tutorial Videos section. Watch the auto-generation videos in particular. The new auto-gen system is a lot nicer, but it'll give you an idea of what's involved to set it up like that.

With the current announcement confirming a future for it, I can one again recommend Elve as the only software needed. Very easy to use and can do anything you would want it to. At least take a look at it.

Frunple said:
With the current announcement confirming a future for it, I can one again recommend Elve as the only software needed. Very easy to use and can do anything you would want it to. At least take a look at it.
I'm not so sure I read into it that there will be a future. Finding a group of coders to support and possibley enhance it might be a challange.  I tried ELVE once and liked the structure but I never could get the communications to my HAI panel working trouble-free. Maybe the new version wil be better.

Ok guys got homeseer up and running ;) Got all the UPB hooked in and now playing with the Kinect using voice commands. This is gonna get expensive LOL.
Thanks for the info and help!

BTW, re my post above... Here is a little demo video. I go from a freshly installed system to a pretty nice setup in about 11 minutes. The real thing would take a little longer since I'm using mostly simulator drivers for this video. The real drivers (Elk, Omni, Lutron, etc...) would require you to do some configuration, mainly to tell it what thermos, areas, zones, lights, etc... you want the driver to use. But, that's not rocket science or anything.

Once the drivers are loaded, it sets up 'room configuration' where you define what resources (available from the drivers loaded) you want to make available, then you configure a set of rooms and what resources should available to each room and the screen resolutions you want to support. Then we run the generation tool to spit out the user interfaces in the configured resolutions.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/PostImages/4_5Previews/Auto-GenDemo.wmv

For whatever reason Camtasia forces my desktop back to the basic theme, which is why it looks like that. I have to log out and back in to get the Win7 theme back.

Anyhoo, you can see that it can generate a lot of functionality for you fairly easily. Most of this can be used as is. In some cases you might want some user logic to be run at certain places, and those are provided for, though it's not demonstrated in this video since you couldn't see any external hardware anyway. But you can for each room define an action to run upon entry to the music or movie sections, upon selection of a new room to view, and to be associated with power on/off buttons in the music and movie sections. These actions can be used to setup hardware, as required.

As soon as 4.5 goes out, we will go right back to upgrading more drivers to our V2 architecture to support the auto-gen system, and to adding more features to the auto-gen, so that it can do more for you. We just had so many new capabilities already that we had to stop here and get a release out.

ano said:
I'm not so sure I read into it that there will be a future. Finding a group of coders to support and possibley enhance it might be a challange.  I tried ELVE once and liked the structure but I never could get the communications to my HAI panel working trouble-free. Maybe the new version wil be better.
Just tried the new free version of Elve and it locks up when connecting to my HAI OmniPro II with 3.13 firmware.  

potts.mike said:
CQC supports both the elk and upb. It also has a 3rd party android app.

Can you please direct me to this Android app? I haven't been able to find it in the Google Play store. Lack of Android control is one of the main things currently turning me off to CQC.

Thanks.

Back