Considering OpenHAB any other contenders?

Hi All

Been a HomeSeer user for several years. Bought the HS3 upgrade and have never deployed. You basically have to start over. Given the effort is marginally less than starting over with a new product, I decided it was time to reevaluate offerings. Issues I have with Homeseer are:

• There are serious resource leaks in the server that force me to reboot the server every few days
  • iOS client won't reconnect after reboot. It quits and you have to reboot. I have wall mounted, always-on screens, so i have go round the hosue and restart them all every few days
  • The UI designer has dreadful usability issues and may bugs.
  • Takes way too long to get critical bugs fixed

I downloaded a demo of  Indigo and was 90% certain I was going to change to Indigo, but their UI designer is dreadful (doesn't have alignment/distribution tools; can't locate items by coordinates, etc) and plugins are in Python, which I'm in no hurry to learn. I'm tired of working with 90's style UI design tools and all the limitations. Ultimately, I want to build my own HTML client, but would need to use their out of the box offering for a few months

I recently started doing more Javascript stuff at work (vs. .NET) and love it. There are great frameworks out there (currently learning Angular) and great widgets. If I don't like widget A, I just go and find another one. If I don't like HomeSeer's widget A: tough. I posted a forum message here about why I want an HTML client: http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.php?p=1125308&postcount=1

Anyway, I stumbled across OpenHAB at the weekend. It looks reasonably mature now. The things I NEED are good support for :
  • Serial messaging
  • IP messaging
  • Z-wave (about 30 devices: mostly lights and dimmers)
Ideally:
  • DCS Alarm system integration (RS232) (almost made it to the "need" list)
  • 1-wire
  • NEST

Is anyone running OpenHAB with z-wave?

Should I be looking at anything else?

Regards

Mark

Mark,

Have you installed OpenHAB on any machine yet to give it a spin?

I like reading about openHAB as it runs at any standard Windows, MacOS X or Linux machine with Java 1.7.

You wrote about Indigo before.  Will you be installing openHAB on a MacOS based computer?

Unrelated to home automation had a look at the following POS software and its related touchscreen stuff.

I was impressed with the methologies of the screen designs with connectivity to the back end DB.  Very easy and ran on anything.  All I did with it was a default configuration and it was quick and easy.

http://centralrepository.openbravo.com/heartbeat-server/org.openbravo.forge.ui/ForgeProjectDetail/openbravopos

pete_c said:
Mark,

Have you installed OpenHAB on any machine yet to give it a spin?

I like reading about openHAB as it runs at any standard Windows, MacOS X or Linux machine with Java 1.7.

You wrote about Indigo before.  Will you be installing openHAB on a MacOS based computer?

Unrelated to home automation had a look at the following POS software and its related touchscreen stuff.

I was impressed with the methologies of the screen designs with connectivity to the back end DB.  Very easy and ran on anything.  All I did with it was a default configuration and it was quick and easy.

http://centralrepository.openbravo.com/heartbeat-server/org.openbravo.forge.ui/ForgeProjectDetail/openbravopos

Hi Pete

thanks for reply. have downloaded it, but haven't configured it yet. I fully intend to do that, but before I invest too many hours, I want to know if anyone is using "in production" with a z-wave setup. I don't want to spend a lot of time doing configuration and testing to find it dies when (for example) I hook up more than 10 z-wave devices. I have a few appliance modules, lamp modules, and a multi-sensor that i can test with, but I can't disconnect all my z-wave switches from HomeSeer to test

I have an old MacBookPro laptop I could run on (that's what I was going to run Indigo on), but I'd refer to virtualize on linux if I'm going down the *nix route.

Will take a look at OpenBravo: always on the lookout for new ideas

Regards

mark

Installed the OpenHab Demo.  Next going to try to configure some hardware device.  Started to play a bit.  Playing on Wintel.  Next will try it on Ubuntu 14.04. (Demo first).  Moving Elve over to another wintel pc.

Demo takes a few minutes to install.  There isn't anything to installing the demo except copying over some demo files.

Attachments

• openhab-1.jpg
    openhab-1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 46
  • openhab-2.jpg
    openhab-2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 52
  • openhab-3.jpg
    openhab-3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 40
Pete

Keep us posted on how it goes. OpenHab looks pretty interesting.  How is the "demo" different from the full product? 

How is the "demo" different from the full product?

The demo just gets the software going with no live variables or hardware configurations.

The drivers are just jar files and you configure the variables and hardware in two files.  Just text editing. 

################################## Squeezebox Binding #################################
#
# Host address of your Logitech Media Server
#squeeze:<serverId>.host=
# Port of cli interface of your Logitech Media Server
# (optional, defaults to 9090)
#squeeze:<serverId>.cliport=
# Webport interface of the your Logitech Media Server
# (optional, defaults to 9000)
#squeeze:<serverId>.webport=

# Language used by squeezeboxSpeak as used by google ttl (en, de, fr,...)
# You can hear result in your browser with this link :
# http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=en&q=hello
# (defaults to en)
#squeeze:language=

# Id (MAC address) of your first Squeezebox
#squeeze:<boxId1>.id=
# Id (MAC address) of your nth Squeezebox
#squeeze:<boxIdN>.id=

################################ Z-Wave  Binding ######################################
#
# The Z-Wave controller port. Valid values are e.g. COM1 for Windows and /dev/ttyS0 or
# /dev/ttyUSB0 for Linux
#zwave:port=

# Z-Wave nightly heal time. This is the hour (eg 2AM) at which the automatic nightly
# network heal will be performed.
#zwave:healtime=2

################################# Omnilink ############################################
#
# Enter the port (4369) host ip or name and the two crypto keys for your omni panel.
# The two keys may be found in the installer menu on a HAI keypad or touchscreen. Each
# key is 16 hex characters in pairs separated by colons (aa:bb:cc)
#
# Ff generateItems is set to true then the binding will print all known items and a
# sample sitemap to the log file (INFO).  Useful when setting up for the first time.
#
omnilink:port=4369
omnilink:host=www.xxx.yyy.zzz
omnilink:key1=FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
omnilink:key2=FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
omnilink:generateItems=true

Variables - items are just that - here are the demo.items.  You can name the file anything you want.  IE: for HAI it will be hai.items.

Group All
Group gGF         (All)
Group gFF         (All)
Group gC         (All)
Group Outdoor     (All)
Group Shutters     (All)
Group Weather     (All)
Group Status     (All)

Group GF_Living     "Living Room"     <video>     (gGF)
Group GF_Kitchen     "Kitchen"         <kitchen>     (gGF)
Group GF_Toilet     "Toilet"         <bath>         (gGF)
Group GF_Corridor     "Corridor"         <corridor>     (gGF)

Group FF_Bath         "Bathroom"         <bath>         (gFF)
Group FF_Office     "Office"         <office>     (gFF)
Group FF_Child         "Child's Room"     <boy1>         (gFF)
Group FF_Bed         "Bedroom"         <bedroom>     (gFF)
Group FF_Corridor     "Corridor"         <corridor>     (gFF)

/* active groups */
Group:Switch:OR(ON, OFF)         Lights         "All Lights [(%d)]"                                 (All)
Group:Switch:OR(ON, OFF)         Heating     "No. of Active Heatings [(%d)]"     <heating>         (All)
Group:Number:AVG                 Temperature    "Avg. Room Temperature [%.1f °C]"     <temperature>    (Status)
Group:Contact:OR(OPEN, CLOSED)     Windows     "Open windows [(%d)]"                <contact>        (All)

/* Lights */
Dimmer Light_GF_Living_Table         "Table"         (GF_Living, Lights)
Switch Light_GF_Corridor_Ceiling     "Ceiling"         (GF_Corridor, Lights)
Switch Light_GF_Kitchen_Ceiling     "Ceiling"         (GF_Kitchen, Lights)
Switch Light_GF_Kitchen_Table         "Table"         (GF_Kitchen, Lights)
Switch Light_GF_Corridor_Wardrobe     "Wardrobe"         (GF_Corridor, Lights)
Switch Light_GF_Toilet_Ceiling         "Ceiling"         (GF_Toilet, Lights)
Switch Light_GF_Toilet_Mirror         "Mirror"         (GF_Toilet, Lights)

Switch Light_FF_Bath_Ceiling         "Ceiling"         (FF_Bath, Lights)
Switch Light_FF_Bath_Mirror         "Mirror"         (FF_Bath, Lights)
Switch Light_FF_Corridor_Ceiling     "Corridor"         (FF_Corridor, Lights)
Switch Light_FF_Office_Ceiling         "Ceiling"         (FF_Office, Lights)
Switch Light_FF_Child_Ceiling         "Ceiling"         (FF_Child, Lights)
Switch Light_FF_Bed_Ceiling         "Ceiling"         (FF_Bed, Lights)

Switch Light_C_Corridor_Ceiling     "Ceiling"         (gC, Lights)
Switch Light_C_Staircase             "Staircase"     (gC, Lights)
Switch Light_C_Washing_Ceiling         "Washing"         (gC, Lights)
Switch Light_C_Workshop             "Workshop"         (gC, Lights)

Switch Light_Outdoor_Garage         "Garage"         (Outdoor, Lights)
Switch Light_Outdoor_Terrace         "Terrace"         (Outdoor, Lights)
Switch Light_Outdoor_Frontdoor         "Frontdoor"        (Outdoor, Lights)

/* Heating */
Switch Heating_GF_Corridor     "GF Corridor"     <heating>    (GF_Corridor, Heating)
Switch Heating_GF_Toilet     "Toilet"         <heating>    (GF_Toilet, Heating)
Switch Heating_GF_Living     "Livingroom"     <heating>    (GF_Living, Heating)
Switch Heating_GF_Kitchen     "Kitchen"         <heating>    (GF_Kitchen, Heating)

Switch Heating_FF_Bath         "Bath"             <heating>    (FF_Bath, Heating)
Switch Heating_FF_Office     "Office"         <heating>    (FF_Office, Heating)
Switch Heating_FF_Child     "Child's Room"     <heating>    (FF_Child, Heating)
Switch Heating_FF_Bed         "Bedroom"         <heating>    (FF_Bed, Heating)

/* Rollershutters */
Switch Shutter_all (Shutters)

Rollershutter Shutter_GF_Toilet         "Toilet"        (GF_Toilet, Shutters)
Rollershutter Shutter_GF_Kitchen         "Kitchen"        (GF_Kitchen, Shutters)
Rollershutter Shutter_GF_Living         "Livingroom"    (GF_Living, Shutters)

Rollershutter Shutter_FF_Bed             "Bedroom"        (FF_Bed, Shutters)
Rollershutter Shutter_FF_Bath             "Bath"            (FF_Bath, Shutters)
Rollershutter Shutter_FF_Office_Window    "Office Window"    (FF_Office, Shutters)
Rollershutter Shutter_FF_Office_Door     "Office Door"    (FF_Office, Shutters)

/* Indoor Temperatures */
Number Temperature_GF_Corridor     "Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature>    (Temperature, GF_Corridor)
Number Temperature_GF_Toilet     "Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature>    (Temperature, GF_Toilet)
Number Temperature_GF_Living     "Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature>    (Temperature, GF_Living)
Number Temperature_GF_Kitchen     "Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature>    (Temperature, GF_Kitchen)
Number Temperature_FF_Bath         "Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature>    (Temperature, FF_Bath)
Number Temperature_FF_Office     "Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature>    (Temperature, FF_Office)
Number Temperature_FF_Child     "Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature>    (Temperature, FF_Child)
Number Temperature_FF_Bed         "Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature>    (Temperature, FF_Bed)

/* Windows */
Contact Window_GF_Frontdoor     "Frontdoor [MAP(en.map):%s]"        (GF_Corridor, Windows)
Contact Window_GF_Kitchen         "Kitchen [MAP(en.map):%s]"            (GF_Kitchen, Windows)
Contact Window_GF_Living         "Terrace door [MAP(en.map):%s]"        (GF_Living, Windows)
Contact Window_GF_Toilet         "Toilet [MAP(en.map):%s]"            (GF_Toilet, Windows)

Contact Window_FF_Bath             "Bath [MAP(en.map):%s]"                (FF_Bath, Windows)
Contact Window_FF_Bed             "Bedroom [MAP(en.map):%s]"            (FF_Bed, Windows)
Contact Window_FF_Office_Window "Office Window [MAP(en.map):%s]"    (FF_Office, Windows)
Contact Window_FF_Office_Door     "Balcony Door [MAP(en.map):%s]"        (FF_Office, Windows)

Contact Garage_Door             "Garage Door [MAP(en.map):%s]"        (Outdoor, Windows)

Group Weather_Chart                                                    (Weather)
Number Weather_Temperature         "Outside Temperature [%.1f °C]"    <temperature> (Weather_Chart) { http="<[http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?w=638242&u=c:60000:XSLT(yahoo_weather_temperature.xsl)]" }
Number Weather_Temp_Max         "Todays Maximum [%.1f °C]"    <temperature> (Weather_Chart)
Number Weather_Temp_Min         "Todays Minimum [%.1f °C]"    <temperature> (Weather_Chart)
Number Weather_Chart_Period        "Chart Period"
DateTime Weather_LastUpdate        "Last Update [%1$ta %1$tR]"    <clock>

/* NTP binding demo item */
DateTime        Date            "Date [%1$tA, %1$td.%1$tm.%1$tY]"    <calendar>    { ntp="Europe/Berlin:de_DE" }

/* Demo items */
Switch DemoSwitch                "Switch"
Dimmer DimmedLight                "Dimmer [%d %%]"        <slider>
Color  RGBLight                    "RGB Light"                <slider>
Rollershutter DemoShutter         "Roller Shutter"
Dimmer DemoBlinds                 "Blinds [%d %%]"        <rollershutter>
Number Scene_General            "Scene"                    <sofa>
Number Radio_Station            "Radio"                    <network>
Dimmer Volume                     "Volume [%.1f %%]"
Number Temperature_Setpoint        "Temperature [%.1f °C]" <temperature>

String UnknownDevices    "Unknown Devices in Range: [%s]" { bluetooth="?" }
Number NoOfPairedDevices "Paired Devices in Range: [%d]"  { bluetooth="!" }

Code:
action.homematic-1.5.0.jar
action.mail-1.5.0.jar
action.nma-1.5.0.jar
action.prowl-1.5.0.jar
action.pushover-1.5.0.jar
action.squeezebox-1.5.0.jar
action.twitter-1.5.0.jar
action.xbmc-1.5.0.jar
action.xmpp-1.5.0.jar
binding.asterisk-1.5.0.jar
binding.astro-1.5.0.jar
binding.bluetooth-1.5.0.jar
binding.comfoair-1.5.0.jar
binding.configadmin-1.5.0.jar
binding.cups-1.5.0.jar
binding.daikin-1.5.0.jar
binding.digitalstrom-1.5.0.jar
binding.dmx-1.5.0.jar
binding.dmx.artnet-1.5.0.jar
binding.dmx.lib485-1.5.0.jar
binding.dmx.ola-1.5.0.jar
binding.enocean-1.5.0.jar
binding.epsonprojector-1.5.0.jar
binding.exec-1.5.0.jar
binding.fht-1.5.0.jar
binding.freebox-1.5.0.jar
binding.freeswitch-1.5.0.jar
binding.fritzaha-1.5.0.jar
binding.fritzbox-1.5.0.jar
binding.fs20-1.5.0.jar
binding.gpio-1.5.0.jar
binding.hdanywhere-1.5.0.jar
binding.heatmiser-1.5.0.jar
binding.homematic-1.5.0.jar
binding.http-1.5.0.jar
binding.hue-1.5.0.jar
binding.iec6205621meter-1.5.0.jar
binding.ihc-1.5.0.jar
binding.insteonhub-1.5.0.jar
binding.insteonplm-1.5.0.jar
binding.intertechno-1.5.0.jar
binding.irtrans-1.5.0.jar
binding.jointspace-1.5.0.jar
binding.k8055-1.5.0.jar
binding.knx-1.5.0.jar
binding.koubachi-1.5.0.jar
binding.maxcube-1.5.0.jar
binding.milight-1.5.0.jar
binding.modbus-1.5.0.jar
binding.mpd-1.5.0.jar
binding.mqtt-1.5.0.jar
binding.mqttitude-1.5.0.jar
binding.netatmo-1.5.0.jar
binding.networkhealth-1.5.0.jar
binding.nibeheatpump-1.5.0.jar
binding.nikobus-1.5.0.jar
binding.novelanheatpump-1.5.0.jar
binding.ntp-1.5.0.jar
binding.oceanic-1.5.0.jar
binding.onewire-1.5.0.jar
binding.onkyo-1.5.0.jar
binding.openenergymonitor-1.5.0.jar
binding.opensprinkler-1.5.0.jar
binding.owserver-1.5.0.jar
binding.piface-1.5.0.jar
binding.pioneeravr-1.5.0.jar
binding.plcbus-1.5.0.jar
binding.plugwise-1.5.0.jar
binding.pulseaudio-1.5.0.jar
binding.rfxcom-1.5.0.jar
binding.rme-1.5.0.jar
binding.s300th-1.5.0.jar
binding.samsungtv-1.5.0.jar
binding.serial-1.5.0.jar
binding.snmp-1.5.0.jar
binding.sonos-1.5.0.jar
binding.squeezebox-1.5.0.jar
binding.swegonventilation-1.5.0.jar
binding.systeminfo-1.5.0.jar
binding.tcp-1.5.0.jar
binding.tinkerforge-1.5.0.jar
binding.tivo-1.5.0.jar
binding.urtsi-1.5.0.jar
binding.vdr-1.5.0.jar
binding.withings-1.5.0.jar
binding.wol-1.5.0.jar
binding.xbmc-1.5.0.jar
binding.zwave-1.5.0.jar
io.cv-1.5.0.jar
io.dropbox-1.5.0.jar
io.gpio-1.5.0.jar
io.multimedia.tts.freetts-1.5.0.jar
io.multimedia.tts.macintalk-1.5.0.jar
io.multimedia.tts.marytts-1.5.0.jar
io.squeezeserver-1.5.0.jar
io.transport.cul-1.5.0.jar
persistence.cosm-1.5.0.jar
persistence.db4o-1.5.0.jar
persistence.exec-1.5.0.jar
persistence.gcal-1.5.0.jar
persistence.influxdb-1.5.0.jar
persistence.logging-1.5.0.jar
persistence.mongodb-1.5.0.jar
persistence.mqtt-1.5.0.jar
persistence.mysql-1.5.0.jar
persistence.rrd4j-1.5.0.jar
persistence.sense-1.5.0.jar

Hey Pete

Hi All

I just downloaded v1.50 runtime, demo, designer etc. I'm tried on Win x64 and OS X (Mavericks)

Browser works, but designer doesn't work. I get this error when launching on Windows

Failed to load the JNI shared directory C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_05\bin\..\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll 

(The file does exist)

On OSX (Mavericks). I get the splash screen and nothing else

Did you get designer working?

Regards

mark

I've been editing files mostly.  Trying Z-Wave, XBMC, SqueezeBox and OPII goofing around.

I just copied over the designer and ran it.  It works here.  I haven't done anything with it though yet.

Trying to BBQ.  Moving endeavor...started to rain...attached is demo configuration via editor.

Attachments

• openhab-4.jpg
    openhab-4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 51
  • openhab-5.jpg
    openhab-5.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 47
got it working on OS X. Was a java thing. Java was claiming 1.6.x when it was 1.7 JRE. Installed JDK 1.7 and that fixed it

got my & sonos zone players hooked up and working (play/pause and current track)

Added z-wave stick, but no devices yet. 

Will resume tomorrow.

Anyone ever tried Openremote?

I've played w/Openremote a bit, although not extensively. Basically just made a pretty interface to send commands to eventghost on htpc via UDP & switched lights with X-10. Have plans to do more when time & funds allow - looks very promising. 

Shelving it today. 

Weather effects (overnight)  are dinging my day today.  Really hate when that happens.

hedg12 said:
I've played w/Openremote a bit, although not extensively. Basically just made a pretty interface to send commands to eventghost on htpc via UDP & switched lights with X-10. Have plans to do more when time & funds allow - looks very promising. 
Sounds a bit lame

Quickie synopsis to date and just relating to the creation of a "touch screen" and maybe cuz I have used it for a number of years; Homeseer Touch designer even with its nuances (bugs) is fastest methodology to create a touch screen in the Android and Wintel and Linux world.  I get carried away sometimes with it wanting identical screens in all three OS's; guess just relating to some uniformity.

I am too totally managing my touchscreens from the mothership and vice versa.  While testing wireless I am not dependent on wireless consoles in my home today; never have been.  Tablets are tablets here and used mostly as an interface to the internet rather than consoles to my automation; but that is me.

For whatever reason not addressing the esthetics of the screens over the function and response times.  (this is that low WAF thing about too many variables on one touch screen).  IE: touch response times not connected to the mothership server and running scripts autonomously is really fast.  Elve is doing well right now relating to response times connecting to my HAI OPII panel (well and running it on wintel).

I have multiple means of consoles (touchscreens) today and mostly look at how many weather maps, temperature variables et al I can fit on one screen. 

Meanwhile I would be very interested in what you find and what you decide to do relating to your home automation Mark.

I am in a bit of a bit of a "literal" cynical mood today; not relating to automation though.

Back