Research question - users with WC32 please read!

rossw

Do you have a WC32 board?
I'm looking for people who do, and who also have at least one of the following:
  * straight old 10BaseT hub
  * Linksys WRT54GL
  * Motorola WR850G

I've encountered unexpected behavior with the WC32 when connected to these three specific items. CAI have been unable to reproduce the condition and I'm trying to identify if it's the two specific WC32 boards I have, something perculiar to my network or something else.

If you have (or can easily get your hands on) the above, please chime in and I'll explain!

pittom said:
What kind of unexpected behavior

Ethernet either
 ( a ) not seeing the physical layer (no LNK detected)
or
 ( b ) LNK being detected, but no traffic passing. No dhcp, no ping, ARP not working etc.

I've two boards doing it, highly reproducible, trying to remove some variables.

10baset hub - works, but not without issues.  eth interface seems to reset every few seconds causing web interface to respond with lots of delays.

az1324 said:
10baset hub - works, but not without issues.  eth interface seems to reset every few seconds causing web interface to respond with lots of delays.
Interesting - I don't have a WC32 so this is just a guess. From the description sure sounds like auto negotiation is not working and WC does not like HDX. I assume if you replace the hub with a switch everything is fine.

/tom

Tschmidt said:
Interesting - I don't have a WC32 so this is just a guess. From the description sure sounds like auto negotiation is not working and WC does not like HDX. I assume if you replace the hub with a switch everything is fine.
And that's where it gets more screwy... I have a Linksys WRT54GL running a bunch of stuff out in the battery room. It operates as a wireless bridge and 5-port ethernet switch.
The ether ports are 10/100.
If I unplug the ethernet cable from one of my WC8 boards out there, which has been running happily for years, and plug it into a WC32 - the WC32 doesn't see the cable is even plugged in! Unplug the WC32 and plug the WC8 back in - and it fires up, does a DHCP request and away it goes.
Exactly the same thing with another Motorola WR850G.
Yet plug the WC32 into any of my other 10/100/1000 switches and it works fine.
However *NOTHING* else has ever had problems running on the WRT54GL or WR850G ports!
Hence my surprise/confusion!

Since we are shooting in the dark - just for fun have you tried using a crossover cable?  Be interesting to see of it has any effect.

rossw said:
If I unplug the ethernet cable from one of my WC8 boards out there, which has been running happily for years, and plug it into a WC32 - the WC32 doesn't see the cable is even plugged in!
Even if you reboot the router?

az1324 said:
Even if you reboot the router?

I'm trying to avoid that at the moment, I've got other critical systems sending continuous data stream over that link and REALLY don't want the 90 seconds odd downtime.

I had the same problem,I have a Linksys 3500 and I have a Western Digital n6000 as a switch. all my boards worked except for WC 32 would unplug the cables from WC8 into wc32 and it would not work, in the end it was the cable try different cables I have laying around and finally got one to work.

IIRC...  GigaBit Ethernet enlists the use of another pair (1,8?) of conductors (or was it two pairs?) that 10/100 doesn't use.

LarrylLix said:
IIRC...  GigaBit Ethernet enlists the use of another pair (1,8?) of conductors (or was it two pairs?) that 10/100 doesn't use.

But WC32 isn't GigE.

pittom said:
 would unplug the cables from WC8 into wc32 and it would not work, in the end it was the cable try different cables I have laying around and finally got one to work.

I'll try it, but sheesh... they're all prefab commercial (good quality) cables...
Did you find it needed to be a long cable? short? shielded? Or just "lucky"?

My WC32 can not be detected when plugged into a cisco SG102-24 gigabit switch. No blinking lights or anything. If I plug it into an older cradlepoint router then patch over to the cisco I can then access it.

SG102-24 has a power off the port feature. It requires computer or device always has link first, or it will power off the port.  Did you try to cycle the power after plug in WC32?  Cisco discontinued that switch because that power saving mode caused a lot of problem for them.

Back