Does ELK system comes with electronic locks?

I'm planning to use ELK system to my new place and I am wondering if it comes with electronic locks or if not can additional equipment be integrated with it?

The Elk doesn't come with any locks, but you can integrate it with z-wave locks using the z-wave interface that is available for the Elk.  It takes a bit of work to get it all working.  You might find this thread helpful.  Another option if you don't want to use z-wave is to use electric door strikes and keyfobs.

I commented in the thread linked above. I currently have 3 Zwave deadbolts working at my home, and recently installed one of the new Kwikset 914's at a clients home - also with an Elk system.

Be sure to read up on Zwave beaming...

To  bulletproof I'd recommend going with real access control locking hardware, electrified handsets, strikes, locks, etc. (NOT a maglock, egress issues to contend with) before going Z-wave, as I view it as more mission critical, but in the spirit of controlling a deadbolt, that may be your only real option.

patrickjackson said:
I'm planning to use ELK system to my new place and I am wondering if it comes with electronic locks or if not can additional equipment be integrated with it?
patrick:

Are you planning on installing the system yourself? I just spent a few months studying, designing and installing my first security system and I'd like to put my 2c in.

The heart of any security system and the component that makes it different than another security system is the control board. Elk  does market a kit that comes with basic components but understand that the menu here is ala carte. It really needs to be because everyone's needs are different and every system is different. Aside from the controller and keypad the security components are pretty generic and often inter-changeable.

Shop and read about the difference in the controllers from various manufacturers (Elk Hai DSC etc) and buy the one that meets your current and future needs. If you don't have the time and/or patience to do the studying and you have fairly deep pockets you can't go wrong with Elk or Hai/Leviton for security and automation combined.

You asked a fairly simple question and you seem to be in the same shoes that I was in a few months ago but I don't think that there is a simple answer and whether you are installing yourself or hiring the job out you need to choose  the control board first. I did do my own install and I felt that I needed a control board that would allow me to say YES to my wife every time she asked me "can it do this?" and "can it do that?" and the Elk is very expandable and fit the bill for me.

Miike.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions. Z waves interface...control boards...I'm gonna take a good look on it. If what I need comes out to be more complex than I expected, I think, I have to ask for help from a professional locksmith.

Thank again.

The locksmiths wouldn't need to understand Zwave....a lock is a lock is a lock. They wouldn't need to know anything about the functionality or communications or the system communicating with it. The only thing they would be responsible for is whether or not the lock functions once the host system is programmed and communicating.

If they were installing the communication and host system, sure, but otherwise, not within their scope.

Installing a strike or other piece of locking hardware that only requires voltage, same theory...they're not responsible for the wire or connection, but at most the pathway to something like an electrified handset.

DELInstallations said:
The locksmiths wouldn't need to understand Zwave....a lock is a lock is a lock. They wouldn't need to know anything about the functionality or communications or the system communicating with it. The only thing they would be responsible for is whether or not the lock functions once the host system is programmed and communicating.

If they were installing the communication and host system, sure, but otherwise, not within their scope.

Installing a strike or other piece of locking hardware that only requires voltage, same theory...they're not responsible for the wire or connection, but at most the pathway to something like an electrified handset.

I'd say it depends. There are locksmiths in my area (original business title) who are now entering into security and automation. So while they are more than locksmiths [now], their business sign says locksmiths. Nonetheless, my comment was based on the OPs comment below (bolded):

patrickjackson said:
Thank you guys for all your suggestions. Z waves interface...control boards...I'm gonna take a good look on it. If what I need comes out to be more complex than I expected, I think, I have to ask for help from a professional locksmith.

Thank again.

Which is why I said, not all locksmiths understand Zwave.

drvnbysound said:
I'd say it depends. There are locksmiths in my area (original business title) who are now entering into security and automation. So while they are more than locksmiths [now], their business sign says locksmiths. Nonetheless, my comment was based on the OPs comment below (bolded):

Which is why I said, not all locksmiths understand Zwave.

I agree with what you said. Locksmiths now go beyond installing and repairing locks. And it all depends on whether you can trust and know the locksmith you are getting and the services they offer. As for my case, my neighbors suggested this local locksmith, allservicemaster.com,  who they usually ask for help. They also do home automation securities.

Gonna talk to these guys and assess whether or not they can do the job well. Of course, I'm not gonna dive into something I'm not sure of.

You certainly want to be comfortable with your own security and I can't put a price on that or tell you what to do, but I'll be the first to say that installing a Zwave deadbolt and getting it interfaced with Elk is fairly easy. It may take a bit of reading here, and maybe a few questions, but it's definitely not rocket science. All of the information is certainly available.

patrickjackson said:
Gonna talk to these guys and assess whether or not they can do the job well. Of course, I'm not gonna dive into something I'm not sure of.
FYI, just make sure 'you' can get into the system before they leave.  Last thing you need is for someone to lock down your system and make you depend on them for future services/upgrades/etc... ;)

There are a number of educational resources for Elk (and HAI).  Read the Elk M1 install manual a few times.  Elk has some of their recorded webinars online.  Searching here on CT is rewarding too.

I'd hire an alarm security company for the Elk install, before a locksmith, any day.

Personally I had an alarm company do the pre-wire in a new home construction endeavor.  This was included in the construction package. 

Here is a link to find an Elk installer in your area.  Personally it sounds like you may want to hire an electrician too.  When you contact the Elk installer ask maybe if company is automation centric. (alarm, computer, electrician, locks guru company?) 

That would probably be best in your situation.

http://www.elkproducts.com/find_a_professional_installer.html

Back