M1 Gold shopping list / Vendor Recommendation

Mayhem702

Greetings, to another great online community. I've been lurking for about 6 months. 

I'm going to go with an M1 Gold. As a veteran of AVSforums, I know that I can read, design and change my mind a 1000 times. I'm pulling the trigger on the M1. 

What seller will offer the most pre sales support, I know the diy world has support issues, but I thought I remember someone mentioning somewhere that one of the vendors would help you out.

My constraints are:

Must use the existing hard wired intrusion detection wiring.
Must use the existing hardwired smoke detector wiring.
Must be capable of wireless integration of new devices.
Must be capable of Zwave control of lighting and locks.
Must use existing wiring to control panels.
Must be capable of key fob or key card access.
Must be capable of arm/disarm/control over android devices
Must be capable of standalone monitoring w/ outgoing messages via broadband or cellular 

Other requirements:
Expandable or integratable into advanced home control / energy monitoring
Capable of scenes with access and control
Voice messages from the system

Is the above along with pictured of my existing system enough to get a seller started on a parts list? (side note, can I post pictures here or only link them?)

I have 24 years in industrial automation. I have configured DCS, PLC, OIT & HMI applications. Wired, designed and commissioned many industrial systems. Abandoned the X10 system I started in 2000, due to lack of reliability.

Thanks

Jason

welcome to CT

automatedoutlet.com for vendor

check wiring for existing eol's and general condition and EOL compatibility (see Security How-To for additional help on this).

M1 will not be able to handle all of your requests, but can easily integrate into other (PC run) systems such as HomeSeer, CQC, Elve, etc...

use mykeypad pro for android interface to elk via its ethernet optional board

others will chime in here as well with their experiences...

Man, I didn't even know that was out! :blush:

If it integrated with Tasker I would buy it in a heartbeat!

At that price though, I'll pass as I already paid for the myKeypad Pro software.

BraveSirRobbin, thanks a ton for your response. I'm also in Las Vegas, maybe a beverage is in order at some point. Your older posts on the Elk are some of the ones that influenced my decision. I'd be happy to give you a tour of an industrial automation site if you're interested. 

Drvnbysound, thanks for the update on the android app.

Will automatedoutlet.com help me with a parts list? Can I run it by you guys here after they get me started? 

Going to try and get some images posted regarding the existing system.

Thanks
Jason

There are a ton of posts here where beginners listed all of the parts they are buying, with comments from our membership.

I would do the same after reading some of those.

As stated before, you will not accomplish all of your goals (IMO) with just one system.

I'm pretty sure the Elk will support some Russound systems for audio dist.  Doubt you will go far with advanced energy monitoring needs though.

I don't have any experience with KeyFobs or ZWave integration, though others here have done so.

Not sure if you can use your existing smokes, a lot would depend on what type they were.

Your sensors should be useable though as it looks like the EOL's are in your panel (I would just eliminate them all-together with the Elk).

I'm familiar with some industrial automation relating to GE Modicon PLC's (mainly Quantum and Momentum), programmed PLC's a while ago using Concept (which is replaced now with Unity) ... involved a bit with SFC's FBD's etc...).  Also used iFix from GE (formerly Intellution) as the SCADA/HMI.

What part of Las Vegas do you live at?

He has a proprietary Vista 15P. If he gets the Honeywell receiver he can reuse anything that is RF on the present system. House looks like (by can) it was a DSC panel first, then the Vista as a takeover.

While it appears you have home runs, I wouldn't worry too much about EOLR's, all are in your panel now.

I can also vouch for AutomatedOutlet... excellent customer service. Give them a call - they will definitely help you out.

While the Elk may or may not directly do everything you require, it is one of the most supported panels out there and will integrate well with other systems. I use a Vera2 for my ZWave control and it has been a very positive experience doing so. It also gives me access to one of the best android apps out there (IMHO) - AutHomation which is what also controls my Elk. So my ZWave control and android app cost me a total of $100 (refurb sale).

As for keyfobs, I decided I didn't want to use wireless devices as is your requirement of using the existing wiring in the house. So, I picked up a simple SECO-LARM (4) relay box and (4) 4-button keyfobs to go with it for a total of ~$100. It saved me the cost of an expensive wireless controller and serial interface for the Elk. Combine the SECO-LARM with the Vera and I have full automation of arming/disarming and ZWave scene control (thermostat/lights/receptacles) with a single button on the keyfob or android app.

Just food for thought...

Awesome information. I'll dig a little further. I contacted AutomatedOutlet via email, getting excited.

I am open to other than traditional keypad options. I currently have 3 keypads. I don't think any of the current system is wireless. I want to augment all the hardwired stuff with some wireless, as I go. What are the range limitations with the wireless stuff? 

If there's enough wire slack should I consolidate into one cabinet? Any reason not to? 

Video321, do you use Vera for zwave due to some limitation in the M1 or because it integrates better? I can stage in a vera or some other solution, but right now I need the M1 to handle some basic zwave. Lock the doors on arm, turn on light while in active alarm, etc. As in many houses, the wife has both budgetary and creative input ... so I need to get by with Elk alone for a little while, then I can move on and up. 

BraveSirRobbin, I'm up in the shadow of Lone Mountain. I've been in the valley since 1999. I've managed an automation engineering office here in town since then. We got bought by Honeywell at one point, then went back to a company out of MN and opened a local office for them. You still in the automation field? We're almost always hiring, it can be tough getting industrial automation talent to move to Las Vegas. 

Our office is in Henderson in the crotch of the 215/515. Our construction trailer is over by Nelis & Desert Inn.

Jason

Mayhem702 said:
I am open to other than traditional keypad options. I currently have 3 keypads. I don't think any of the current system is wireless. I want to augment all the hardwired stuff with some wireless, as I go. What are the range limitations with the wireless stuff? 

Video321, do you use Vera for zwave due to some limitation in the M1 or because it integrates better? I can stage in a vera or some other solution, but right now I need the M1 to handle some basic zwave. Lock the doors on arm, turn on light while in active alarm, etc. As in many houses, the wife has both budgetary and creative input ... so I need to get by with Elk alone for a little while, then I can move on and up. 

Jason

If you are interested in adding wireless then definitely don't go my route.

As for the Vera, I had no intentions of ever getting one until I tripped over a refurb sale and jumped on it. I decided at the time that for $100 I can start playing around with ZWave and if I didn't like the Vera I'd just sell it off. Today I have a thermostat, 30 or so light switches and around 10 receptacles. I'm running the unit with nothing but ZWave control and the Elk plugin so the unit is running slim - I don't play around with the numerous other plugins available. What it does do, it does well. I have triggering scenes on schedules and events. What you mention is easily done... I hit 1 button on my keyfob and the Elk & Vera combine to verify all the doors and windows are shut, the lights are turned off, TVs are turned off then it closes the garage door and arms the house. A strobe light above the garage verifies all is well. When I come home I hit another button and the thermostat is set to "comfort temps" and a pathway is lit if it's night as the alarm is disarmed and the garage door is opening. In the case of an alarm, all lights (inside and out) turn on. So, yes, it integrates with the Elk. The plugin I'm using is one way, but I do believe there is another version that has 2-way capability. In any case, the version I have can be made to work as 2-way simply by sending the Elk ASCII strings via the Vera.

Back