IP66 Weather resistant
Night vision capable with 90' IR range
2-5 MP
ONVIF-S compliant
2.8 - 12 MM varifocal lens preferred, 4MM fixed if necessary
Price range, $400 or less

I found this camera:

http://www.laviewusa.com/lv-cbp2338-s/

but I don't know anything about this company, might just be two guys in a basement. Went on the newegg site (their apparent reseller), and the camera is listed as out of stock, may not be restocked. Probably not a good sign.

I would appreciate any recommendations anyone might have.

I know someone with the camera I posted and it's got solid build quality and produces a great picture. I will be moving toward these myself once I sell my current analog system :)

I've since found that they are manufactured by a Chineese company, Hikvision. You can get the Hikvision models direct via eBay for $40-50 cheaper, but it takes a solid 14 days for delivery, and I assume warranty may be harder to handle.

drvnbysound said:
I know someone with the camera I posted and it's got solid build quality and produces a great picture. I will be moving toward these myself once I sell my current analog system :)

I've since found that they are manufactured by a Chineese company, Hikvision. You can get the Hikvision models direct via eBay for $40-50, but it takes a solid 14 days for delivery, and I assume warranty may be harder to handle.

i don't think that's the right model you're looking at on ebay (they seem be around $130 or so). the cheapest prices i've found (at least for the bullet, ~$90) are over on aliexpress. model # DS-2CD2032-I

the same caveats you mentioned apply plus buying from aliexpress could be it's own can of worms.

That's correct.

The price on Newegg is around $180 (for the TrendNet version). I stated that you can save about $40-$50 via eBay if you go with the Hikvision model.

I've been watching these cameras for about 3 months now - I've seen them on eBay for as low as $119 shipped direct.

I hadn't looked elsewhere, so that's the first time I've heard of aliexpress - I'll have to check those out as well. Personally, I want the 2.8mm domes.

Hikvision is considered "value line" so knockoffs will only be a step down from there.  Brickcom is more on the higher end of things, as is Messoa; Grandstream makes good stuff too which I find to be about in the middle.  Ubiquiti Unifi Video (replacement for AirCam) seems to be looking decent as well.

I'm leaning towards brickcom for a big install next month because of the versatility with in the brand and the higher build quality.

Having used both Grandstream and Trendnet/Hikvision, I can say that I'm definitely more impressed (image quality and GUI) with the Trendnet - and it's cheaper. I felt that build quality was about the same between the two.

Additionally, Grandstream cameras are only offered in black, which doesn't aesthetically suit most of my needs (i.e. at least somewhat blending in) and [more importantly] they don't have options for different focal lengths. I'll have to add a review of the Trendnet camera with some screen shots soon.

Thanks for everyone's input, I've ordered one of the TrendNet cameras (TV-IP310) for a test. Does anyone know if that camera is available with a 2.8MM lens?

The Trendnet TV-IP311PI dome Focal length is 4 mm, F1.2.  It is an IP66 camera.

The Trendnet TV-IP310PI bullet camera Focal length is 4 mm, F1.2.

Here using Grandstream and the newest bullet camera has a varifocal lens on it.

The GXV3674 series has a Vari-focal HD lens (2.8mm-12mm) with DC-IRIS and the capability
to zoom or focus without opening the case. 

My personal outside camera preference for a camera lens is 2.8mm to 3.6mm.

Only thing is that it is black versus white.

drvnbysound said:
 I stated that you can save about $40-$50 via eBay if you go with the Hikvision model.

i think your brain and your hands had a disagreement because they typed something else ;)

damage said:
i think your brain and your hands had a disagreement because they typed something else ;)

TrendNet via Newegg = $180
Hikvision via eBay = $130
Savings = $50

They are the same camera...

EDIT: You're right... I forgot 'cheaper'... 

@drvnbysound,

Curious about your choice / quality comments on the Hikvision IP HD cams?

Here sort of settled on the Grandstream OS mostly because of the included SIP stuff and related DIY stuff that I have been doing with the cams.

I like the idea of an overhead over the front door dome with a wide angle view.  Noticed too that the Grandstream IP HD or OS boards are a bit more expensive.

Here looking to replace a modded Ubiquti Aircam (2.8mm lens) utilized mostly today as a weathercam with the new Grandstream vari focal lens IP HD camera.  The Grandstream version (with OS) is a bit higher than the generic version (with OS).

The 1.2 MP with a variable lens comes out to around $162 with POE and the 3.0 MP with a variable lens comes out to around $192 with POE.  Here is where I see the Grandstream generic being a bit higher. 

The dome version comes with a 3.6mm lens is bit less expensive than the bullet cam.

For comparison, I've only used the Grandstream GXV3610_HD, Trendnet TV-IP310PI, and Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I. I don't have any of these at my home at this time, but as stated above, I will work on getting screen shots and providing a review.

Having said that, the Trendnet and Hikvision both seem to have a sharper image, although that's also comparing 720p from the Grandstream to 1080p from the others. I'll see if I can get screen shots of all at 720p for comparison.

The user interface(s) from the Trendnet/Hikvision, although not used often, seemed to utilize an easier to understand/follow interface. The Grandstream interface is simple and easy to use, but I'd be lying if I said getting DST figured out was simple. Using a "self defined time zone" with a "EST+5EDT+4,M3.2.0,M11.1.0" syntax wasn't what I'd call user friendly. Why they couldn't add an "Observe DST" radio button like everyone else is beyond me.

Quite simply, for roughly the same price (Trendnet) or cheaper (Hikvision) I feel like I'm getting more bang for the buck. Add that I can get different focal lengths from Hikvision and I'm sold.

Lastly, the majority of homes that I've worked on (probably 95%) have white soffit and the black Grandstream cameras just aren't fitting for me.

Back