elk rules and timing

mikefamig

I have been experimenting with Elk rules to close garage overhead doors when the area becomes armed and have had some success and  some confusion. The doors are controlled by a three button handheld wireless control that I wired to three separate outputs on the Elk OVR board. 
The doors open and close faithfully when I activate them using a task from my Ipad so the wireless is working well. 

I have gotten all three doors to close when I arm the area but only after some trial and error. It appears to me that the Elk control can not handle commands to turn on outputs in rapid succession. I found that after turning on an output to close door 1 I need to make the system idle for 15 - 20 seconds before sending the command to turn on the next output to close door 2.

Is this true or am I reading it wrong? Below are the rules that are working for me. notice that I have 15 seconds between turning on the outputs via phantom output timers. When I shorten the timing to only ten seconds or less the doors do not all close all the time.

I don't see why I couldn't just turn all three outputs on at the same time. So is it the timing? Is it something else going on? Any thoughts?

Mike.

Toggle Garage Door 1
7       WHENEVER Garage Dr 1 (Task 1) IS ACTIVATED
THEN TURN Output 017 (Out 17) ON FOR 2 SECS

Toggle Garage Door 2
8       WHENEVER Garage Dr 2 (Task 2) IS ACTIVATED
THEN TURN Output 018 (Out 18) ON FOR 2 SECS

Toggle Garage Door 3
9       WHENEVER Garage Dr 3 (Task 3) IS ACTIVATED
THEN TURN Output 019 (Out 19) ON FOR 2 SECS

Close overhead doors when armed
13 WHENEVER Garage (Area 2) IS ARMED AWAY 
THEN TURN Output 204 ON FOR 15 SECS 
THEN TURN Output 205 ON FOR 30 
THEN TURN Output 206 ON FOR 45 SECS

14 WHENEVER Output 204 STATE IS TURNED OFF 
AND Garage (Area 2) IS ARMED AWAY 
AND Garage Door 1 (Zn 102) IS NOT SECURE 
THEN ACTIVATE Garage Dr 1 (Task 1)

15      WHENEVER Output 205 STATE IS TURNED OFF
AND Garage Door 2 (Zn 103) IS NOT SECURE 
THEN ACTIVATE Garage Dr 2 (Task 2)

16 WHENEVER Output 206 STATE IS TURNED OFF 
AND Garage Door 3 (Zn 104) IS NOT SECURE 
THEN ACTIVATE Garage Dr 3 (Task 3)

drvnbysound said:
Can the wireless controller can be used stand-alone in rapid succession without issue?

Good thought, I'll give it a try when I get down there this afternoon.

Is anyone automatinng the same door openers as me? I am using Liftmaster 3800p openers with Liftmaster 373P handheld remote controls.

Mike.

Also let me know if you have an easier way to program this. I'm new at Elk rule writing and  you will not insult me.

Mike.

drvnbysound said:
Can the wireless controller can be used stand-alone in rapid succession without issue?

I just got back from some testing and I found the problem and the fault is not with the Elk control.

I shortened the timings and armed the garage while standing next to the box that contains the remote control and the OVR expansion relay board. This way I can hear the relays click and watch the remote control for flashing lights. 

The Elk closed door 1 fine with a click of the relay and a flash of the light.  Then a few seconds  later I heard the relay click for door two and the lights flash on the remote but the door did not move. It seems that if the first door motor is still running when you attempt to close a second door it does not work. I lengthened the timing so that door 1 is completely down and silent before signalling door two to close and it worked for a couple of trials.

I'm starting to appreciate the power of the Elk rules language to overcome obstacles like this.

Mike.

DELInstallations said:
What is the intermediate hardware between the XOVR and the OHD operator?
It si a model 373P liftmaster remote control or at least is visibly the same as the 373P. It came with the doors and I did not do the installation..

DELInstallations said:
So you're not hardwired to any pair that goes to the openers and going to a wireless remote control?

So you are suggesting that I should  have hard-wired the elk directly to the three separate Liftmaster smart controls? 

Without knowing the specifics about the smart control portion (IE: if there's a resistor or it sees a short differently) usually straight to the opener (or pushbuttons) is the more preferred way to control.

DELInstallations said:
Without knowing the specifics about the smart control portion (IE: if there's a resistor or it sees a short differently) usually straight to the opener (or pushbuttons) is the more preferred way to control.
I'll take hard wired over wireless every time but in this case it is much easier to rewire the one wireless control than to rewire all three wall mounted controls and run cable to each of them. The wall switches are smart switches and I would need to take each one apart and solder leads to the pcb as I did the wireless remote. Going the wireless route seemed a good compromise.

It's working now so it's goinng to stay that way as long as it continues to work.

Mike.

Back