M1XIN problem

gooch707

I am having trouble with the M1XIN Expansion board.  I got it enrolled into the system, but it will not properly recognize the sensors I've tried to add to it.  Its connected to the M1DBH and is properly terminated using the plug.  I've rewired all the connections to rule out wiring problems, and I've tried the sensors on the main board, and they all work.  It just lists each sensor as violated, with no voltage or anything.  I've tried a glass sensor and a water sensor.  Any ideas or do I just have a bad board?

I would first check for 12vdc at the board to be sure that it is powered. Also check to see that the M1 mode jumper wire is installed.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I would first check for 12vdc at the board to be sure that it is powered. Also check to see that the M1 mode jumper wire is installed.

Mike.

I don't recall there being a "M1 mode jumper wire" being needed with the XIN.

I know there is one with the P212S, as it can be used in a stand-alone application.

drvnbysound said:
I don't recall there being a "M1 mode jumper wire" being needed with the XIN.

I know there is one with the P212S, as it can be used in a stand-alone application.
OOPS yes I confused the two....thanks. I'm going to have to learn to not trust my memory and rtfm more often.

Mike.

I will give that a try.  When you enroll an M1XIN, does it automatically add the hardwired zones in ElkRP?  Mine did not and was wondering if that was normal?

gooch707 said:
I will give that a try.  When you enroll an M1XIN, does it automatically add the hardwired zones in ElkRP?  Mine did not and was wondering if that was normal?

Ignore my previous post, if the xin is enrolled then it's obviously getting power. 

You need to program each zone to a "definition" and "type" and  some other specifics like whether the switch is normally open or normally closed and if it uses an EOL resistor. If you tell me what type of sensor each zone has I will try to help you set it up properly.

I use ElkRP software to program the system. It's free to download from elk after you register with them online.They also have video tutorials that you can view. I learned enough to install and get my system running by with help here what I've read elsewhere online.

[SIZE=14.399999618530273px]Mike.[/SIZE]

gooch707 said:

No it doesn't.

As Mike eluded to above, it's easiest to program via the ElkRP software.

Once enrolled, you right-click on the heading for Zones, and then select the option to add "New Hardwired Zones". A pop-up will ask you what grouping of zones you want to add; this would be based on the address you have your XIN set to. Select OK, and they will be displayed in the RP software.

OK guys, perhaps I have a bad board.  I've got the M1XIN enrolled, and then added it to the software.  Physically, the board flashes OK.  I have added the zones, and then defined the sensors (Glass Break and Water Sensor).  They are setup the same way as similar sensors on zones 1-16 which are working perfectly.  But I just cannot get them to work, they just say violated, regardless of what I try.  They also show no voltage.

make sure you don't have an address conflict with anything else on the bus

what are the zone types?  Try definition one, then type one normally closed.

Remove any wiring from that zone and then install a jumper wire (short) across the zone's two terminals and see what happens

gooch707 said:
OK guys, perhaps I have a bad board.  I've got the M1XIN enrolled, and then added it to the software.  Physically, the board flashes OK.  I have added the zones, and then defined the sensors (Glass Break and Water Sensor).  They are setup the same way as similar sensors on zones 1-16 which are working perfectly.  But I just cannot get them to work, they just say violated, regardless of what I try.  They also show no voltage.

How are you testing these sensors?

Tested the water sensor with some water.....I guess I didn't really test the Glass Sensor, just seemed to be properly working on zones 1-16, but always violated on the M1XIN.

Are your glass breaks normally open or closed?

How were they programmed when connected to the M1? Are they programmed the same on the XIN?

I agree with BSR above... pretty easy to test the XIN with a short wire across the terminals of a zone to simulate an attached device.

Tried adding a secondary power source to the XIN.  Also shorted the wires, and the zone remains at violated, regardless of NO or NC.  Have tried different definitions as well.  I have wireless hooked up (also through the M1DBH) and it works fine.  I have placed the XIN at address 3, 4, 11, etc. with no success.  I even removed the wireless and tried different addresses, still nothing.

Based on the above, I'd contact your source for the XIN and see about getting a replacement.

EDIT: When you were moving the XIN around, were you certain that you had the databus terminated correctly?

Have you measured the zones with a DMM and not via software? A ground fault is notorious for causing issues like this. You should be able to meter the voltage of the 3 states of a zone easily using a DMM at the XIN.

Back