FUSE TRBL NOW

whumphrey

Had a thunder storm last night.   Lightning tripped the GFCI that my OmniPro2 is plugged into.     Also set off one of my glass break sensors and tripped electronic fuse on OmniPro2.  Glass break is latching type to remained in alarm state until I power cycled the OmniPro2.  

Problem is I cannot get rid of the FUSE TRBL NOW message on my console.   Owners manual says it will go away automatically when fault condition is cleared.  So how do I figure out the fault condition?  Everything seems to be operating normally except for the FUSE TRBL NOW message.

Thanks,
Warren

Unplug the battery and AC transformer, wait a few minutes, reconnect the battery and reboot the system cold and the fuse should reset.
You'll have to reset the date and time.

Problem is I cannot get rid of the FUSE TRBL NOW message on my console.   Owners manual says it will go away automatically when fault condition is cleared.  So how do I figure out the fault condition?

Might be unrelated.  Hitting the clear button should have fixed it.

I had a similiar issue years ago with a device drawing too much from the AUX output.  Thinking it was the siren and I went to a piezo one and that fixed it.

Update....
I was finally able to clear the output fault by disconnecting every single wire connected to an output or power terminal and then resetting both EEPROM and RAM. Only the consoles and inputs are connected.
Then, if I attempt to load my program (setup box checked only). The output fault light trips at approx block 4300 of the download and I get a FUSE TRBL NOW message.

I did create a brand new config with nothing defined and was able to load it correctly.

Did notice that immediately after the fault light trip, battery status is 0. Maybe this is normal?

Could problem be with my 24vac transformer?

I suppose I'll just start adding back config and see what finally causes the fault. Maybe a call to tech support is next step.

Thanks all for your tips and suggestions!

Did notice that immediately after the fault light trip, battery status is 0. Maybe this is normal?
 It comes back after a bit unless your battery is dead

Could problem be with my 24vac transformer?
Could be.  I updated my HAI transformer with an Elk transformer when I had the same message.

How many consoles do you have?  Here I went to a sub panel / battery for my consoles. 

Looked at some of my old posts and I had same issue in 2006 with my legacy Omnipro board.  Suggestions at the time were to:

1 - replace transformer - which I did
2 - replace battery - which I did not

#1 &  #2 above did not fix my issue.  It was a granular one by one disconnect of my stuff that fixed it.  As mentioned above it was the siren drawing too much power.  That was my last guess.

I am guessing you can start by replacing the transformer then try the disconnect of one piece of hardware at a time?

I would still open a ticket with HAI Tech anyways.

Here is an OmniPro reset thread:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/24032-omnipro-ii-random-resets/

Well...did a little more troubleshooting.    Turns out I have a bad OUTPUT 8....which happens to be the only one the thermostats will work with.   As long as my configuration is not using output 8 I can clear the output fault.

Curous what thermostat you are using?

Maybe something is up with your Omnistat?

Problem is I cannot get rid of the FUSE TRBL NOW message on my console

You mentioned the problem occurred after a storm.

Typically the OPII board is very resilient such that the issue could be with the thermostat.

You can call Leviton / HAI for support.  They will go through some diagnostics (pressing buttons) on your thermostat to check it out.

Thanks for the replies!  Problem is solved but I'll post some details in case it can help someone else.  Thermostat is HAI RC2000.   I did some troubleshooting and figured out that it was output 8 on the OPII causing my problems.   Anytime I added a thermostat to my PCAccess config the board would go in to a fault that could not be cleared.   Remove the thermostat from the config, then it could be cleared.
Sent the board back to HAI for repair.  Got the board back and wired it up.   Communications worked with one of my thermostats (RC1000 upstairs)  but not the other (RC2000 downstairs).  Sent the RC2000 to HAI for repair and they found a bad comm chip or something like that.

I figure that whatever happened, came in via the HVAC unit in the basement, through the control cable to the thermostat, then took out the OPII output via comm cable.    I have surge protection everywhere but not sure how to prevent something like this.  Funny thought that the thermostat worked fine...just comms with OPII that did not work.

BTW.  Hat's off to HAI for repairing both my OPII and RC2000 thermostat under warranty....both were less than 1 year old.   Tech support was very helpful and Charlie in the returns department was responsive and quick to help me.

Another interesting finding.....I had been having problem with the Ethernet port dropping packets.   My return documentation from HAI also mentioned they repaired something with the Ethernet port.   It now works flawlessly and is no longer dropping packets.   Not sure what they did but I'll take it!

Thank you for letting us know here what happened.  Charlie is a great guy.  He has been there for many years now.

I'm curious what they did with the Ethernet port?

Lightning works to the shortest path to ground.  All you can do is what you have have done.  Here my HAI OPII panel is connected to the fuse panel ground which goes outside and another ground which goes over to the copper city water ingress. 

Back