Help with DL900 connection

I am trying to make some programming changes to my Caddx panel - and apparently I have not done this in a very long time - so long that I didn't have DL900 installed.  I download and installed 3.04 (I see mentions of a 4.01 online but I don't see the download link anywhere) and tried to connect.  I am running Windows XP and I cannot get it to direct connect.  I know the COM port is correct because I am using this port for my plugin to homeseer.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Thanks.

Ah, the nightmare of that DL-900 software (BSR shakes in his chair remembering those days trying to initially connect to his Caddx NX8-e with this POS software by GE :nutz: )!

I dug up these old notes that I had.  You have to use the keypad to change these settings.  Also, these notes are for version 2.06 so not sure if they would work with your system.

Location 207, Serial Port Enabled (Home Automation Enabled)

Location 208, Serial Port Baud Rate (defaults to 9600, but needs to match your software setting)

Location 209, Home Automation Protocol, Binary

Location 210, Transition Based Broadcasts, All segments off

... Command/Request enables, Options listed below must be on.  All other options are optional...

Location 211
  • Segment 1, options 2, 5, 6, & 7 ON
  • Segment 2, option 1 ON
  • Segment 3, Options 1 & 2 ON
  • Segment 4, Options 6, 7, & 8 ON

When you run the DL-900 software go to Program>>Setup>>Direct Connect (using 586)

Make sure you hit the * key or whatever it is that 'saves' the settings (I remember messing this up, better check those segments to make sure they took).

I also sort of remember that ASCII will work with Location 209, but just not sure (or that you had to change to ASCII to get the HomeSeer software to work).

Make sure NOTHING else is using the serial port (I.E. no other software is running).  I sort of remember even having to reboot after disabling HomeSeer.

If this does indeed work, you must sing BSR's praises in this thread :pray:  (just kidding, but if you do have problems, please let us know and maybe something in my memory will toggle).

Good luck!

Thanks!  

I don't think anything else is using the COM port - if it was then homeseer would yell at me when it starts up?  But I will start killing background apps just in case.

I am assuming that the panel is configured correctly as the homeseer plugin (I use JvCaddx) is working.  However, can you remind me how to check these locations through the keypad so I can double confirm them?  Thanks.

Hmmm, if nothing else changed in the panel, I would first double check your DL-900 "Advanced Serial Port Settings" and ensure that it matches the panel's settings (i.e. ASCII vs Binary, Serial Port Enables has a "1" (hmm, not sure if this is an 'enable' toggle or if it should match the actual com port), Baud Rate Matches the panel, Zone Snapshot and Partition Status are checked.

To get into the panel hit the *8, then enter the programmers code (default is 9713), then 0# to get into the programming itself.  Be careful as that is not a user friendly system! ;)).

I am now remembering that the ASCII setting was a big deal.  Man, wish I could remember more but this was like eight or more years ago.

Also, didn't that JVCaddx plugin thread on the HS boards have some guidelines on how to do this (i.e. panel settings, etc...)?

Thanks, got it.  I had to delete the user account and recreate it in order for it to connect.  That was weird?  As you say, not user friendly!

P.S.  You wouldn't know anything about turning on the siren would you?  This is why I suddenly went into the programming - I have just installed a siren and it doesn't sound in alarm conditions so I am trying to figure this out now!

simonmason said:
P.S.  You wouldn't know anything about turning on the siren would you?  This is why I suddenly went into the programming - I have just installed a siren and it doesn't sound in alarm conditions so I am trying to figure this out now!
Check your Zone Types in the DL-900 and make sure 'yelping siren' and 'chime' are checked.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Check your Zone Types in the DL-900 and make sure 'yelping siren' and 'chime' are checked.
If that didn't work, let me know.  I also still have the manual on that panel I believe.

I actually had yelping siren active but not chime. I turned on chime although I am not sure this was the issue as I had the polarity wrong on the siren. After fixing the siren it now works. The chime option doesn't appear to do anything or is it just that you need to turn this and the siren option on for it to work?

Back