ELK + Obi + NextAlarm

Monk

I am considering getting rid of my POTS land line in favor of VOIP. I have an Obi that seems to put out a good dial tone - does anyone successfully use an Obi / VOIP line with their ELK for calls to NextAlarm?

Don't do it. You're asking for trouble over the long haul.

I'd just go cellular and be done with it, whatever you do with your home phones won't affect it anymore

No one? How about anyone personally using any VOIP for alarm monitoring? Is it just not done?

Here I utilize copper (still my preference) and NextAlarm.   Been using NextAlarm now for many years.  (Did do a test with another company which turned into a debacle which I wrote about)

I set house in Florida with Verizon FIOS and Nextalarm and its been fine.  The phone line is noisier there than it is here with copper.   I had Verizon copper before FIOS and liked it better.  I didn't have a choice to keep the copper.

I also set up the neighbor there (FL) with Comcast VOIP and Nextalarm. 

No problems at all up until Verizon FIOS (about a week ago) installed their FIOS stuff and disconnected all of the alarm telco wires.

My dentist office (well I help her with her computer stuff) is using Comcast VOIP for her primary alarm connection and cellular for back up.  Its been fine for the last few years except for when CC VOIP doesn't work.

Personally in order of preference would do copper, dedicated cellular and VOIP last (even though it works).

I'm all for multiple methods.
Got my Next Alarm issue figured out. Had to disable auto-provisioning on the Obi to keep one DTMF setting I had to change from being overwritten every five minutes and it works very well.

Back