simple solution measuring mV

Efried

Hello,

are there simple single channel solutions delivering a  1 mV resolution?
As I understand the WC32 still offers 10 bit which is 10mV (10 V/1024) ?
A solution without welding or I2C is preferred.
May be I have to come back to rossw's board?

thanks

We are working with Ross on an IO board for WC32, that will have amps on all 8 analog channels with adjustable gains.
It maybe a month or two from production, pending Ross' approval.

Tschmidt said:
Depends on exactly what you need, adding a 10x gain stage to condition the input is one option.

/tom
Ok forgot to mention the 50 Hz AC signal from a passive clamp. May be hardware based integration would be best if WC does not support RMS.

Efried said:
Hello,

are there simple single channel solutions delivering a  1 mV resolution?
As I understand the WC32 still offers 10 bit which is 10mV (10 V/1024) ?
A solution without welding or I2C is preferred.
May be I have to come back to rossw's board?

WC32 is 0-5V in, not 0-10V, so at 5V it's (approximately) 5mV.
That said, with my WebAmp board, I'm using 0-40mV full scale on WC8 boards, which is about 0.04mV/bit

I also have a heap of stand-alone 4-channel amplifier boards if that's any help?
4ChAmp-top.jpg

Gain can be set from unity to about 50dB (100,000 times).
Jumpers to set inverting or non-inverting mode.
Space to put input conditioning (filtering, clamps, attenuation) if required.
Runs off DC 12-15V at a few milliamps.

Hi, by "clamp" you mean a RMS feature integrating AC voltage is possible?
If yes that would be a buy.

In WebControl, it is measuring DC voltage, not AC, if you want to measure AC, you will need to rectify the amplified signal.
Because diode has minimum barrel voltage, you will need to shift the amp bias slightly, so that 0V will be at least 0.7V to overcome the diode barrel voltage.  Put diode behind amp between amp board and WC8 analog input.

CAI_Support said:
In WebControl, it is measuring DC voltage, not AC, if you want to measure AC, you will need to rectify the amplified signal.
Because diode has minimum barrel voltage, you will need to shift the amp bias slightly, so that 0V will be at least 0.7V to overcome the diode barrel voltage.  Put diode behind amp between amp board and WC8 analog input.

Far better to use an op-amp based "precision" rectifier, otherwise you end up with a significant (and variable) offset of around 0.7V.

Efried said:
Hi, by "clamp" you mean a RMS feature integrating AC voltage is possible?
If yes that would be a buy.

By clamp, I mean a zener, or back-to-back diodes and a series resistor to clamp the input.
Converting AC to RMS is a non-trivial process.

rossw said:
WC32 is 0-5V in, not 0-10V, so at 5V it's (approximately) 5mV.
That said, with my WebAmp board, I'm using 0-40mV full scale on WC8 boards, which is about 0.04mV/bit

I also have a heap of stand-alone 4-channel amplifier boards if that's any help?
4ChAmp-top.jpg

Gain can be set from unity to about 50dB (100,000 times).
Jumpers to set inverting or non-inverting mode.
Space to put input conditioning (filtering, clamps, attenuation) if required.
Runs off DC 12-15V at a few milliamps.

Hi rossw,

is your amplifier board usable for rectifying 50 Hz AC signal up to 1V ?
here is some discussion about the possible implementations: http://sound.westhost.com/appnotes/an001.htm
I found this RMS to DC OP AMP. May be you can use it: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1966fb.pdf

thanks
Gerfried

Efried said:
Hi rossw,

is your amplifier board usable for rectifying 50 Hz AC signal up to 1V ?

It was not designed for that purpose and would not do it without major surgery.
(The WebAmp board does have 1 spare opamp available, and a small prototyping area which would probably provide for a single channel half-wave opamp rectifier and a capacitve smoothed output. The 4-channel amp board was designed for general DC shunts and sensors, and has no prototyping area)

Efried said:
here is some discussion about the possible implementations: http://sound.westhost.com/appnotes/an001.htm
I found this RMS to DC OP AMP. May be you can use it: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1966fb.pdf

The second chip is an interesting find. I'm happy to build some boards if there's enough demand! How many do you need?

rossw said:

It was not designed for that purpose and would not do it without major surgery.
(The WebAmp board does have 1 spare opamp available, and a small prototyping area which would probably provide for a single channel half-wave opamp rectifier and a capacitve smoothed output. The 4-channel amp board was designed for general DC shunts and sensors, and has no prototyping area)

The second chip is an interesting find. I'm happy to build some boards if there's enough demand! How many do you need?
Ok many thanks for your info. I'm a researcher not reseller. May be metering is the biggest application. 3 phase web based meter having switching capability for less than 100€ would be a cost target. May be some colleagues can step in offering that on the market.
Cheers

LTC1966 is an interesting chip, could be used for measuring power usage and management.
If LTC1966 directly drives WC analog input, it is best to remove the voltage divider resistor to ground, since current drain on the LTC1966 will be significant.
Once the voltage divider resistor removed, the max input will be 3.3V over 1024, or about 3mV per bit.

CAI_Support said:
LTC1966 is an interesting chip, could be used for measuring power usage and management.
If LTC1966 directly drives WC analog input, it is best to remove the voltage divider resistor to ground, since current drain on the LTC1966 will be significant.
Once the voltage divider resistor removed, the max input will be 3.3V over 1024, or about 3mV per bit.
Thanks, would you do this before shipping?
Thanks

For WC8 this is easy to do. For WC32 it is harder, because wc32 uses resistor networks, and its traces are tiny small.

Back