DIY Dog Toy/Treat dispenser?

IVB

Got a dog a few months ago, we have to leave him alone for 8 hours/day now that school is back in session.  Looks like nobody makes an automated dog toy/treat dispenser anymore (not just blindly feed, but perhaps release a treat-filled kong every <x> hours).

Assuming I was willing to totally build this from scratch, can anyone think of pieces/parts I could use?  Heck, if there was such a thing as an automated hinge, I could just build 2-3 "boxes" where the bottom is a door thats closed, then use the Elk or CQC to open it/let it drop either via smartphone or timer.

BraveSirRobbin said:
http://gizmodo.com/5913008/the-6-best-toys-to-keep-your-dog-really-busy

But THIS is really you! ;)  (Hopefully you can get to the contacts on that remote)

yeah, I saw the gizmodo article, but the dogalopis one is discontinued and the others are "one-time" things. AKA, i'd have to leave them out, the dog would attack all of them, then get bored within an hour.  What I'm wondering is something like this arduino-based one but via Elk.   Then I could load it up with a kong, a toy, or something else and release it.

The remote one is interesting, although i'm hoping for toys too, not just food.  Maybe connected to a bell to indicate "fun time is coming". But hopefully my dog wouldn't just bark at the damn thing the rest of the time demanding more fun-ness...

man my dog would bark nonstop at the machine demanding to be fed, or try to knock it over when we weren't looking. We're working on the "boundaries" concept with him, but when we're not around he's a sneaky little .....

IVB,

Have you seen this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BGZElfn_DA

I might ... know a guy...if you wanted to attempt something like that.

:)

--Dan

IVB,

If you want more info or to get a hold of me quickly.  I don't frequent many forums often anymore.  Work keeps getting in the way.  :)

BTW, update on my Brazing/Welding stuff.  Finished up my Cart I built with Brazing.  Looks good after I coated it fire engine red.  Going to build a Go Kart with welding.  have everything except the steel and welder.  Local place is going to hook me up with a Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC welder for $580 + throw in a training class.  So, seems to make the higher price acceptable.

--Dan

Back