WiFi Controlled Thermostat sollution

pazvanti

I would like to buy a thermostat that I can control over the internet, preferably via an Android app. Sadly, there aren't many out there: Nest, a few from Honeywell and maybe ecobee.

All of them have one big disadvantage. They require a direct wire from the heating unit to the actual thermostat. Currently I have a simple and rudimentary one that controls the heating unit wirelessly by having just a controller connected to the heading unit. To be more exact I have a computherm q3 that controls a viessmann vitopend 100.

Is there any solution for what I am trying to achieve: Thermostat controled over the internet that wirelessly controls the heating unit. If it has some home automation features like the Nest for example, even better. One more thing, I leave in Europe (Romania to be more exact).

The new Ecobee 3 has a wireless remote sensor so (if it works with European systems?) you could kind of do what you want.  Install the main thermostat at the furnace and place the remote sensor where you want.  In fact you can have multiple sensors, up to 32.  Give the remote sensors priority for controlling the temp.  

I find I don't use the Ecobee touch screen very much to control the system--the interface is better on a computer, tablet or smartphone.  So it won't matter that the thermostat is elsewhere.  Pretty sure they have an Android app.

The Ecobee 3 was just announced a couple of days ago.  They're taking preorders to ship by the end of the month.  Fluffy marketing information available at:

https://www.ecobee.com/

Craig

Back