5 Pin USB Connector

pete_c

Guru
I am looking at a 5 pin connector on a device.  I know which pin is #1 (square pad on circuit board).

Typically USB has 4 wires.  (this is just a google of USB wiring standards).

1 - VCC - 5VDC
2 - D -  - Data - White
3 - D + - Data + Green
4 - GND - Ground

5 - Unknown

5 Pin connector is tiny such that I should go inside and just solder wires to the circuit board.

Using a VOM I shouldn't have an issue with VCC and Ground. 

I don't think I will mess anything up switching the data lines.

Just curious if there is an easy way to check the IN/OUT data lines.

Guessing that pin #5 could be some sort of switch to enable or disable the USB port?  Major guess though.

Here is a picture of the circuit board and pinouts.

Pic-1.jpg

Just forgot that I can power the board with nothing plugged into it.  Plugged in board and see via VOM

1 - VCC - 5VDC
2 - D - White
3 - D-+Green
4 - ID N/A Permits detection of which end of a cable is plugged in:
• "A" connector (host): connected to the signal ground
• "B" connector (device): not connected
5 - Ground

Pins 2 & 3 are the Data lines.

I have a little USB breakout box.  Tested the above to work fine. 

From Wikipedia...

USB 1.x/2.0 Mini/Micro pinout Pin Name Wire color Description

1 VBUS Red +5 V
2 D− White Data−
3 D+ Green Data+
4 ID N/A Permits detection of which end of a cable is plugged in:
• "A" connector (host): connected to the signal ground
• "B" connector (device): not connected
5 GND Black Signal ground

Thank you TonyNo.

I thought the tiny connector was proprietary and it wasn't.  I edited the above as I was able to match the colors with my USB end.

The connector was so tiny that I didn't have anything that would fit so I used little Arduino / Rasberry Pi Jumper cables.

There was a little tiny plastic cover on it and I can refit it the way I did this.

The device is an Ayaya Telco DECT hub touch screen which has been tweaked a bit.

OpenPeak-Telco.jpg

Connected a web cam to test today.  Works fine.

~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 13fd:1040 Initio Corporation
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:1974 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04cc:5556 ST-Ericsson
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a5c:219a Broadcom Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Next modification will be inside of the device.  MicroSD and SIM slot.

MicroSD-1a.jpg

I have a "test" board configured to power up with no LCD connection; et al.  I can get to it via SSH.  Here is a picture of the board outside of the case with its connections in place.

OF2PCBoard.jpg

Yeah; basically had no clue if there was a standard to the pin outs on the top of this device as there is no documentation on it today that I could find.

It was sold though with a statement relating to optional 2 way video/audio connectivity.  Using a Logitech to test but its too big and now looking for some little tiny with audio USB camera that I can fit on to the cover of the pins such that its an easy plugnplay device.

Next steps though are trying to get the DECT phones to connect.  I can make them work with my Ooma VOIP box and with the stock OS on the Openpeak such that all of the stuff is there; just cannot figure it out.  Same for the Zigbee energy chip on the box.

Looking to fit a modular plug into the cover of the above mentioned USB port.

This is the original picture from above.  Will post another one with measurements and a picture of the cover.

USB Port.jpg

I am thinking that I can integrate the connector to the current cover.  The cover snaps into place. 

Curiosity question.  Has anyone seen a connector that would plug into this 5 pin USB port?

I have standard motherboard USB connectors and micro connectors for motherboards and this one looks smaller than those two types.

Thank you ND. 

Yup; have those and the newer micro USB motherboard connectors and they both too big. 

Here also have a bunch (box o little toys)  of Arduino / Rasberry Pi little things and the connectors on these boards are different.

I did order this to see if I could make it work modifying the connector a bit a couple of days ago.

I was going to cut it to fit if I could do that without damaging it.  (ordered 5 of these anyways).

These are single row.

1.27mm 1x50Pins Single Row Female Pin Header

OF2-1.jpg

Geez; noticing it looks like my mini IDE connectors that I used to use a few years ago except that they are single row.  Gonna check spacing though between pins.

Taking this picture and looking at the spaces tells me what I purchased will not work.

USB-5PIN.jpg

Found and purchased the right size.  I couldn't find any 5 pin connectors so will use these.

10pcs 1 x 40pin 2mm Female Single Row Breakaway Pin header for Arduino DIY New

I should be able to glue the 5 pin connector to the snap on cover.  The space above the pins looks to be the same such that I can double the header removing the other 5 pins such that it snaps into the space.

1 x 40pin 2mm Female Single Row Breakaway Pin header.jpg

I might too just tap into the board for a 3rd USB connection and use the top one for a tiny USB camera.  Testing with Logitech C-270's which work nice but are too big.

This tabletop touchscreen was designed with a removable bracket for wall mounting which would work if need be. 

Thank you ND.  That will work too and looking for the UK site connector here in the US.  The more to play with; the better.

Yup; trying to make the connector tiny such that I can fit it all in the little cover and then glue a mini web cam to the snap in cover.  This would provide me with a combination automation touchscreen intercom thing with camera.

Thank you RAL.  Yeah I tried with a similiar header pictured except its too high.  Needs to be about 5-6mm tall to fit it inside of the little snap on cover.

Going to try to move this OP and stuff over to my stuff here:

Joggler Playing

Thank you guys.  ND you got me to look at the connector better as I had only been guessing. 

I found it using google images.  Sometimes it's easier/faster to search for things visually.  That helps uncover the right keywords, and then you can refine the search and iterate that way.  Once you get a handle on essential keywords, like JST in this case, the hit rate rapidly climbs.  I'm sure you know all that, but I thought I'd mention it anyway in case it might benefit others.  

Thank you ND.  I couldn't find that UK 5 pin JST connector on Ebay.  Going slow with endeavor; no rush really.

Tested the initial USB connectivity using these cables. 

I purchased them with no headers and with single headers.  Worked great for me.  This was in my box o stuff that I have been playing with.   The ones with the headers didn't fit too well (too big) so I put a little heat shrink tubing on the ones without the headers to test with.

Female to Female F/F Jumper Wire Cable Connectors

jumpercables.jpg

jumpercables-2.jpg

Initial purchase of stuff came from here.  I ordered a bunch of stuff at a time to play with.

Little things to play with

Now looking though for a miniature RTC clock.  Ideally something the size of a CR2032 or even smaller battery would work for me.

Tried the image search and they are all too big for my use. 

I want to fit it inside of the TP-Link microrouter and there isn't much room to play.  It depends on my NTP server to sync time; but would still prefer it to have a hardware clock.

RTC clock boards.jpg

I'm using ChronoDot's.  They won't meet your ideal size requirement, but they are both small and surprisingly accurate (they use a temperature compensated clock crystal).  Adafruit sells them, as does the manufacturer itself for slightly less.  Worth a look. 

1.jpg

Length: 30.4mm/1.2in diameter
Height: 14.1mm/0.55in
Weight: 4 g

Back