Elk M1G Zone 8 or 9 Burglar 24 hr - how to access?

Hello.

DIYer here.

Replacing an old Ademco Vista 20se with an Elk M1G.

Doing a bench test.....

If I put a tamper switch on my Elk panel enclosure (rather a door sensor on the locked closet it is in) and program it as a "08 Burglar 24 hr" or "09 Burglar 24 hr Box Tamper" - How do I access my panel without setting off a burglar alarm?

I'm sure there is a simple answer, but the "stereo instructions" are kinda vague....

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

But the install manual says:

08 Burglar 24 hr - Intended for tamper switches, etc. Activates an immediate Burglary alarm if tripped anytime
(during armed or disarmed state).
09 Burglar 24 hr Box Tamper - Intended for control, siren, and bell box tamper switches. Activates an immediate
Burglary Tamper alarm if tripped anytime (armed or disarmed state).

24 hour tamper wouldn't be of much use if it didn't do anything when the system is disarmed....

Or am i missing something?

Disarming doesn't disable these zone defs. You can put a keyswitch on the wall near the door to override the door sensor. 

But if the closet already has a lock, putting a sensor on this door doesn't seem to make much sense.

Okay, so I ordered a big red switch labeled "tamper override."

Is there any other way to access the panel w/o setting off a burglar alarm - like from the keypad by using installer code or with a set of rules?

Edit:

Sorry - Didn't mean to come off as a smart ass....

But is the answer that there is no way to override a zone defined as "08/09 24hr tamper" other than to hard wire a switch?

Or to go to a keypad or RP and disable the zone?

And I guess that means using wireless sensor for tamper wouldn't work too well...

(and yes there is a lock, but at times I may leave it unlocked for hours or even days)

raptorsvt10 said:
But the install manual says:

08 Burglar 24 hr - Intended for tamper switches, etc. Activates an immediate Burglary alarm if tripped anytime
(during armed or disarmed state).
09 Burglar 24 hr Box Tamper - Intended for control, siren, and bell box tamper switches. Activates an immediate
Burglary Tamper alarm if tripped anytime (armed or disarmed state).

24 hour tamper wouldn't be of much use if it didn't do anything when the system is disarmed....

Or am i missing something?

Ok, I stand corrected.

If you are ok with it being less secure in the disarm state, couldn't you just enable bypass and bypass it.

How about the easy method of using a relay in parallel with the tamper switch. Put it to a task and then code protect the menu.

If the panel is in a location that is easily compromised, then a tamper on the enclosure is a moot point (unless you intend on back tampering the panel to prevent a pry type tamper and same with the cover.

Usually tampers on equipment are more to inform someone that an enclosure is opened and not really for the purpose of security....and more often used where there are multiple parties that may service the equipment.

wuench - i'll give you get the win.

bypass is the answer.

just go to a keypad, press bypass, type in the zone number of the 24hour tamper zone, press bypass again.
then you can access the panel (closet) w/o alarm going off.
when you are done working on the panel (or working in the closet), unbypass the zone.

thanks for the help guys, i guess...

Back