Looking for IR guru

Hey guys,

So I am trying to figure out some IR distribution issues and hoping the collective wisdom here is smarter than me.  I recently "upgraded" to the X1 platform and am using a PVI HD coax modulator to distribute to my house.  The issue is controlling the X1 slave box.   I have an old BOCS AV distribution system (http://www.bocsco.com/) that I am trying to use purely for remote control.  It is an RF/IR system with IR blasters for device control.  Obviously there are no pre-programmed codes as the X1 is new.  I have always been able to learn codes in to the system but can't get anything to stick for the X1 remotes.  I believe it uses the XMP IR protocol which I have read is tough with some learning remotes.  The crazy thing is I can get the individual remotes to learn the codes and control the box I just can get the centralized controller to learn the codes and emit a usable signal.

I know this is a VERY specific question but I thought someone might have a trick that I am not thinking of.  Otherwise it is down the JP-1 programming or using the Xfinity apps.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Might be crazy... but can the central box learn the codes from the individual remotes that you have taught from the original?

Desert_AIP said:

Thanks for the links.  I started there and it seemed like most of the info was for programming remotes (URC).  However upon re-reading it looks like someone had success using the "block" method to remove the header information.  Will give that a try.

mdesmarais said:
Might be crazy... but can the central box learn the codes from the individual remotes that you have taught from the original?

Haha.  I totally tried that and thought I was nuts for trying.  I am actually going to see if I can learn from my Hamony One once I get it programmed.  Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions and provide an update.  I'm hosed.  The main distribution hub is within the frequency range but won't learn the XMP and I don't know how to upgrade the firmware as the company has gone under and all attempts to find someone associated haven't worked.

As an aside I have greatly expanded my knowledge of IR/Hex programming which is interesting.  So now it's off to decide on if I am going to use some sort of IR repeater or jump to a whole home RF system.

Thanks again.

I just haven't been able to make that leap yet.  For TV's we don't watch much it isn't a big deal but I just like having a physical remote.  Not to mention my wife just chucked her phone across the room trying to fast forward while running on the treadmill which then makes the tablet a tough sell.  I'm sure eventually that is where all the control modalities are going.

Back