Which cellular reporting device?

So, I have pieced together an M1 for install into a new house in about a month, and have been investigating methods of reporting. From what I can tell the best method for some one without a physical landline...like me w/ Google voice & Ooma...would a cellular module of some sort. I currently have an Uplink 4530ex (sold to us and installed by alarm co) on the house we live in now and was planning on repurposing it to the new place.

However after reading some posts and discussions I've seen that this unit uses dial capture through the tele ports on the m1, and have read that a serial connection is preferred (Uplink 4500ez?). Can anyone clarify the differences between the two protocols? Are there any real drawbacks to one or the other? Is there a better way?...uplink, hai c3, $10/month landline?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Serial is true bidirectional data between the M1 and the Uplink. Dial capture is just that, the cell emulates a phone line to the M1. Gives a handshake and kissoff and the M1 thinks it went through even if the cell has issues, which is why a supervisiory zone is connected to the host panel for a summary trouble output to inform the M1 and end user if the cell has issues.The cells are not true passthru data, but only can transmit the signals they capture, and not every possible signal a panel may be able to generate, so paying attention to the data sheets is a must.

There is no silver bullet, but for the best and true bidirectional communication, the 4500 and serial is the way to go. For means of economy, dialer capture is universally compatible and has less moving parts.

Almost zero units will work with TWA and the M1. I haven't tried any of the Honeywell units (Alarmnet) that support TWA, but they are generally wired to the Vista panel's ECP bus so it's unknown if they would be universally compatible with TWA.

DELInstallations said:
Almost zero units will work with TWA and the M1. I haven't tried any of the Honeywell units (Alarmnet) that support TWA, but they are generally wired to the Vista panel's ECP bus so it's unknown if they would be universally compatible with TWA.
DEL

Are you saying that even the 4500 with serial communication will not work with the twa for two way listen-in and talk?

Mike.

Nope.

You're dealing with a data only service and a voice only product. Nothing is digitized on the M1, same with almost every control out there. For the only unit I know that supports AAV on GSM, there is a specific output cable and input, not to mention service. I'm sure you could bash something together with that manufacturer, but integrated it ain't.

Back