printer recommendations?

JimS

Perhaps a little OT but looking for printer recommendations. I have an old HP LJ4M+ that I bought used 8 years ago that has been very reliable but it now has a fuser problem. Seriously thinking of just getting another used one - about $50. It was on the network. Also have a newer all in one from HP. Inkjet but doesn't get used enough to keep the thing working well. Need color occasionally and the scanner. Have an older scanner and thinking of using asterisk for few faxes. Any thoughts?

All I can tell you is to stay away from Brother printers!  I have an all in one that crapped out in less than a dozen uses.  Seems it is common with this model.  Brother doesn't want anything to do with it (and OMG, just try calling their customer service!  It's a nightmare).

Yup; here (home office) have a HP Laserjet 6P which I bought new years ago that just goes and goes. 

I also have a Samsung and NEC office laser printer which work well.

I too have a brother multifunction printer combo FAX, scanner printer that just quit on me about two weeks ago.  It worked OK for a few years though.

Really its just a throwaway these days.

I don't print any large volumes and don't need laser quality and find that a cheap HP from the club store suits me fine. I have an HP 5510 wifi scanner printer that cost under $100 and print wirelessly from both windows and ios devices. The drawback is that the ink is expensive but for the little printing that I do a cartridge lasts for moinths.

Another good feature of the HP is that the print head is built into the ink cartridge so that you get a nice new clean nozzle with each cartridge. I also own an epson photo printer that is constantly clogging on me from sitting unused too long. Laser printers don't suffer these problems.

Mike.

Looking today for a new one.  In Florida when the old Brother multifunctional printer quit I purchased a laser Brother multifunctional printer which is still working fine today.  It has a smaller footprint than the inkjet brother multifunctional one here.

The above said looking for that whole copy manual and via the computer thing plus still wanting to use a FAX machine.

Old fashioned here I still utilize an Alps MD-5000 printer for my Christmas cards (well pictures).  It prints really slow but the pictures are really nice.

I do not want to take away from JimS's search and OP .

Ideally one of those small Xerox copy scan printer fax machines would work for me but its too big for my printer closet.

Googling best network laser copy multifunctional (scanner, copy, fax and laser printer) printer under $200 now this morning.

I prefer wired versus wireless (actually most of the wireless printers and interfaces are crap).

Found this one and its only $99 at Best Buy (discontinued model).  It has good reviews on Amazon.

canon-multifunctional.jpg

The HPs are very solid and have a reputation for being almost indestructible. My only complaint is that they draw about 25W on standby. The slightly later models are the same. One thing on my to do list is to make a low power print server that would automatically cut power to the printer after a period of inactivity. Looks like I could do it with a Raspberry Pi or Beagle Bone Black and CUPS.

Yeah the newer smaller laserprinters are very green.   I prefer a wired shared printer and noticed you pay a premium these days for a color LCD and wireless. 

Helped a friend last year whom decided to just go wireless on all of the office printers; what a major mistake.

I use an HP color laser MFP; I switched to Laser because I didn't print enough and the ink in the inkjets would always dry up from sitting idle.  I've had this for well over 5 years and it's been great.  One warning though - before cutting power to or turning off your printer, pay attention to if it ever cycles on its own.  Lasers - and especially this one, will draw power all the time but they'll run periodic cycling to keep from developing flat spots.  If you kill power and stop this from happening the printer will wear out faster. It is quite painful when I need new cartridges - a full set can set you back $600 - but otherwise I love this thing.

Work2Play,

Can't really justify a color laser although it would be very nice. I find the flat spot theory a bit hard to believe. That means I shouldn't ever turn off the unit? When purchased it has been sitting in one position for some time so that is bad for it too? I somewhat understand the idea but I can't believe that shutting the thing off for a few days here and there are going to cause problems. Do you have any references to support that? If I am wrong I would be glad to know that.

I'll have to see what I can dig up - I've been in this industry for a long time and dealt with it plenty - maybe it's not all the rollers as much as flat spots on the drum although I also know from experience that if you buy a large volume printer and don't use it enough it can also wear prematurely (these rubber rollers harden over time so they're more pliable during initial shipping but later lose that elasticity).  A couple days is probably nothing - but in my case my printers would sit long enough unused that ink would dry out - so in theory I might want to save power and turn off the laser when not in use, but again - I've had enough issues with that to know better.  There's also a reason that about every 24 hours my printer will come on and cycle the rollers then go back to sleep.

Work2Play said:
I use an HP color laser MFP; I switched to Laser because I didn't print enough and the ink in the inkjets would always dry up from sitting idle.  I've had this for well over 5 years and it's been great.  One warning though - before cutting power to or turning off your printer, pay attention to if it ever cycles on its own.  Lasers - and especially this one, will draw power all the time but they'll run periodic cycling to keep from developing flat spots.  If you kill power and stop this from happening the printer will wear out faster. It is quite painful when I need new cartridges - a full set can set you back $600 - but otherwise I love this thing.

+1!

I find that I print in spurts. I can go 2 months without printing anything, then use 100 pages in a week. As above, I found that my inkjet cartridges were drying up over the down times which was drastically reducing their life. I also went with a HP color laser MFP about 2-3 years ago. If I recall correctly, I think I spent about $300 on the printer, but I haven't spent a dime on toner yet. In the long run, it will be well worth it's cost as I know I will be saving loads compared to the amount of ink that I used to have to purchase.

I just picked up a used HP LJ 4000 for $50 with low page count.  But I would be interested in what model HP color laser MFP you guys have.

I had a ~$400 HP color laser for a while, but, it died after only 3-4 years.

My printing habits changed a few years ago, so, I usually print every week now, and, inkjet is fine again.

I've had a HP 3050 for years and no complaints. Think the drivers were a PITA when I got a win 7 machine, but that really isn't a dealbreaker.

Back