Relative newbie in need of assistance

All,

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am fairly far along into my M1G install, and all has been working to plan except for the telco portion of the install.

I am hooking all wiring up as per the wiring diagram:
Telco line, green and red to t and r, respectively
House phones, black and yellow to r1 and t1

I get no dial tone.

If I connect green and red (house phones) to r1 and t1, the phones work.

Other issue, all related, is that my M1G never seizes the line (r1 and t1 on green and red). I had the monitoring company on the line (my cell) and the line was never seized or a call made.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Scott

Which wiring diagram are you referring to?  The one in the Elk M1 manual that shows the phone connected to the M1 directly (pg 4 of the manual), or the diagram the shows the phone connected through an RJ31X jack (page 7 of the manual)?

Are you using an RJ31X?

When you say "House phones, black and yellow to r1 and t1"  to you mean the black and yellow wires that are in the cable that run to the phones?  If so, that probably explains why you get no dial tone.  The phones are most likely connected to the green and red pair.  That's pretty standard for the first phone line in the house.

The diagram on page 7 of the M1 manual shows the black/yellow wires from the RJ31 spliced to the phone wire. But what it doesn't say is that the splice should be made to the green/red pair.

scottgoodman said:
 Other issue, all related, is that my M1G never seizes the line (r1 and t1 on green and red). I had the monitoring company on the line (my cell) and the line was never seized or a call made.

Do you really mean that you had the telco line green and red connected to R1 and T1 on the M1?  The telco line should be connected to RING and TIP.

It would help us to help you if you could post a diagram of how you actually have it wired, with all the wire colors noted.

Sounds more like the OP wired the unit as an extension and not for line seizure and somewhere the other devices have a short on the y/b pair.

Ring/tip is really inconsequential with modern devices.

As far as no dial tone, is the M1 happy with the phone connection? Have you listened via the "butt set" feature of the M1? Use a DMM to see if there's voltage?

RAL and DEL,

I followed the instructions in the manual.  Page 7. 

Took a standard phone cable, cut off the end.
From Telco, green and red to ring and tip (green to T(5), red to R(4)), on the RJ31x

Green and red, new wire, to my house phone. 

Not sure what you mean by extension and not for line seizure?  How do I change it for line seizure?  How do I do a butt set test and where should I be testing for voltage?

Thanks

The purpose of the RJ31X is to allow the alarm panel to seize the phone line, even if it is in use.  The RJ31X should be installed between the incoming phone line from the demarcation jack (network interface device) and ALL the phones in the house.  You shouldn't just connect it to a nearby phone jack.  If you have only one phone in the house and you plug that phone into the RJ31X, then it will work ok, but I wouldn't recommend doing it that way.

So, with the phone line connected to the RJ31X and the RJ31X connected to the Elk, take a multimeter and measure the voltage across the M1's TIP and RING terminals.  When the phone and M1 are on-hook, you should see about 48 VDC.  When either goes off-hook, the voltage should drop to something in the range of 3 to 9 VDC.   Let us know what you measure.

The M1 has a butt set feature that allows you to listen in to the phone line via the speaker(s) connected to the M1's OUT1 speaker output.  See the System Test menu options (84) on page 18 of the M1 manual.  If you enable this and run an alarm test, you should hear the dial tone and then the Elk trying to dial the central station.

RAL.

The RJ31x is installed directly from the demarcation box to the tip and ring. The phones connect to t1 and r1, as per the manual.

Will try the tests you've mentioned and report back.

Thanks

You need 4 conductors for an RJ31X.

Basically, everything that was posted about how iyou have it connected points to improper and incorrect wiring and connection

You have a 31X. Came with the M1. Run a 4 conductor minimum to the phone Dmarc. Follow the many guides on how to connect a 31X and cabling together. Then use the 8 pos RJ45 plug that comes with the M1. Connect the R,G, Slate, Brown to the M1.

That will fix your problem, unless of course, you have programming issues to boot.

The diagrams in the images are correct, but can be a little misleading.  The black and yellow wires that are shown connecting to the phone get connected to the red and green wires in the cable that runs to your phones - i.e. the customer side wiring, not the telco side.   I wouldn't have drawn the diagram showing that these go back to the demarcation interface.

The diagram below is a better diagram, in my opinion.  The dashed red/green lines represent the original wiring before the RJ31X was installed.  The red/green lines going to the house phones are the equivalent of the black/yellow wires in the images you linked to.  You do not want to connect the yellow/black wires in the cable running to the house phones to the R1/T1 terminals.

eWTAM.jpg

Sorry, but I am still confused based on the above drawing.  Do the dotted lines need to be connected?  if so, I can add that. 

I did the following 2 tests:

picked up a receiver and hit * * *, and I was able to connect to the M1, so I am confident that the wiring to the house is fine.

unplugged the phone line from the demarc, and reconnected it.  the house phones rang.

Next, I have to connect a speaker to output 1, to do a line seize test.  any advice?

No, the dotted lines do not need to be connected after the RJ31X is in place.  They are just there to show how things used to be wired before the RJ31X was added.

Sounds like adding the speaker is the proper next step so you can hear what is going on during the line seize test.

Hooked up output 1 to a speaker, ran the communicator test from a keypad, and I heard nothing from the speaker.  

The first time I tried the test, my M1XEP was unplugged, and the keypad said "ethernet error".

So, do I have a setting wrong? any explanations?

Have you measured the voltage on the M1's TIP and RING terminals?   You should see 48VDC there if you've got it wired right.  When you start the test, the voltage should drop to around 3 to 9V.

Also, while you run the test, watch the two LEDs on the left side of the M1 circuit board, just below the zone 9-16 connector block.  One is "telco seized" and the other is "dialer active." Proper operation of these is described on page 6 of the manual.

voltage measured....  47.7v across tip and ring.  

did test from keypad, ran back to m1 and no line seizure and no dialer active, as well as no voltage drop.....

Ok, that's good.  The next thing to look at is whether the dialer is configured properly.

Go through the Communicator Setup Checklist in section 3.5 of the manual, and double check all the settings.

In particular, look at what is configured for Menu 08, Option 1 (format) and Option 4 (dial attempts).   It might be helpful if you post all of your Menu 08 settings here.

Back