posting sometimes happens but does not update in browser window

JimS

Just had this happen again. Using Firefox. I write up a post and hit the post button. Nothing appears to happen. But if I open another tab and look at the site it has been posted. I have learned to check this after having a couple of duplicate posts. Seems like some sort of site problem.

Good to know I'm not the only one seeing this.  Refreshing works but the problem with refreshing the page is if the post didn't happen you lose what you have typed.  By opening another tab you still have a chance to easily post it.  My real point wasn't about how to work around the problem but the fact that this doesn't always work correctly, or at least what I consider correctly.  Not a major thing but certainly an annoyance.

Guess I should mention that most of the time it works fine.  But occasionally this issue happens.

Sure. When I've experienced the issue, I've been sure to copy the text entry before refreshing the page... just in case it didn't post.

Usually, when I have encountered this, it is because someone else posted something to the same thread after I started writing my post, but before I made my post.

RAL said:
Usually, when I have encountered this, it is because someone else posted something to the same thread after I started writing my post, but before I made my post.
RAL hit the nail on the head; it's been happening like this for some time now and it's always the result of someone else posting after you opened the page but before you saved your post.

The other big bug is that you can't do attachments of any sort if editing a post in IE.  Yet another bug in the forum software.  Hopefully that'll get resolved someday because once you make the mistake of clicking to add an attachment, you're done - all you can do is close the page or refresh losing everything and there's no way to get back to your content to copy/paste it.

What settings in my browser prevent me from cutting and pasting or quoting someone else's post?

I can post ok at work with IE8, but not at home with IE11.

It's not that the forum software needs to be corrected. They use this same forum software for the UDI forum and some options to support IE have to be enabled. The forum people just don't give a shit. In the last few years there has been a massive "make sure  anything Microsoft doesn't work" movement by Google and Linux people. This just seems like another one to me. :D

Compatibility mode in IE can help somewhat but quoting and other features need some forum settings altered to function.

Wait 'til you type a large paragraph and hit backspace to delete the period and extend the sentence. Your whole paragraph gets deleted and you can start over.

Back