How to print from PCA to file for export to monitoring company

mariomp

How do I print to file so that I can copy/paste easily?
The monitoring company needs this information and unless my setup is incorrect (print to file from http://wiki.inphonite.com/Default.aspx?Page=TextFilePrinterSetup&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 )

I get somewhat usable information, but by no means anything great.

In the past I resorted to doing screen captures, but that doesn't allow for copy/paste or text search.

Surely there’s got to be a way to do this.

Export as you have, preferably modify to a CSV. Import into Excel and change the delineation to what you need or want. Then verify the file imported as you needed, IE: no odd breaks or similar.

You could also print to CutePDF and then modify from there and drag into whatever editor you see fit.

This is my #1 complaint about PC Access... no simple way to export to text.  Closest I have ever come is print to PDF, which if you use the right print driver will include the text so you can cut and paste.

DELInstallations said:
Export as you have, preferably modify to a CSV. Import into Excel and change the delineation to what you need or want. Then verify the file imported as you needed, IE: no odd breaks or similar.

I tried the csv Excel thing.
The columns are all screwed up and don't line up past the first column or two.
Have you tried it with success?

I haven't tried the print to PDF yet. I'll work on that now.

I think it's stupid not to be able to print or export to text.

mariomp said:
I tried the csv Excel thing.
The columns are all screwed up and don't line up past the first column or two.
Have you tried it with success?
Easy enough to fix with minimal work. Do the same all the time with multiple programs, as I said, you may need to perform some clean up, but it's really not that difficult.

Barring that, if you print to PDF then do the same it might work better for you, although there may still be some formatting to be done.

It's not so minimal when you have 92 zones, 143 loads (switches) and about 1000 lines of programming.
But I get that it's doable; just not as easy as it should be.
I just sent off email with 32 zones. After dicking around with CSVs, Text and PDFs, I ended up retyping probably 50% because copy/paste of partial cells in Excel is such pain in the ass.
BTW, the print to PDF, copy/paste to Notepad and saved to .TXT, then Text to Columns in Excel yielded best results but still took work.

Have you tried printing the PCA file to a Microsoft XPS document?  The XPS document can then be opened using the default XPS viewer which should allow copying and pasting.

BobS0327 said:
Have you tried printing the PCA file to a Microsoft XPS document?  The XPS document can then be opened using the default XPS viewer which should allow copying and pasting.

I just tried it for the first time, EVER.
XPS printout looked just like PDF one, but just like PDF's copy/paste, the results were aweful. 

It is what it is.

I stated exactly what tech stated to you about going into a PDF and then dragging into an .XLS and modifying.

92 zones.....I have to do this on an enterprise sized winpak access system with that many panels (* 2 or 4 doors with 2-4 inputs and outputs per door, so I know where you're coming from).

Once the SS is built it's not a huge deal to modify cells.

Back