new to home a/v and building a new home

jp2112

I am clueless when it come to home audio and i would like to install a home audio system myself. i would like to have 3-5 zones and a central computer that i can stream audio and video from. i would like controllers in each of the zones. i would only need to stream video to the living room. i have been reading a lot on this site, and have found mention of the nuvo and russound controllers but I'm not sure what i would need to go with them. If someone could point me in the right direction as far as components i need it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Are you looking to install surround sound in the living room?

If so, I would consider installing (2) separate systems - one that would provide audio/video to the living room (including your video sources, such as Set-Top Boxes (STBs), BluRay Player, etc) and a whole-home audio system (Russound or Nuvo). The former would be utilize an Audio Video Receiver (AVR). Understand that you can tie portions of each together, so you can share sources between the systems.

If I had the cash today, I'd be installing a Russound MCA-C3 (with keypads in select locations - they aren't required for use) and the DMS-3.1. You can control the MCA-C3 with Apple or Android devices using the MyRussound app.

yes i would like surround sound in the living room. any suggestions on a budget friendly surround sound?

jp2112 said:
yes i would like surround sound in the living room. any suggestions on a budget friendly surround sound?

Everyone has a different idea of a cost associated with the term budget, so how much are you looking to spend?

Do you prefer bookshelf or in-wall speakers?

I personally use Proficient in-wall speakers, but I'd also recommend JBL (Leviton also re-brands JBL). My use of either is personal preference - there are plenty of other manufacturers available as well.

My brand of choice for AVRs is Pioneer, but I know that Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha also make good AVRs as well. Going the DIY route, I don't think you'd have a problem getting a surround sound system for under $3k.

Yup here went with a Russound zoned system and separate MM receivers.  Main media room has 7.1 sound with a mixture of in wall and external speakers.. There is one output to the zoned amp from the mm reciever.

I built out a WHA system using HTD's products and a Mac Mini.

The Mini is connected via TOSlink to a HTD keypad in the kitchen, and from there can be picked up by any of the 7 rooms with a speaker/keypad combo.

Given that I'm using a Mini I also use AirPlay to send audio to the garage ( Airport Express ) and to the media AVR in the family room.

Each of the HTD keypads has a mini jac where you can send audio into the system.

The WHA speakers are a mix of DefTech and HTD. With the exception of a Monoprice wireless sub hidden up in the rafters of the kitchen.

give the HTD stuff a look. they don't get much mention around here.

Its been years now and started here with in wall speakers in just about every room in the home. Standard wiring was using 16/2 (2 pairs) to one box to 16/4 to wiring closet.  Paired up with audio box is one cat5e to wiring closet.  Started here with the Leviton digital Chopin volume controllers many many years ago.  Updated the setup to the zoned amps a few years back and used the cat5e for the Russound keypads.   If I was starting from scratch I would most likely utilize the same wired infrastructure methodology.  IE: local and remote control / keypads of each pair of speakers.

That said the above wiring has been extended these days to more zones. (outdoor and garage).  Not using wireless anything here.  Music sources are in house or internet streaming services. 

The wiring would work fine with the HTD zoned amplifier.  Hardware control consoles today are propietary Russound keypads, Omnitouch screens and software (either directly connected to zoned amplifiers or indirectly connected via HAI OPII panel).

Here master bedroom has a sub MM system in addition to being part of the zoned system with 5.1 in main bedroom and just two in wall speakers in the master bathroom.  Audio comes from either source.  All of the speakers are in wall. 

Its been many years here and purchased all of the same in wall speakers in bulk for zoned amps (cases of them) while all of the MM sub configurations utilize different MFG in wall and external speakers.  (IE: switched my center speakers (for LCD) a few times over the years and currently utilizing Bose).

Today I utilize cable, OTA and Satellite for TV.  I am weaning off of TV in the sense of cable and satellite and moving towards just streaming a la carte TV via the intenet which is easier these days.  I have satellite radio and never listen to it much these days except in the automobiles (rarely though).

Personally here though I do not watch TV (anything: news, weather, tv series et al).  I just watch movies.

Wife watches regular TV and mostly watches recorded content (via satellite mostly).

Today for my video distribution I am using a MythTV box.  The software is free.  The content is endless these days.

I am also utilizing PlayOn TV on the Windows side.  You can also record content in the cloud for playback later with PlayOnTV.

Each LCD TV now has an XBMC box attached.  The XBMC boxes stream live, NAS or internet video and music.

XBMC is free.  Many folks are using Plex these days.  I can remote control the XBMC boxes if need be but don't.

I also run an RG6 cable to each LCD TV.  This carries OTA HD broadcast and in house video broadcasts.

I am also playing with Squeezebox players here and there.  I have the Squeezebox server running with the MythTV box. Squeezebox server is free. 

Many folks are also using the Sonos system for their main audio entertainment source today paired up with a wired zoned audio system. 

I still mostly prefer to listen to my own music over streaming music channels and do both these days.

snesgenesis said:
If you are an apple user you can't go wrong using Airplay. It's simple and reliable. For independent zones I use @ the moment 4 airport express units tied to a very affordable multizone amp.http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ma1240a-multi-zone-12-channel-amplifier--300-815 I spent about $700 on everything grand total.

nice approach - are your expresses hardwired or are you using wireless to get to them?

in my case I chose to hardwire them, to cut down on wireless overhead. the household wireless seems to be in almost constant video conferencing use.

My son runs Sonos speakers and they have a real nice sound. Very expensive though. They control them from their BB and Android phones.

I have always used Onkyo receivers as the technology used to be the best but who know now-a-days? The only thing about Onkyo amps is that they use a separate remote signal code for ON and Off. This sounds like the best idea for knowing whether the unit is on of off from automated controls but it is very hard to get remotes that support the two separate codes.

My first love was an old Onkyo with a class "G" amplifier with current drive outputs. The class "G" amp kicked in different levels of the switching power supply and ran ice cold no matter what level it put out.  At 700 watts of power output that was impressive = no standby consumption = leave it on. The thing fell out of technology with it's analogue Dolby decoder and lack of video switching style used today.

Yup; here like the Sonos line.  That said though I mostly stick to wired speakers today.  I have in wall speakers configured (12 zones + 8) and used a mixture of speakers for the AV stuff (5.1 / 7.1 stuff). 

I like that whole nostalgia stuff relating to audio.  Here (well in storage) have a pair of analog Jensen Stereo cabinet speakers from the 1950's.  This pair of speakers was my very first stereo speakers in the 1960's.  Big and a bit too big for use today.

During my school years had a friend who owned a stereo shop.  That said I was rotating a variety of audio equipment at school and selling it about once every couple of months.  (it was a plug for his store and new audio stuff and it was fun to try different audio equipment).

Jensen.jpg

I went through a variety of speakers in the 1960's-1990's with the last big speakers being Altec Lansing Stonehenge (model V) (very low on the WAF).

Stonehenge.jpg

My last favorite "box" speakers were Klipsch.  I liked these cuz I was able to order them with whatever wood finish I wanted in the 1980's-90's. 

klipsch.jpg

pete_c said:
Today I utilize cable, OTA and Satellite for TV.  I am weaning off of TV in the sense of cable and satellite and moving towards just streaming a la carte TV via the intenet which is easier these days.  I have satellite radio and never listen to it much these days except in the automobiles (rarely though).

Personally here though I do not watch TV (anything: news, weather, tv series et al).  I just watch movies.

Wife watches regular TV and mostly watches recorded content (via satellite mostly).

Today for my video distribution I am using a MythTV box.  The software is free.  The content is endless these days.

I am also utilizing PlayOn TV on the Windows side.  You can also record content in the cloud for playback later with PlayOnTV.

Each LCD TV now has an XBMC box attached.  The XBMC boxes stream live, NAS or internet video and music.

XBMC is free.  Many folks are using Plex these days.  I can remote control the XBMC boxes if need be but don't.

I also run an RG6 cable to each LCD TV.  This carries OTA HD broadcast and in house video broadcasts.

I am also playing with Squeezebox players here and there.  I have the Squeezebox server running with the MythTV box. Squeezebox server is free. 

Many folks are also using the Sonos system for their main audio entertainment source today paired up with a wired zoned audio system. 

I still mostly prefer to listen to my own music over streaming music channels and do both these days.

Pete, this post of yours mentions a number of different technologies/products in the media server world. I wanted to ask, are you recording any OTA, Cable, or Satellite content?

EDIT: Clarification... are you recording to a media server or just to cable/satellite STBs?

Back