Elk M1 not receiving UPB device status

mikefamig

I have searched around and learned that there is a communication breakdown between UPB devices and the ELK and other automation panels. I have the Elk turning lights on and off via rules but the status of those lights is not reflected in M1togo and ekeypad accurately.

My question - how do you guys deal with this? Is there a way to get ekeypad to get status updates automatically? Is it necessary to run a pc 7x24 with homeseer or equivalent?

Mike.

EDIT

switches are Simply Automated 11-40 dimmers

With HAI panels you can query device status. I don't know if the Elk panels can do that or not. Some dimmers also have the capability to report their new status in the blind over the network, but it would be up to the Elk to understand those messages....

If I remember right there's a FPN in the XSP manual about this, or at least was one of Elk's white papers on their old site.....from memory, I believe it can be done but the polling slows down the panel or XSP significantly so they put some guidelines out.

Been a while.

DELInstallations said:
If I remember right there's a FPN in the XSP manual about this, or at least was one of Elk's white papers on their old site.....from memory, I believe it can be done but the polling slows down the panel or XSP significantly so they put some guidelines out.

Been a while.
I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm using a PIM-E instead of an xsp and pim.

Mike.

I hadn't heard of the PIM-E, so I just did some quick searching... After finding it here, I went back to the Google search page and also found this, which seemingly shows that it's an Elk "endorsed" product with their own instructions. I found it interesting that the manual for the Elk "model" says, "Note: The ELKM1 PCSPIM will not work with UPStart configuration software."

Anyhow, have you watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQLwPt5bWw

drvnbysound said:
I hadn't heard of the PIM-E, so I just did some quick searching... After finding it here, I went back to the Google search page and also found this, which seemingly shows that it's an Elk "endorsed" product with their own instructions. I found it interesting that the manual for the Elk "model" says, "Note: The ELKM1 PCSPIM will not work with UPStart configuration software."

Anyhow, have you watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQLwPt5bWw

The note about upstart simply means that the PIM-E will not act as a CIM. You can not program the UPB network with upstart and the PIM-E. You need to use upstart and a CIM.

Mike.

I created two rules to speak when the elk sees a upb switch go on or off.

12        WHENEVER Front Porch [2 (A2)] IS TURNED ON BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE
            THEN ANNOUNCE On (vm310)
 13        WHENEVER Front Porch [2 (A2)] IS TURNED OFF BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE
            THEN ANNOUNCE Off (vm311)

When I switch the light manually at the switch it does not speak so the elk does not see the light switching. When I switch the light on and off using ekeypad the system does speak.

Mike.

Now I have also confirmed that the PIM-E is receiving the link when I tap the rocker switch because it's status light changes color slightly when switching. So why does the elk rule to speak trigger when I switch using elk controls (m1togo, ekeypad) but not trigger when I switch using the rocker on the physical switch?

Mike.

Do the US11-40s have an option in the Upstart "options" menu about "rocker controls load"?  If so and it is checked "yes," you might want to try "no" and set up a link so that the new link (and not the rocker) controls the local light...

TurboSam said:
Do the US11-40s have an option in the Upstart "options" menu about "rocker controls load"?  If so and it is checked "yes," you might want to try "no" and set up a link so that the new link (and not the rocker) controls the local light...

With help from Simply Automated, Elk and Automated Outlet we've come to some conclusions. The SA switch does send a link when properly programmed and we were able to prove that my switches are transmitting links. You need to check the box that says "report light level after rocker switch is pressed" under the rocker switch tab in upstart and links will be transmitted.

The links are also arriving at the PIM-E as evidenced by the LED light on the PIM-E when the rocker switch is pressed. I even set up a simple scene that turned on two loads successfully with one rocker so I'm certain that the rocker was sending a link. The problem is that the M1 controller is not recognizing or reacting to those links. I set up a rule or two to trigger on the link and rules don't see it either.

At his point we are gong under the assumption that the PIM-E is at fault and I am going to replace it with an m1xsp and SA-UMC-DB9W in place of the PIM-E and go from there.

Mike.

Mike, keep us posted. 

Maybe something is differnt with the PIM-E, but there are many threads here about the Elk not updating status even if Upstart is programmed as indicated and sending links.  There was some hope that the PIM-E solved that problem, and if would wonderful if you can confirm that it does.

TurboSam said:
Mike, keep us posted. 

Maybe something is differnt with the PIM-E, but there are many threads here about the Elk not updating status even if Upstart is programmed as indicated and sending links.  There was some hope that the PIM-E solved that problem, and if would wonderful if you can confirm that it does.
I'll definitely report back here but I am returning the PIM-E for an xsp and UMC. Elk, Simply Automated and Automated Outlet tech reps all tell me that the Elk should be able to see and react to the switch when it is activated from the rocker switch. I am talking about one switch operating one load. The Elk can NOT read a scene of several devices being controlled by a scene but will see a rocker switch when it is tapped.

Mike..

neillt said:
With HAI panels you can query device status. I don't know if the Elk panels can do that or not. Some dimmers also have the capability to report their new status in the blind over the network, but it would be up to the Elk to understand those messages....
neillt

You were right on and very close to calling the solution. The PIM-E aka M1PCSPIM was not seeing the status that was being transmitted by the SA UPB switches. I replaced the PIM-E with an  [SIZE=11pt]M1XSP connected to a UMC-DB9 CIM[/SIZE] and it works correctly. I didn't change anything in upstart or elkrp, only the hardware so the PIM-E looks like problem.

Mike.

Back