Temp Sensor terminal Block?

rfeyer

Since the temp sensor wires are a tad frail, I have been searching high and low for terminal blocks, such as telephone terminall blocks) but have not found anything usable.
What are some of you using? I would hate to use the American twist in wire connectors, and the German Wire blocks (light gray ones) are a bit too large for the wire size,

Rainer

I am use industrial quality DIN rail terminals blocks. I only connect to the load side so that I don't disturb the fine wires as much. The terminal blocks on he WC8 board are quite frail and will break the board foils if you keep cranking the screws in and out.

LarrylLix said:
The terminal blocks on he WC8 board are quite frail and will break the board foils if you keep cranking the screws in and out.

You don't have to torque them to 7000 in-lbs!
I've done up and undone the screws on some of these things hundreds of times, and never broken one yet.

The trick is to use an appropriate sized screwdriver of the right type, and tighten the screws "appropriately". That generally means "firmly" but not to the point you risk breaking the screw off, stripping the thread, crushing and breaking the wire you're inserting or twisting the terminal block and shearing off its pin. No amount of doing up screws on terminal blocks should damage the copper trackwork. If you've lifted the track, the connectors have not been fully inserted before soldering, and the force you're applying is FAR too high.

Just my 2c.

Thanks both - I will look and see what types of DIN rails there are - appreciated!
And will of course use a small screqdriver

Rainer

The DINrail terminal blocks may cost you more than the WC8 board.

Try looking for some Jones block or other cheaper style terminal blocks. Some come in premade rows of 10-20 units and are easier to mount with two screws.

rfeyer said:
What are some of you using?

Rainer
Most of my sensors are cable assemblies I purchased on eBay. As I've posted before used surplus 4-screw terminals blocks to attach them to main cable.

In cases where I wanted to use a sensor on a PC board with other electronics use an 18B20 in a three lead TO92 case. My eyes are too old to solder surface mount parts.

/tom 

Great!
Found both block types and each is affordable enough!

Learn something new every day from you all!

Rainer

Back