HAI OmniPro II Upgrade chip procedure help please

Juan

Hi, someone have any instruction on how to place the chip in my omni pro 2, It has 6 slots (U29 U30 U31 U32 U33 U34)

in U29 is a chip 20A04-2 v2.1,
in U30 is a chio 20A05-2 v2.0
U31 is empty
U32 is empty
U33 is a chip CSI
U34 is a chip CSI

In which of these I put the new 20A04-19 v2.8 chip and chip which should be removed?

hai juan.jpg

thank you very much
Juan.

Welcome to the Cocoontech Forum Juan.

Its been a while here but the chip update came with instructions on methodology of upgrading the chip. 

Takes 5 minutes.  These boards last forever. 

I am using a legacy OmniPro II board that is over 10 years old now and a newer Omnipro II with upgradable via software firmware.

Looking at my old documentation found the document.

From the instructions:

4.  Observe ROM chip U29.  This part is labeled with a part number and version.  See location on attached drawing.  Be sure that the upgrade ROM has the same part number as the one in the controller!  (For example, a 20A04-2 must be replaced with a 20A04-2).

You replace the first on on the left labeled U29.  Make sure you have powered down the board and removed the battery connection first.

Make a backup of your stuff using PCA before beginning the update and shutting down the OPII panel.

Hi Pete thank you very much for your quick response , and also for the welcome. I bought the upgrade chip on ebay and brought no manual. I will do the steps you describe me .
best regards (excuse my bad English I use google translator)
Juan.

I personally couldn't tell here that you utilized Google Translator.
Will do a quickie scan of said document and post here in the next few minutes. 

It is related to document mentioned firmware chip.  Methodology is same.

View attachment HAI-ROM.pdf

Welcome to the CocoonTech forums Juan!

I don't want to step on your toes at all pete, but I already had all of this typed up when I hit refresh and saw that you had responded.  I have the same answer for Juan, but with a little bit of... extra news.... bad news unfortunately

U29 is where the replacement firmware chip goes, and I believe U30 is the language chip.  If I remember correctly from past conversations with HAI support (now Lev S&A support), this is universal on all models.

HOWEVER: v.2.8 on an OmniPro II?  I'm sorry to say it, but I'm not sure that's possible Juan.  The current OPII firmware version is 3.14a.  Are you sure you don't have an Omni II (without the "pro")?  That would make more sense, because v2.8 is the last confirmed Omni II chip that actually went to production.  There was a 2.9 and even a 2.10 on the engineering books, but I don't know if either actually ever made it out the of the factory door, due to the release of 3.0, which if I'm not mistaken, coincided with the permanent retirement of the old Omni II.  There were never any v3.x chips made for the Omni II as far as I know.

Regardless, I am very sorry to have to bring you even more bad news my friend, but the "-19" at the end of the part number for your replacement chip....  is a 100% confirmation that it is "for training systems only", meaning it was designed specifically for HAI training classes... to emulate certain sub-systems that are not actually present, and custom pre-programmed (to various extents, depending on what type of training class it was used in).  It is not a production chip.  I could be wrong (this was a LONG time ago), but I do not think that you can wipe it clean & apply production settings to it for a real-world home setup (not from PC Access, or from a console).  However, I am very curious to know what happens when you try.

The production part number for the old Omni II (not Pro II) would normally end with "-1UPG", regardless of what firmware it is loaded with, so the fact that your old chip currently in the U29 slot is a "-2" (instead of "-1UPG" ), is concerning as well.

FYI only for future readers, OmniPro II chips always end in "-2UPG", and Omni IIe chips always end in "-50UPG", regardless of what firmware is loaded onto them.  Most of us have field-flashable systems nowdays, but there are plenty of the old school boards still out there in the wild, so maybe someone will read this 5 years from now and benefit from it.

[SIZE=13.6000022888184px]I hope this helps you understand your situation a little better Juan, and that this info helps others who come looking in the future.  Please post for all of us what happens when you put this chip into U29 and try to actually use it.  I'd even love to see some screenshots of what is hard-coded into the "training" programming.[/SIZE]

Edit:  Did you order this chip from eBay?  I'm guessing so, due to this eBay link.  Please take note that it does say it's for a Omni II (without the "Pro") and that it explicitly states "for training purposes only" in the eBay header.

Thank you Trey.  I did not know about this chip. 

@Juan,

Here is the link for the upgrade HAI Omnipro II ROM chips from Automated Outlet.

spacer.gif

HAI-20A04-2UPG

Thanks for that pete, but unfortunately Juan cannot use an Omni*PRO* II chip.... to upgrade an Omni II (without the "Pro").  Different board entirely.

Hi Trey, thank  you very much for your response, I would like to attach pictures or url's but as I am new user of the forum will not let me, if you want I can send them by mail  .

HOWEVER: v.2.8 on an OmniPro II?  I'm sorry to say it, but I'm not sure that's possible Juan.  The current OPII firmware version is 3.14a.  Are you sure you don't have an Omni II (without the "pro")?  That would make more sense, because v2.8 is the last confirmed Omni II chip that actually went to production.  There was a 2.9 and even a 2.10 on the engineering books, but I don't know if either actually ever made it out the door of the factory door, due to the release of 3.0, which if I'm not mistaken, coincided with the permanent retirement of the old Omni II.  There were never any v3.x chips made for the Omni II as far as I know.

I'm sure my model is OmniPro II 2.1,  is what appears in the Status screen of PcAcces

in the center of the motherboard is a label with the number U03895002
and on the lateral side a label saying: Controller 0A01 2/013400786-A3
And in owner manual say omni pro 2 20R00-2 REV A February 2002

Regardless, I am very sorry to have to bring you even more bad news my friend, but the "-19" at the end of the part number for your replacement chip....  is a 100% confirmation that it is "for training systems only"

You're right Trey, I buy it on ebay to raintreeindustrial
I do not know much about hardware :-(
The chip upgrade is label (HAI 2005 20A04-19 Omni ii v2.8 rom for training systems only)
I think it will not work in my omni pro 2, my mistake ...

The production part number for the old Omni II (not Pro II) would normally end with "-1UPG", regardless of what firmware it is loaded with, so the fact that your old chip currently in the U29 slot is a "-2" (instead of "-1UPG" ), is concerning as well.

In the slot U29 is a chip Tagged (HAI 2002 20A04-2 2.1)

hank you very much for clarifying my doubts.

Any idea if I can get some upgrade that allows me to use
my omi pro 2 connected to my home network via RJ45.?

I could only connect to my omni pro 2 from PcAcces using the serial cable.
thank  you

The Omni Pro II firmware release states for very first Ethernet enabled firmware.

IE: your chip labeled n U29 is a chip 20A04-2 v2.1 appears to be version 2.1 firmware where as:

Description The OmniPro II Version 2.4 firmware adds the following new features:

• Support for built-in Ethernet Port
• Support for new humidity zone

When using PCA what version of firmware does it state your Omni Pro II has?

Here is mine with up datable firmware using software:

HAI OPII.jpg

Here is the older one with chipped firmware.  Note that I haven't updated in quite a while.
Ethernet / automation / security works fine with this one.

HAI-OPII Legacy.jpg

the version of firmware of my  Omni Pro II  I guess is 2.1
since being of the older model I think it would not allow use lan connection, although it has the RJ45 plug
pca.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-11-25 20.54.50 640x480.jpg
    2014-11-25 20.54.50 640x480.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 23
Yes; Version 2.4 of the firmware or chip would allow configuration and use of the network port.

The HAI knowledgebase is still up.  Have a search here relating to the variety of firmware upgrade chips for the OmniPro II legacy board.

HAIKnowledgeBase

I did have all of my old firmware upgrade chips somewhere here. You can have the one I have before I upgraded paying for postage if you are OK with an old firmware chip.  Other than that you can order a new one from the link I posted above.

wonderful, Thank you very much Pete, I do not need the last frimware, I just would like to use the lan connection,

you are very kind

Attachments

• hai.jpg
    hai.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 17
@Trey

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

@Juan

You can update your old PCA to new sending an email request to HAI with the serial number of the current PCA you are using. 

I am thinking it will work and you then see much of the new options for the available 3.XX firmware for the OP II board.

The newest 3.XX firmware does add a bunch of new options to your current HAI OPII board.

IE: just went to the grocery store and was trying to type following wife.  It doesn't work for me.

I did notice that they do sell a variety of flavors of coffee beans for grinding such that I did pay attention a bit to the shopping and bought some coffee beans.

Back