elk m1 project. windows first

Makave2345

Im about to start pre wiring and want to concentrate on the windows first.

I have decided to use a elk m1 gold system, along with insteon/issy system.

Going to use Tane "pill" switches for the windows. Wiring to these will be 22/4 shielded solid wire.

Also want to pre wire for Somfy shades. 16/2 for power and cat 6 for control?

All will be homerun back to central media room.

Looking for suggestions, comments and criticism.(Anything that will be of help so I don't miss anything) Would like for everything to interact with one another.

Anything else I need to pre wire for directly around the windows?

Just concentrating on windows right now. This will be expanded later to cover doors, motion sensors, cameras, door phone, etc.....

Thanks for this great forum.

Makave2345 said:
All will be homerun back to central media room.

Looking for suggestions, comments and criticism.(Anything that will be of help so I don't miss anything) Would like for everything to interact with one another.

Make sure your structural wiring rack is the tallest one you can buy, and consider putting in two! I like that you're not going wireless (which seems to be today's rage).

Be sure to run a couple cat5's from one rack to where you'll want your router (the central part of your house high up)

And while you're at it, give serious consideration as to designing a power supply system for the bottom of one of the racks.  Some Cocooners have used a PS from an old PC to eliminate the explosion of wall warts these systems want.

Anyway, those are 3 areas I fell short on that I wish I knew then what I know now.

Yeah. Definitely want to go hardwired as much as possible.

That's a very good idea about the power supply system. Got any links/pictures?

And I know, im just starting on the windows first, but is there anything else you can think of that
I might need to prewire for around the windows..

I know we cant plan for everything, but would like to try and "future proof" as much as possible.

Thanks again..

Makave2345 said:
Since the 22/4, cat 6, and 16/2 is low voltage, it should be ok to run all wires together

correct?

Correct, although cat6 is an overkill for shade control, cat5 is less expensive. Personally I prefer to use 22/4 as it is a thinner wire.

Back