Arming and Disarming Elk M1G with F key

mikefamig

I have set up my M1G to arm and disarm area2 using the F4 key on the keypad assigned to area1 requiring a user code to be entered before arming. The problem is that it only requires a user code when arming. It will disarm via F4 key without the user code being entered.

I did some testing and learned that I have a little animated clock icon in the upper left of the keypad lcd after arming with the F4 key. I waited for over five minutes and it did not go away. I had to press the "*" key twice to get rid of it.

After clearing the icon I pressed the F4 key to disarm area2 and it required me to enter a user code as it should. Is it really necessary to clear this icon with the "*" key? Can it be cleared by a rule?

Here are the settings in RP2:

Keypad 1
Key activates event 16=non alarm
Illumination event 1176=Area2ArmState
Requires code = checked
single press = checked

Here are the rules

27        WHENEVER  KEY F4 ON KEYPAD1 ACTIVATES
            THEN SET F4 KEY FLAG (Counter 3) TO 1
 28        WHENEVER F4 KEY FLAG (Counter 3) CHANGES TO 1
            AND Garage (Area 2) ARM STATE = DISARMED
            THEN ARM AREA(S) 2 TO AWAY IMMEDIATELY
            THEN SET F4 KEY FLAG (Counter 3) TO 0
 29        WHENEVER F4 KEY FLAG (Counter 3) CHANGES TO 1
            AND Garage (Area 2) ARM STATE = ARMED
            THEN DISARM AREA(S) 2 IMMEDIATELY

TIA, Mike.

You're correct... If a valid User Code has been entered the Clock Icon will run for approximately 60 seconds and during this time any feature which would normally "Require Code" you would not need to enter the Code to activate the feature. For example if an "F" Key required a Code to activate while the Clock Icon is running you would not need to enter your code.

drvnbysound said:
You're correct... If a valid User Code has been entered the Clock Icon will run for approximately 60 seconds and during this time any feature which would normally "Require Code" you would not need to enter the Code to activate the feature. For example if an "F" Key required a Code to activate while the Clock Icon is running you would not need to enter your code.
This clock icon ran for five minutes when I finally gave up and used the asterisk key to clear it.

Mike

I can say that I have this note to myself which is similar. I tripped over the issue a few months ago but never got around to verify and test. I had noticed the auth timer was still spinning a while later.

Open garage door and force arm with code at keypad. Close garage door. Disarm with keyfob.

The keyfob is generic so it's not linked to a user code.

video321 said:
I can say that I have this note to myself which is similar. I tripped over the issue a few months ago but never got around to verify and test. I had noticed the auth timer was still spinning a while later.

Open garage door and force arm with code at keypad. Close garage door. Disarm with keyfob.

It's a detached garage/workshop set up as a separate area and I want to be able to arm and disarm from the house and independant of the house arm state.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I have set up my M1G to arm and disarm area2 using the F4 key on the keypad assigned to area1 requiring a user code to be entered before arming. The problem is that it only requires a user code when arming. It will disarm via F4 key without the user code being entered.

I did some testing and learned that I have a little animated clock icon in the upper left of the keypad lcd after arming with the F4 key. I waited for over five minutes and it did not go away. I had to press the "*" key twice to get rid of it.

After clearing the icon I pressed the F4 key to disarm area2 and it required me to enter a user code as it should. Is it really necessary to clear this icon with the "*" key? Can it be cleared by a rule?

Here are the settings in RP2:

Keypad 1
Key activates event 16=non alarm
Illumination event 1176=Area2ArmState
Requires code = checked
single press = checked

Here are the rules

27        WHENEVER  KEY F4 ON KEYPAD1 ACTIVATES
            THEN SET F4 KEY FLAG (Counter 3) TO 1
 28        WHENEVER F4 KEY FLAG (Counter 3) CHANGES TO 1
            AND Garage (Area 2) ARM STATE = DISARMED
            THEN ARM AREA(S) 2 TO AWAY IMMEDIATELY
 29        WHENEVER F4 KEY FLAG (Counter 3) CHANGES TO 1
            AND Garage (Area 2) ARM STATE = ARMED
            THEN DISARM AREA(S) 2 IMMEDIATELY

TIA, Mike.

Shouldn't it be the opposite? That's how the Area1 works by default - you don't require a code to arm, but you do to disarm.

mikefamig said:
It's a detached garage/workshop set up as a separate area and I want to be able to arm and disarm from the house and independant of the house arm state.

Mike.

The other, more complicated method, is to just enter into Area2 on your home keypad - but does allow you to arm/disarm independent of your house alarm state.

I do recall an older thread that had some good information on this subject... arming a second area from an F-key. I'll post a link or the code as soon as I find it.

video321 said:

mikefamig said:

Mike.

I apologize as I wasn't clear... I sent that from my phone while watching a game ;)

I do have a 2nd area which is armed/disarmed based on the status of area 1. Whenever area 1 is armed away then area 2 is armed as well. Area 2 is then disarmed when disarming area 1. I don't have any user codes for area 2. I basically only use keyfobs to arm/disarm my home.

So, even though what we wish to accomplish may be the opposite - we both have seen the same exact issue! I would say that's because using an 'F' key is no different than using a generic keyfob (zone triggers) as far as the auth timer is concerned.

I hope that makes more sense. Perhaps after work today I'll have a moment to test it out to see exactly what does happen.

video321 said:
I apologize as I wasn't clear... I sent that from my phone while watching a game ;)

I do have a 2nd area which is armed/disarmed based on the status of area 1. Whenever area 1 is armed away then area 2 is armed as well. Area 2 is then disarmed when disarming area 1. I don't have any user codes for area 2. I basically only use keyfobs to arm/disarm my home.

So, even though what we wish to accomplish may be the opposite - we both have seen the same exact issue! I would say that's because using an 'F' key is no different than using a generic keyfob (zone triggers) as far as the auth timer is concerned.

I hope that makes more sense. Perhaps after work today I'll have a moment to test it out to see exactly what does happen.

Check outthis link fron drvnbysound
http://cocoontech.co...n-key/?p=170068
Mike.

I tried installing a timer as suggested by Spanky in the above link and there was no change. Back to the drawing board.

Mike.

I have a similar setup. I have 4 areas, one for each floor and garage. I only have keypads connected to area 1, first floor. I opted to not include areas in a cross pool, and simply perform a sympathetic arm of the other areas when arming area 1. I perform a check on zones in the other areas before arming. I also only arm the other areas in away mode to allow me to open my balcony doors in the morning to drink my coffee without have to remember to disarm before doing so.

elvisimprsntr said:
I have a similar setup. I have 4 areas, one for each floor and garage. I only have keypads connected to area 1, first floor. I opted to not include areas in a cross pool, and simply perform a sympathetic arm of the other areas when arming area 1. I perform a check on zones in the other areas before arming. I also only arm the other areas in away mode to allow me to open my balcony doors in the morning to drink my coffee without have to remember to disarm before doing so.

I do arm my area2/garage automatically when area1/house arms but I do not disarm them together. When I come home and disarm the house the garage stays armed. As a matter of fact the garage is armed most of the time in the winter. Don't forget that this is a detached garage and I enter my house through the attached garage.

I don't really need the F4 key, I can simply walk down to the garage and disarm it when I enter via the keypad down there and I can also disarm it with my iphone but I want a fast disarm in case of a false alarm and because it would just be very nice to hit a key on my way out the back door and have it disarmed when I get there. It would be a nice convenience and I haven't thought of any other use for the F4 key.

Mike.

OK I found a solution to the little clock icon running on forever. I pretty much just changed the "activates event" setting in keypad 1 settings to disabled instead of non alarm for F4 key. The system now insists on a user code to both  arm and disarm and the little clock icon runs for a minute as it is supposed to do and then disappears.

Mike.

Nice find, but unfortunately can't see how it would help me out.

Not trying to take away from your thread, but to add... especially if Spanky is lurking around ;)

I did some testing and this is what I found:

To recap-
I have a 2nd area that is armed whenever area 1 is armed away and disarmed whenever area 1 is disarmed - accomplished only with rules.

When I arm away using the keypad quick arm or code entry the auth timer clock will continue to run after countdown.
When I arm away using the keyfob (it uses zones and rules) the auth timer clock will NOT run at all.
When I arm stay using the keypad quick arm the auth timer will NOT run at all - area 2 is not armed in stay mode.

The auth timer clock will only stop after hitting * on the keypad if using the keyfob to disarm, but will stop on it's own after a minute when disarming with a code on the keypad.

Luckily... since I'm not using any 'F' keys for arming/disarming it's not that much of an issue. I also verified that even though the auth timer is running, the system will still prompt for a user code when bringing up the system menu options on the keypad if I disarmed with the keyfob.

I have no idea why it behaves like this...

Again, not the same issue as you, but yet similar.

Back