Future of the Omni controller

BobS0327

I get the feeling that Leviton has lost interest in the Omni controller line.  For example, they have partnered with Wink to produce Wink "certified" switches and eventually other "certified" products.  Also, Leviton's Facebook page states that if you buy two Leviton Wink switches, you will receive a Wink hub free of charge.

Now couple this with the apparent lack of Leviton support for the Omni product line.  For example, I have sent them a request concerning a Snaplink issue.  I received an initial acknowledgement of my problem but they failed to respond to my follow up of the issue.  I also posted a request for technical documents on their Leviton Home Automation forum.  Nobody responded.

I just get the impression that they're really promoting Wink at the expense of the Omni product line.

BTW, I will get the free Wink hub when I purchase two Leviton switches.  Now, I'll have THREE hubs the total cost of which was $21.00.  Bought one for 99 cents on Black Friday.  Bought a second for $20.00 on when I purchased two GE LED bulbs.

Wink support is phenomenal in contrast to Leviton support.  Wink TS really give you 110%  I've contacted them twice for technical info/ assistance and both times were very productive. 

Maybe I'm just misinterpreting the "writing on the wall" but I believe the Omni controller is just going by the wayside.

That is good question, and its hard to know. One would think, when Leviton bought HAI, that they actually had a plan, but that doesn't always happen.  I've been in several buyouts like this, and its amazing how little thought is behind them. 

I have heard rumors of an Omni Pro III in the works, and that certainly would be a large project. If I was optimistic i would say they are all working on it but they are sworn to secrecy. HAI has released the email board and a few other odds and ends after the Leviton purchase, so they are doing something, but not much.  If they are working on an Omni Pro III, that might explain the limited enthusiasm for the current products. 

Certainly the Wink is not much a replacement for a security/automation panel.  If anything, its a supplement to one. Also, the good part about an Omni, is that even if a new model comes out, you will still need door sensors, window sensors, sirens, UPB switches, etc. and that is the hard expensive part to install.  Replacing a panel with another is not that difficult or expensive compared to all the labor to install the rest.

Certainly Leviton would be wise to vocalize more of their future plans, but they don't want to hurt current Omni sales.

It seems as though the home automation/security industry is starting to implement the cloud architecture. For example, the intelligence (the controller) would be located out on the cloud, a hub would installed locally which would allow communication between the controller out on the cloud and locally installed devices such as motion detectors.  The local hub is essentially only a relay between the controller on the cloud and local devices. Thus, the reason why Wink can practically give the hub away since it is a very basic device to just allow a link between the cloud controller and a device.

I don't think the next generation Omni Pro III controllers if they ever come into existence, will be a good fit for this paradigm shift. That is, the shifting of the automation/security intelligence from the home to the cloud.

The question is whether the next generation will fully support the emerging automation/security technologies or will they just support the tired old circa 2000 technology. Hopefully, someone from Leviton/HAI will “chime in” and tell us the future direction of the controllers.

In the meantime, I'll fore go the purchase of four OT7's since Leviton/HAI is offering a good promotion on the device until 12/30. I just don't want go get stuck with unsupported, quirky devices and a technologically obsolete controller.

From a security standpoint cloud architecture has serious Achilles heels.
It depends on internet connectivity among others.

An integrated automation and security system needs to be home based with fall back protocols/equipment to maintain function as capabilities are degraded or deliberately eliminated.

I don't see how a UL listed alarm panel could have its intelligence in the cloud.  

What blows me away is that I can buy a Raspberry Pi for 40 bucks that has more computing power than an Omni that costs 1,200 list.  It's time to get modern software on that thing that can understand IP devices, and preferably have some kind of open architecture that can allow new devices to be integrated that doesn't require a firmware update that shows up 2 years later for serial only integration.

Think of something like the Vera, but running on a robust hardware controller.

Leviton support also acknowledged my RadioRA 2 issue, but hasn't gotten back to me with if/when it will be fixed. In PC Access you can not create a condition to check against level or timer options for a RadioRA 2 unit. These exist for RadioRA, UPB, HLC, Zwave, etc. It obviously is an oversight.

neillt said:
I don't see how a UL listed alarm panel could have its intelligence in the cloud.  

What blows me away is that I can buy a Raspberry Pi for 40 bucks that has more computing power than an Omni that costs 1,200 list.  It's time to get modern software on that thing that can understand IP devices, and preferably have some kind of open architecture that can allow new devices to be integrated that doesn't require a firmware update that shows up 2 years later for serial only integration.

Think of something like the Vera, but running on a robust hardware controller.
I totally agree.  I bought a 99 cent Wink hub and "rooted" (unlocked) it.   I don't plan on migrating to Wink but I have to admit this "cheap" device is impressive.  From a software perspective I could literally run rings around my Omni Pro II controller.  By software perspective, I mean adding functionality to the Wink hub similar to the Omni Pro II. It appears that the hub has been over engineered to provide for future expansion, possibly for supporting more protocols.

Yep, the open architecture/open API would be a definite plus.  Leviton/HAI does have a SDK written in C# which IMHO just plain SUCKS.  The controller needs an open API such as REST/JSON which many in the industry are now adopting.

Yep, easily registering IP devices would be another definite plus.  Again, this appears to be the way the industry is heading.  Specifically, low cost devices such as motion detectors with wifi capability will be on the market which is essentially the Internet Of Things (IOT).  It seems as though the various protocols such as zwave, zigbee etc. are going to be phased out by some common open protocol possibly wifi.  If that does happen, there will no need for hardware such as a Wink hub located in the hub.

Maybe Leviton/HAI management will start evangelizing the Omni line and provide a "vision" for the future of the line.  In the meantime, I've discontinued my investment in this line and started investigating other alternatives.  That is, until I'm convinced there is a future in the controller line.

BobS0327 said:
Yep, the open architecture/open API would be a definite plus.  Leviton/HAI does have a SDK written in C# which IMHO just plain SUCKS.  The controller needs an open API such as REST/JSON which many in the industry are now adopting.

What is even more maddening is that you can't write status back to the controller from third party devices.  For example, I can use HaikuHelper to listen for commands such as an audio zone to play, but I can't then report back that the zone is playing.  Being able to re-insert status to the controller would be an excellent stop-gap measure while they figure out what to do with the Omni line.  You could use it with HaikuHelper or other middleware to support IP controlled lights (Hue, FX Luminaire Luxor low voltage), audio (Sonos), etc.

BobS0327 said:
Maybe Leviton/HAI management will start evangelizing the Omni line and provide a "vision" for the future of the line.  In the meantime, I've discontinued my investment in this line and started investigating other alternatives.  That is, until I'm convinced there is a future in the controller line.

That would sure be nice.  I hope Leviton realizes that cheap-o cloud based "hubs" and the Omni products are not mutually exclusive for market share.  Most people that are really looking for integrated solutions like the Omni, which can be handled via the distributor network.  Let DIY homeowners buy whatever hub at Home Depot and support that.  I don't think they are eating their own lunch by having both on the market.

neillt said:
What is even more maddening is that you can't write status back to the controller from third party devices.  For example, I can use HaikuHelper to listen for commands such as an audio zone to play, but I can't then report back that the zone is playing.  Being able to re-insert status to the controller would be an excellent stop-gap measure while they figure out what to do with the Omni line.  You could use it with HaikuHelper or other middleware to support IP controlled lights (Hue, FX Luminaire Luxor low voltage), audio (Sonos), etc.
I am not sure exactly what are you wishing to do, but you certainly can use Haiku Helper to write the status of a unit, including audio zone, into the controller.

rsw686 said:
Leviton support also acknowledged my RadioRA 2 issue, but hasn't gotten back to me with if/when it will be fixed. In PC Access you can not create a condition to check against level or timer options for a RadioRA 2 unit. These exist for RadioRA, UPB, HLC, Zwave, etc. It obviously is an oversight.

I suggest you contact them again, but if they had acknowledged the issue they are probably working on fixing it, and it may be included in the future update with some other fixes. I had an issue with the Somfy shades a couple of years ago that I have reported, and it got fixed eventually.

picta said:
I am not sure exactly what are you wishing to do, but you certainly can use Haiku Helper to write the status of a unit, including audio zone, into the controller.

No, you can't.  You can read status, and perform actions, but no way to indicate a zone is playing, for example, or what it is playing.  That functionality doesn't exist in the HAI protocol between the panel and HaikuHelper.

Hmmm.. for those thinking a Raspberry Pi can replace an OMNI, tell use how that has worked out for you.  How did you create those 16 zones that are surge protected to meet UL?  And the outputs, and the support for expansion, and most importantly how did you create a system that never needs to be rebooted.  Sure, the processing power in an OMNI is not great, but its enough to do everthing it needs to do.

The push for cloud automation or security is a push to benefit services providers which lock you into "their" system in return for the month charge you must pay.  The benefit to the homeowner is debatable. 

ano said:
Hmmm.. for those thinking a Raspberry Pi can replace an OMNI, tell use how that has worked out for you.  How did you create those 16 zones that are surge protected to meet UL?  And the outputs, and the support for expansion, and most importantly how did you create a system that never needs to be rebooted.  Sure, the processing power in an OMNI is not great, but its enough to do everthing it needs to do.

The push for cloud automation or security is a push to benefit services providers which lock you into "their" system in return for the month charge you must pay.  The benefit to the homeowner is debatable. 

I was only comparing the computing power, not the rest of the board.  I get that a Pi can't be a UL listed panel.  But the small RAM size and limited processor power has been a plague for years... to the point that is doesn't have enough to get it done.  The lack of a robust IP stack is exactly one of the problems with the panel.

In my delusional world the Omni III is close to production, and will solve many of my issues.  The Omni gets the job done for now, and I would still recommend it to others, but that time is rapidly coming to an end unless we start seeing some major software development.  I am slightly happy to see they are hiring more software guys, and a new technical service rep.

I've had the Omni Pro II since it first came on the market in 2002.  It has been a good, reliable workhorse for me.  But I have to admit I never did like their SDK.  But Leviton/HAI's silence on the matter gives me the impression that the product line is being phased out.

I just checked the website of a local Leviton/HAI authorized distributor for new Leviton/HAI factory authorized training classes.  The last class was held on January 15, 2014 and there are no training classes scheduled thru the end of 2016.  Now keep in mind that these factory authorized training classes were once scheduled approximately every three months.  So, if you're thinking about becoming a factory certified installer, forget about it. 

Here too have had one first generation of the OmniPro II since around 2003.  I liked it and still using it fine for automation and security. It has never broken.  Over the last year have spoken to folks with the OmniPro serial only devices.  Those legacy panels are still working fine for them relating to security and automation.  I also have today a 2nd OmniPro II (newer generation).  It handles my current security / automation needs just fine.  IE: security, lighting, HVAC and Audio HAI provided stuff works OK.  I am playing but not actively pursuing getting much more out of the these panels these days.

I also utilized software integration / GPRS cellular phone remote stuff in the early 2000's which indeed satisfied my remote access just fine.

The above noted I wonder which direction that Leviton will be taking with the HAI line of combination security automation panels. 

I do think that HAI will remain an autonomous security / automation line for a bit. 

They will probably pursue a Leviton "born" automation line separately or maybe even do away with the HAI stuff. 

Nobody knows right now.

Back