ELK M1G and the ELK-110v5 - how do I get CO/Fire/Burglar to work?

cwagner2401

Hi.

Does anyone have a best practice to share regarding wiring and programming the M1G to use the ELK-110(v5) Voice Driver for separate Fire, Burglar and CO annunciations?

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Today, I have a Potter Signal VSD-208 voice siren drive connected to Out2 of my M1.  When the M1 gets a CO alarm, it sends a signal on Out2 that is interpreted as a burglar alarm by the VSD-208. I want a separate voice alarm for CO. I'm thinking of buying the ELK-110 but, I don't have a grip on how to make it work yet.[/SIZE]

I see how the Out2 can be wired to BA+ and BA- of the ELK-110 but, that just gets Fire and Burglar. How do I wire/ program for CO as well?.  If I make a rule and wire an M1 output to the CO input on the ELK-110, how will the ELK-110 deal with the fact that it sees a burglar alarm on BA+/BA- at the same time it sees CO?  Is there a config on the M1 specifically to stop burglar on Out2  and send CO to another output? Or perhaps does the ELK-110 ignore the burglar alarm on BA+/BA- when it sees the CO alarm?

Any insight/experience is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Shouldn't be necessary with the M1.

Voice programmed in the M1 using the internal driver on the panel, no separate driver needed.

Thanks for the fast reply.  

I use the Siren Driver because the M1 can't generate an alternating Siren/voice.

Not following because the M1 does all of this.....do you have abnormal programming or configuration?

I've done this in my own house and multiple installs. Burg/Fire/CO all have siren and distinct annunciation, better than a VSD-208 or a bolt on driver.

I connected speakers to the M1 and programmed the appropriate items in RP for zone description, globals, etc. Pretty elementary stuff.

I find it hard to believe that you are unaware that the M1 generates siren/bell tones in addition to voice on the interior sounders. Output 1 vs. output 2.

Everything the 110 does the M1 has been able to do since it was introduced.

I would suggest spending some time reading the manual for the M1. Covered many times in there, specifically pg 11.

Thanks.  I read some more and did some experimenting.  I think I can ask a more specific question now...

I removed the VSD-208 and terminated output 2 with a 2.2K resistor.

The speakers attached to Output 1 are annunciating Fire and Burg alarms (both siren and voice).

However, the CO detectors are not working as I would expect.  I have a CO detector on zone 14. It's set up as Definition 17 (CO) and Type 0 (EOL Hardwire). Cutoff timer is 600. Silent alarm is not set.. A 2.2K resistor is in-series with the N.C. contacts on the 4-wire CO detector (2 wires power/2 wires loop).

When I open the loop, I get a "CO Trouble" on the Keypad but, no alarm or annunciation. 

Under those conditions, I think I should expect to see CO Alarm and hear siren tone and voice on Output 1.  

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]The doc says that CO detectors will alarm 24hrs without the system having to be armed.  .[/SIZE]I'm sure I'm just missing some minor setting.  Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks again.

I found my problem. 

Reading a post from Spanky on another thread, I found that on non-burglar zones (Type=0) and when using EOL resistors,  an open loop shows trouble and a shorted loop across the EOL resistor goes into alarm. This is why I didn't get an alarm when the loop went open.

I wired my CO sensors appropriately to open on trouble and short on alarm and now Output 1 is generating a different siren+voice for each type of alarm (burg/fire/CO).

I removed the VSD-208 that was in the M1 cabinet and terminated Output 2 with a resistor.now that  the M1 is doing all three alarms without any help from external circuits (I didn't need an ELK-110)

Thanks, DELInstallations for pointing me in the right direction and encouraging me to read a bit more.

Double check your CO detector(s).

There should be some form of supervisiory or trouble contacts on the unit that must be wired in series with the NO alarm relay. They are needed to indicate an end of life or other issue with the detector and all the "real" detectors have had them in the last, say, 10 years or so.

Back