Does the Leviton PIM Require DEALER PC Access to Configure UPBs?

zinger084

Hello,

I just put my first Leviton UPB switch in today and went into my PC Access software to configure.  I'm not sure where/how to do it and from what I'm seeing, I may need the dealer version (which is total crap).

http://www.homecontrols.com/homecontrols/content/graphics/pagebuilder/pdfs/PC-Access-Comparisonj.pdf

SO, can someone clarify and help me out?  Do i need to order the dealer version?  Can it be done through the console so I don't have to order the dealer version?

Thanks.

Do i need to order the dealer version?  

Can it be done through the console so I don't have to order the dealer version?

I have always utilized the dealer version of PCA.  I would suggest that you purchase the dealer version of PCA.

It is much easier to program via PCA than to manually punch in keys on a console.  That said you could probably program the whole panel via console key punches but its a real PITA to do this.  (the directions are in the manual and it was the only way to program the older panels from yesteryear.)

Thinking you have to label a unit in order for it to be active.  When you purchase PCA the help drop down describes the methodology of use and implementation on the panel of UPB switches.

That said there I just set the unit numbers to match the UPB device numbers with Upstart (free).  Check out Upstart initially as that is the suggested methodology of programming UPB switches.

I do leave the HAI UPB PIM alone and use another HAI PIM with UpStart to program the UPB switches.

The console UPB programming is related to the HAI HLC (H.AI-Lighting-Control) lighting modules which are a bit different. 

I personally here have never tried to program a UPB light switch with an HAI console.  I don't think it works with non HLC switches.

Select UPB™ Device to be configured On Console 6 Status, 1 Control, scroll to switch name (or enter number), then #, #.

Depending what you want to do, there isn't really much programming on the UPB switch that you need to add to the panel. Assuming you don't have HAI UPB switches OR if you are NOT using HLC with HAI UPB switches, the only programming for basic operation is the UPB Unit number. The panel also needs to know your network number and password.  Entering this with a console is a big pain, but it can be done. But you can enter it with the PC Access User software as opposed to the PC Access Dealer software. The only difference between the two is the dealer software lets you enter setup data that typically a dealer would enter. You can enter that setup stuff by hand on the console but again, its a pain. SO unless cost is a big issue, your better off with the dealer software.

If you DO have HAI UPB switches, the panel can easily program the switches but only if you are using HLC, which is a Leviton simplified standard where the panel tracks the status of your lights. Otherwise, you can use UPStart to do most switch programming, and only tell the panel some of this info, like unit number. 

So there are lots of options. Its complex because of SO MANY options, which aren't really explained well. 

So first, are you using HAI UPB switches?  If not, I wouldn't bother with HLC, but if you are, you may want to investigate HLC. It does simplify programming. If not, definitly get dealer PC ACCESS.

ano said:
Depending what you want to do, there isn't really much programming on the UPB switch that you need to add to the panel. Assuming you don't have HAI UPB switches OR if you are NOT using HLC with HAI UPB switches, the only programming for basic operation is the UPB Unit number. The panel also needs to know your network number and password.  Entering this with a console is a big pain, but it can be done. But you can enter it with the PC Access User software as opposed to the PC Access Dealer software. The only difference between the two is the dealer software lets you enter setup data that typically a dealer would enter. You can enter that setup stuff by hand on the console but again, its a pain. SO unless cost is a big issue, your better off with the dealer software.

If you DO have HAI UPB switches, the panel can easily program the switches but only if you are using HLC, which is a Leviton simplified standard where the panel tracks the status of your lights. Otherwise, you can use UPStart to do most switch programming, and only tell the panel some of this info, like unit number. 

So there are lots of options. Its complex because of SO MANY options, which aren't really explained well. 

So first, are you using HAI UPB switches?  If not, I wouldn't bother with HLC, but if you are, you may want to investigate HLC. It does simplify programming. If not, definitly get dealer PC ACCESS.

I bought the following model off amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099QNNOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the leviton page is here:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=35A00-1&section=63226&minisite=10251

I have the non-dealer version of PC access.

So, starting at the beginning, how do I program?  For example, I want to be able to blink this light when the entry delay is active for my alarm portion of the BAS...

That is a Leviton/HAI switch, so you can use HLC mode if you like. Make sure the UPB powerline interface is connected to a serial port on the panel, and set it as HLC. Next you have to setup your switches using PC Access (non-dealer will work) then finally you tell PC Access (or the console) to program the switch after placing the switch in setup mode.  You do this by pressing the top or bottom of the switch 5 times until the LED flashes.

Now we are assuming you have an OMNI panel, but you have only mentioned the switches. If you ONLY have a switch, then you can program a switch with free software you can download from Leviton or Simply Automated called UPStart. Simply Automated usually has a new version, so its best to get it from there. You can download it here:
http://www.simply-automated.com/products/SA_UPStart.php

The same software works with UPB switches from any manufacturer.

So if you have a panel, read the HAI/Leviton Omni installer's Guide. If not, then program switches with UPStart.

ano said:
That is a Leviton/HAI switch, so you can use HLC mode if you like. Make sure the UPB powerline interface is connected to a serial port on the panel, and set it as HLC. Next you have to setup your switches using PC Access (non-dealer will work) then finally you tell PC Access (or the console) to program the switch after placing the switch in setup mode.  You do this by pressing the top or bottom of the switch 5 times until the LED flashes.

Now we are assuming you have an OMNI panel, but you have only mentioned the switches. If you ONLY have a switch, then you can program a switch with free software you can download from Leviton or Simply Automated called UPStart. Simply Automated usually has a new version, so its best to get it from there. You can download it here:
http://www.simply-automated.com/products/SA_UPStart.php

The same software works with UPB switches from any manufacturer.

So if you have a panel, read the HAI/Leviton Omni installer's Guide. If not, then program switches with UPStart.

So i can get the switch into program mode, and I have my PIM plugged into the Omni IIe panel via serial as well as plugged into the power outlet for communication, but I'm not sure where to "find" the switch within the PC Access software.  Should it just "show up" somewhere when in program mode?  where would this location be?

O.K. you have a panel and you can access the panel with PC Access. Good. Now you need to decide if you will use straight UPB or Leviton's HLC.  HLC is more regimented, but the advantage is the panel can program the switches (HAI/Leviton switches only) and it can keep track of switch status. But to use it you must follow Leviton convention of numbering and naming. 

If you use straight UPB, you program the switches with UPStart. All the panel needs to know is the unit number of the switches and network info.  If you use HLC, then the panel programs the switches so it knows that info already.

So to program switches with UPStart, you don't need a panel at all, you just have to put the unit info into the panel so it can use it. To program switches with HLC, you first name each switch with PC Access, then you can have the panel program the switches using the console or PC Access.

So you need to decide regular UPB or HLC first, then follow the correct instructions for each. They both have pros and cons.

zinger084 said:
So i can get the switch into program mode, and I have my PIM plugged into the Omni IIe panel via serial as well as plugged into the power outlet for communication, but I'm not sure where to "find" the switch within the PC Access software.  Should it just "show up" somewhere when in program mode?  where would this location be?

The question is asked all too often if Dealer PC Access is required.  If you plan to fully program an Omni controller panel, you'll want Dealer PC Access as Dealer PC Access is for programming an Omni controller panel. The two versions should really be called Omni Power Programmer and Omni PC Access Basic and while you can do many of the required items here, having the full product means you can go beyond simple.

So, let's go through this simple setup. Assumptions made are that you have Dealer PC Access by now, your UPB switch is installed properly, you have one PIM and interface cable, you've downloaded UPStart, and that you can can navigate through the PC Access and UPStart menus.  

After you complete this simple configuration, you can go back through and refine the config, changing format, names, or whatever, but at least this will let you test your desired configuration.

First connect the PIM to your computer and a wall outlet, install UPStart, then program your UPB switch with UPStart.  To program, place your UPB switch in discovery mode, then find it using UPStart discovery. Assign name, unit ID, network name and password using UPStart.  You can test the switch through UPStart to verify it is working. 

Leave the PIM connected to the AC outlet but remove the PIM cable from your PC and connect it to a serial port on your Omni panel.  I own two (2) PIM's - one for programming PC and one for Omni so that I can access and test UPB devices from either so you may find having two is a good thing.  Open PC Access and enable the serial port for UPB (see attached screenshot).

Next, in Dealer PC Access - > edit Units>>Dealer Settings and enter UPB network password that you assigned previously, then highlight Units and enter your UPB device name, UPB format (see attached screenshot).

Next create your program under Automation tab, using an Action of Control, Unit UPB switch name, Command Blink, and however long you want it to blink. 

Write to Controller, then select Communications>>Send Command from top menu bar and select your new program to test.

Attachments

• OPII-PIM.png
    OPII-PIM.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 42
  • OPII-UPB.png
    OPII-UPB.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 42
So this is what I did...

I put the switch into program mode.  I then read from the controller using the standard PC Access (no, I don't have the dealer version yet and I'm protesting buying it).  It found the UPB light switch.  I right-clicked on it and hit the program/configure button.  It looks like it named it automatically as Unit #1 (but somewhere I named it "dining room" before that).  I can control it now via the console or my computer thought PC Access.  For example, I have it set to come on at M-F at a certain time in the morning, and it's doing just that.

So, a few questions...

1.  Does the program automatically find the newest PIM when in programming mode and name it the next sequential "unit" number?
2.  Is there a method to "set" the dimmer to say 50% at a specific time (I'm assuming this is the "scenes" area of the programming)?

Thanks for all the help.

Yes, the panel will look for any switch in the program mode, and that is the one that will be programmed.  To do it correctly, the first unit in a group of 8 needs to have the name of the room, and units 2 - 7 are switches in that room. The next room starts at 8.

To set a switch to 50%, you can just have the panel set it to 50% at a given time. Or you can store 16 scenes in the switch so they respond to links, and many switches can respond to the same links. Say you have a link called "Party" and when the switch receives that it goes to 50%, another link like "Goodnight" could turn the switch of. 

If you are using HLC mode, then the controller probably already programmed in links for 20%, 40%, 60%, and 80%, but you can change these or add your own using UPStart.

Hi - I have an Omni LTe installed and operational. Use Snaplink for day to day but...

I own the PC Access 3.0 basic software for basic programming.

Unfortunately due to a software update, I lost the VM I had this software running on.  
Reinstalled a new VM and the software.

>> I cannot figure out how to connect my PCAccess via the network to download the data.

I am guessing I need the Installer software to tell my system the IP address and insert the system specific data, right?

With the discontinuation of HAI & PC Access by Leviton I am not sure how to move forward.

The one local installer has left the industry.  I think I might be able to contact his buddy, but if you have some info I am missing to connect the dots, I would appreciate it.

I cannot even find the Installer software online.

Thanks
Netweaver

netweaver said:
Hi - I have an Omni LTe installed and operational. Use Snaplink for day to day but...

I own the PC Access 3.0 basic software for basic programming.

Unfortunately due to a software update, I lost the VM I had this software running on.  
Reinstalled a new VM and the software.

>> I cannot figure out how to connect my PCAccess via the network to download the data.

I am guessing I need the Installer software to tell my system the IP address and insert the system specific data, right?

With the discontinuation of HAI & PC Access by Leviton I am not sure how to move forward.

The one local installer has left the industry.  I think I might be able to contact his buddy, but if you have some info I am missing to connect the dots, I would appreciate it.

I cannot even find the Installer software online.

Thanks
Netweaver
Sorry folks, I solved my own problem.  Should have slept on it because the answer comes by morning.

Back