COSMOD2W System Sensor Maintenance Zone Question

amikolajczyk

Hi all, I'm wrestling with an annoying function of the System Sensor COSMOD2W. It's not a huge problem but it's one of those things that I'd assume has to have been encountered before.

From what I can tell:
Smoke Zone: NO
CO Zone: NO
Maintenance Zone: NC

This is just based on the way the diagram shows the smoke and CO zones apparently provision their EOL resistors in parallel while the same diagram shows in a dotted-line fasion, the EOL resistor being in series. Wouldn't that indicate the MZ is NC?

What I've bee wrestling with is that any time the COSMOD2W gets reset, either from a module-reset or from a whole panel power cycle or zone level programing change, the Maintenance zone goes into alarm. As soon as I enter my disarm code, it stops and as long as the COSMOD2W stays up and online it's seemingly good to go from there on out. It feels like when the module initializes there's a short lag period during which the panel reads the zone as in an alarmed state.

I've tried setting up the zone both with and without NC-EOLR sypervision and the behavior is the same. Like I said, it's not a massive problem but it's kind of an annoying thing to have to remember every time a reset happens. Since I'm the homeowner and installer I guess I can get used to it, but if I were a professional installer I can't believe this would be a great way to make customers happy. I'd have to imagine I'm not the first person to encounter this.

For what it's worth, I'm running a DSC 1832 panel with single EOLR supervison enabled. Everything else working great, though this COSMOD2W has been a bit of a bear to figure out.

If there were a zone definition that didn't go "active" right away, that would be one way of dealing with it, but the DSC 1832 has no such beast...that I can see.

Thanks much for any advice!

Kindly,
Adam

You need to address the reset portion and how the panel does such....on a basic panel like a DSC, it's not going to happen natively or easily without throwing hardware at it. You need to consider the ZT that is programmed for the maintenance indication and the attributes of it.

If the reset tripping the maintenance is an issue you would install something like a Altronix 6062 or similar or a TTL relay triggered off the PGM. Other manufacturers could use their own hardware. Shunt the maintenance zone for X amount of time on a reset and ensure it's a one shot.

The zone is doing what it's supposed to; The loop is off normal but communicating to the module, so that would indicate a maintenance issue.

Thank you for the suggestion. I wasn't familiar with the Altronix 6062 but it looks like a handy little device and reasonably priced so I think I'll get one ordered and see what I can do with it. I'm just happy to know that things are working as intended and I hadnt' overlooked something obvious. It seems reasonable that this is as intended. Part of me is just consdidering making the maintenance zone on the COSMOD2W a simple non-alarm and tie it to my home autiomation system so that it emails me instead of actually generating an alarm. That would be easy, but I like the idea of buying the Altronix just to get the experience...thanks again!

Kindly,
Adam

Personally, if the system is monitored, the maintenance zone should go to the CS as well. Email and non-contact items are only go so far. A 24H aux or similar should do fine for reporting and not set the system off.

You can configure the maintenance zone as a fire zone on the DSC. Since the EOL is inline the zone can only be at the resistance value or open. When the COSMOD2W reports maintenance the zone will open and the DSC panel will show fire trouble.

@rsw686, right but then I have my panel sounding a fire alarm every time it gets power cycled or *72, sensor-reset. My original goal was to defeat that annoyance since, while it's not really a false positive, the COSMOD2W is actually experiencing an outage, it's just one we triggered on purpose, though the panel has no way of knowing this and just sees it as a problem which trips whatever zone definition it's slated as into a tripped state.

The only real solution to this, which DEL suggested was defeating the actual tripped state through harware. I was hoping for some PGM or Zone definition that might pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat.

I did see that PGM [25], Delayed Fire and Burglary (Functions as Fire & Burglary output but does not activate until the TX Delay time expires) which sounded promising, but can't get my head around how to use that to my advantage in this context. None of the zone definitions have a 'wait and see' modifier, not that I can see, and that's what would be needed here. Please do let me know if I'm mistaken in any of this however!

Kind Regards,
Adam

It will not sound the fire alarm. A fire zone is NO so it would have to be shorted for the alarm to sound. This is not possible as the resistor is inline with the COSMOD2W maintenance zone. I have my HAI OmniPro configured with the maintenance zone as a fire zone. When a fire zone is open the panel will show fire trouble. The same thing happens when you pull a smoke detector off the base.

Ahhh...I see your meaning now...that does make sense. NO on the Smokes but NC+EOL in the case of maintenance so we're not trippign the alarm just sending off a trouble signal...which by logic shoudl clear itself after the COSMOD2W 'settles' post-reset. Brilliant! I'll give it a shot next time I'm at the house. We're ~90% done with construction and getting *EXTREMELY* anxious to move in. This was my first foray into security/fire alarm installation so it's been a massive learning experience. Thanks very much for both this suggestion and for DEL's suggestion previously...now if only we weren't getting hammered with snow tomorrow or I'd set it and report back right away, but as the forecast looks I think it may be a few days as the house is atop a rather severe mountain.

Best to all and thanks again!
Adam

Glad we are on the same page. I have the COSMOD2W as well and it took some trial and error to get setup correctly. When the COSMOD2W is reset all three zones (smoke, co, and maint) open and then restore. The panel is expecting the fire zone to go into trouble when the panel is reset or *72 sensor reset is issued.

You should also test being able to silence the smoke detector sounders. I originally had the COSMOD2W DIP switch 1 configured to bell, which is the default. For some reason it wasn't following the coded signal from my HAI OmniPro bell output. When I would acknowledge the fire alarm the panel sounder would turn off, but the smoke detector sounders would not turn off until I issued a smoke sensor reset.

I changed the COSMOD2W DIP to smoke trigger and had an output turn on when a fire alarm occurs. When I acknowledge the alarm on the panel both the panel siren and the smoke detector sounders turn off. At this point I can walk around and see which smoke detector tripped by looking for the red indicator. Afterward I issue a smoke sensor reset and it is good to go.

From looking at the DSC manual PGM 2 has a relay and is probably what you are using to power the COSMOD2W. If you have the same issue I did it looks like you can configure PGM 1 to definition 10 system event with option 2 for fire alarm to provide the trigger.
http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/DSC/Intrusion%20Panels/PC1832/Application%20Notes/v4.2%20PGMs.pdf

Cool, that's a neat trick. I had expected/thought the fact that the sounders kept on going after I aknowledged the alarm at the keypad was normal, expected, behavior until I hit *72 to reset. I was actually perfectly fine living with that but this seems even better.

So let me see if I udnerstand you completely...you set the DIP switch to follow the Smoke trigger, I'm with you so far, but then I'd setup PGM1 to defintion 10, option 2 to follow the smoke alarm, still with you...

Then I consult the COSMOD2W wiring diagram from System Sensor:
http://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/i4Series_Module_Manual_I56-3871.pdf

...and I'd connect my PGM1 to the lower right-most terminal on the module designated "smoke trigger/bell in" represented with a dashed line in their diagram.

Thus the individual sounders in the individual smoke detectors will now silence or sound in conjunction with whatever the keypad buzzer is doing. So aknowledging the alarm at the keypad kills all sounders, even though the COSMOD is still technically in alarm mode which leaves the LED indicators alone until a proper *72 reset is done...

That's really great, thank you! The COSMOD is a really nifty piece of technology, at least from my perspective as a computer/IT guy, but the documentation is really sketchy for it. I've even corresponded with System Sensor Tech Support with a few back-and-forth's over email and they seem really guarded about divulging anything too useful. They're very abrupt and clipped in their answers...curious juxtupoissition from what I'm used to in the IT field where KBA's and FAQ's are the name of the game. I suppose that's an industry thing, perhaps, since there are probably lots of "good" reasons not everyone should be attempting this stuff on their own.

Thanks again, I'll set this up when I'm next on-site and hope to report some success after I do! Now off to mine that old "LED Doorbell" thread....

Best,
Adam

Yep you have it correct. The lower right terminal label bell/smoke trigger goes to the PGM1. I haven't configured a DSC panel, but assuming I understand the PGM options correctly it should work. With option 10, option 2 for fire event selected PGM 1 should go to 12v when a fire alarm occurs. When you silence the alarm and the DSC panel siren turns off PGM 1 should also turn off. When that happens the COSMOD2W will shut off the smoke detector sounders. This is how it worked for the two installs I have done one was my HAI OmniPro panel and the other a friend's Elk M1 panel.

rsw686 said:
You can configure the maintenance zone as a fire zone on the DSC. Since the EOL is inline the zone can only be at the resistance value or open. When the COSMOD2W reports maintenance the zone will open and the DSC panel will show fire trouble.
Fire trouble is a bad idea.

Most CS (or prudent ones) will dispatch the FD if they get a fire trouble and no response at the house....we had a competitor burn down a $25 mil historic house because of bad templating of the account compounded with a fire trouble report that their CS only called the house on and never dispatched. Was a true FA.

Also, it's *technically* a code violation as the it is not a trouble condition, only maintenance.

For non-coded installation (connection to a +12V constant trigger, other than a temp-3 and temp-4 bell output on the panel) requires 2 outputs controlled by the applicable ZT. You want a tandem ring on fire and CO, just coded differently.

amikolajczyk,

I am attempting to setup a COSMOD2W on the DSC 1832. Several things are not clear to me, I am hoping you can help me. 

1.       How did you program the zones for Fire and CO, for example the zone definitions.  Are there any restrictions on which zones (I think I read the Honeywell Vista the Cosmo can’t be on zone 1)?
2.       How did you wire Smoke & CO triggers. (I assume this is threw a relay to a programmable out)
3.       How did you program the programmable outputs for CO and Smoke triggers, what were the conditions on each?
4.       How did you program the power programmable output (resettable power)?
5.       Seems this device requires 3 Programmable outputs; power, CO trigger, SMK trigger.  The 1832 only has two, can I double up the PGM's?

I'm looking at leaving the maintenance unconnected.  I haven’t been able to find any application note or write up online and DSC has not been very forthcoming with information.  If you could share your setup details with me it would be greatly appreciated.

desmolift said:
amikolajczyk,

I am attempting to setup a COSMOD2W on the DSC 1832. Several things are not clear to me, I am hoping you can help me. 

1.       How did you program the zones for Fire and CO, for example the zone definitions.  Are there any restrictions on which zones (I think I read the Honeywell Vista the Cosmo can’t be on zone 1)?
2.       How did you wire Smoke & CO triggers. (I assume this is threw a relay to a programmable out)
3.       How did you program the programmable outputs for CO and Smoke triggers, what were the conditions on each?
4.       How did you program the power programmable output (resettable power)?
5.       Seems this device requires 3 Programmable outputs; power, CO trigger, SMK trigger.  The 1832 only has two, can I double up the PGM's?

I'm looking at leaving the maintenance unconnected.  I haven’t been able to find any application note or write up online and DSC has not been very forthcoming with information.  If you could share your setup details with me it would be greatly appreciated.

I just installed one of these on a DSC 1864 panel for a friend last week.

1. Fire is zone type 08 standard 24hr fire and the CO is zone type 41 24hr carbon monoxide.
2,3,5. Keep in mind the DSC PGM are switched to ground (negative) so they can't power the triggers. I hooked the SMK / Bell trigger to the bell output on the DSC panel. If you want to use it as a trigger you would need a relay like the Elk 912. I haven't tested this, but it looks like the PGM type would be 10 latched system event with output option 2 (PGM output is activated if a Fire Alarm occurs). I don't see any output options for CO.
4. PGM1 and 2 are not the same. PGM2 has a 300ma output capability. You want to wire the module + to the DSC panel Aux + and the module - to the DSC panel PGM2. Set the PGM to type 03 sensor reset.

Thanks for the information, this is great.  I'm assuming the zone number for fire and  CO doesn't matter.  I'll be wiring zone 1 and 2.  Yes on the relays, I have two RB5's with the current system (old Bosch), these are wired to two individual programmable outputs (negative), what I don't know is how they are programmed because I don't have access to the existing Bosch system.  So, you wired the smoke trigger directly to Bell Out, how did you set the switch on the COSMOD2w?  Does this mean CO doesnt sound the audible alarms on the COSMO-2W?  I'm assuming you didnt wire maintenance or CO trigger.

Back