X10 Lighting Scheduled from a Honeywell Ademco 20P - Is this Possible?

Yada

Hi,

I understand that the Ademco 20P panel provides some level of support for X10 devices.

For example, when an event (such as a door opening) occurs it can trigger an X10 light to turn on.

What I want to do (hopefully) is to have lights turned on and off by schedule (rather than by triggering).  For example, I would like to use the scheduling capability in the 20P to schedule lights to go on and off at various times (such as on at 6PM and off at 10PM).

I'm wondering if any users or installers can confirm that 20P scheduled lighting will work with X10 devices?

Thanks 

Does your 20P have the optional power transformer with the X10 interface in it?
I believe the X10 interface power transformer is discontinued.

Yes, I already have the transformer and there are many more available new and used (on eBay and elsewhere); it's a common part that sells for about $20 or less.  So the transformer is no problem - just need to confirm that the 20P schedule (and not just event triggering) can control an X10 (Power Line) device. I'm pretty sure it can but was hoping someone here might have done it.  Thx

I DO NOT believe it can. It can send some X-10 command when something happens, and send another when something else happens. From what i remember, it also send LOTS of duplicate commands. BUT all you have to do is buy a cheap X-10 scheduler. It can send the scheduled commands, and the Vista can send the others.

You can schedule and trigger on a 20P. Just like driving an output (which is how it's programmed anyways).

For what the panel is, it can do a decent amount (within the realm of schedules the panel has) and output programming.....it's not a HA panel but it can do a decent amount.

Thanks - I've had some other confirmation it will work.  Just need to find an Ademco/Honeywell 1361X10 transformer.  If anyone happens to know where one of these might be available please put a post in this thread.  Thanks!

The transformer isn't 100% necessary. There was an X10 specific device you could wire to the J header and output the PLC signals, the only reason why the 4300 and later 13XXX transformer really existed was to eliminate the need for 2 outlets.

Been a while so I can't remember the PN.

Was it maybe the Power Line Transmit only X10 PL513 or X10Pro PSC04 Power Line Interface?

Though you would not be using the power line receiver. The X10 TW523 or X10Pro PSC05 Power Line Interface may work.

The power line signal blasting JV Digital Engineering XTB523 may also work as it emulates a TW523 with a much more powerfull power line transmitter.

I don't know exactly what the 20P uses for inputs and outputs.
I do know the X10 interfaces have Optocoupler isolation. The Zero Crossing and Recieved Outputs pull the signal pin to common.
The X10 transmitter is turned On by driveing the input high with respect to common.

Question regarding how to replace Old System with New System:
 ​
Replacing Honeywell 8000 Total Home Panel with Ademco 20P Panel while Preserving X-10 Lighting
(with time of day scheduling and event triggering)

Old System

Honeywell 8000 Total Home Panel communicates via a P3 10 pin X10 panel connector thru a DB9 male/female patch cable connection to a round 5 pin DIN plug that goes into a Powerhouse CP290 X-10 controller (which communicates to addressable X-10 light switches).  (Presumably the P3 X10 panel connector could have been wired directly to the 5 pin DIN plug without the intermediary DB9 patch male/female patch cable.)  Honeywell 8000 is programmed to control lighting with schedules so that lights turn on and off according to time of day and also control lighting with event triggers (such as alarm conditions).

New System

Solution 1:  Use 8 pin connector on Ademco 20P panel (this connector on an Ademco 128P is referred to as J8, on the 20P it’s just called an “8 pin connector”.)  The 8 pin connector/J8 connector is connected via a 4120TR trigger cable to an Ademco 1361X10 transformer’s three X-10 taps (Sync Output, Signal Common, and X10 Data).  Using Ademco 20P Functions 79 and 80 the 20P panel can be programmed with time of day schedules and event triggers (such as alarm conditions) to issue commands to the Ademco 1361X10 transformer which can transmit the commands to the addressable X-10 light switches.  (This solution eliminates the use of the Powerhouse CP290 controller).

Solution 2:  Use 8 pin connector on Ademco 20P panel (this connector on an Ademco 128P is referred to as J8, on the 20P it’s just called an “8 pin connector”.)   The 8 pin connector/J8 connector is connected via a 4120TR trigger cable thru DB9 male/female cable connection to a round 5 pin DIN plug that goes into the Powerhouse CP290 X-10 controller (which communicates to addressable X-10 light switches).  Using Ademco 20P Functions 79 and 80 the 20P panel can be programmed with time of day schedules and event triggers (such as alarm conditions) to issue commands to the Powerhouse CP290 X-10 controller which can transmit the commands to the addressable X-10 light switches.  (This solution eliminates the use of the Ademco 1361X10 transformer).

Question:  Which is more likely to work and be effective, Solution 1 or Solution 2?  Thanks!!

It's been a long time since I looked at the CP290 interface protocol.  But my recollection is that the 5 pin DIN connector on the CP290 is a RS-232 interface that connects to a PC.  I don't think solution 2 will work with a 20P panel.

I just googled the 290, not the unit I was thinking of.

Go with route #1. As I said elsewhere, I can't remember what the unit that they shipped in the point of time between the 4300 transformer and the 13XXXX unit.

The CP290 5 pin DIN connector is a serial port type interface. So it would not work.
I believe the PL513 would work. As it has a Zero Crossing {sync}, Common and X10 Data input.

Back