Documenting your automation and devices

Jmltech

My home automation is pretty simple right now.  Using some Insteon switches with an ISY994i, a few webcams, door sensor, router, wireless access point.

What is everyone using to document all of their home automation wiring, devices and automation rules, as well as the device configurations?  My wife and I are planning on buying our retirement home soon, and so I plan to set up some automation and webcams so that I can monitor remotely.  But, the thought of having to remember all of the configuration details, not to mention the 'tricks' as I learn each device is a little scary.  I thought of setting up and using a personal mediawiki on my computer and capturing all of the info in some logical order on wiki pages, including configuration settings and other gotchas... but, I'm worried about having to 're-learn' the wiki syntax every time I want to change or update something on a wiki page - which after initial setup, shouldn't be that often.

Anyone have any suggestions or can let me know what you have been using to document your home automation and devices?  The reason I was leaning towards media-wiki was the ability to create pages per device, but yet have links and pictures and other attachments to supplement the info.  However, learning the syntax seems to be a chore if you don't use it that often.

Thanks!
Joe

Historically here used VIsio and Excel.

This drawing is old now and there is much more stuff to the automation in the home today.  IE: the NTP server was on its own box.  Today it is part of the PFSense firewall stuff. 

The main drawing goes to multiple pages of sub section drawings with more verbiage.

Attachments

• automation.jpg
    automation.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 88
Thought I would share the latest on my quest for documenting my insteon and home automation installations...

I started a personal wiki on my home computer using mediawiki, and started creating a single page for each device.  I'm also planning on creating an 'in case of emergency' page so that if something were to happen to me, my wife knows what can safely be removed and what devices may require an electrician (for example, some of the insteon wall switches).

I had some time today so I played around with VISIO to start documenting some of my connections.  I searched the web to find some graphics for some of my devices that is in my media cabinet.  Didn't take too long to do.  I think I spent more time on making it look nice than on the actual device connections.  I'll try to attach an image of what I produced in a couple of hours (mostly playing with graphics, resizing, and making some of the graphics with transparant backgrounds).

Using mediawiki isn't too bad.  In my original post I mentioned that I was worried about having to figure out the 'language', and then having to re-learn again when I need to update (maybe months later).  However, I found a nice WYSIWYG editor extension, so that is making the editing a lot easier.

(edit: tried to upload an image, but the image gallery says I have no space!  Is there another way to show an image?)

Despite rumors to the contrary, paper and pencil will likely not be obsolete. I got a spiral bound notebook and that is what I use. It hasn't failed me yet. Mainly to document which zone is which, which color wire is what, etc. And the best part, you never forget how to use it (flip pages.) 

Paper was invented about 100 BC which means it has been around 1915 years so far. Chances are it will still be around long after I am.

i have to be that guy; you did your math backwards - 100BC would be 2,115 years.   :)

but i keep all of my notes in a Field Notes pocket journal.  it's a mess, full of lists and diagrams and notes, and there is no way in hell someone else could pick it up and immediately decipher it, but it's years worth of knowledge and evolution of my HA experiment.

Notes can be a mess on paper or using one of many programs.  The OP wanted documentation so HE could remember everything down the line. I definitly can sympatize with that, as its easy to forget what goes where.  If your goal is to leave notes for another to understand your system, that is another question. Also documenting your system for a house sale, that's even another question. I found it easier to remove most of it than to document it. 

When I sold my house I greatly simplified, and left basic instructions on installer codes, user codes. Turned out a 85 year old gentleman bought it. He was quite technical, but in the end, he only uses part of it.

Wait, doesn't everyone use powerpoint to document their systems?  This is 3 months ago. But, i'm with ano.  If I ever sell my house, i'm ripping it all out, leaving only the cabling behind. 

QEQfvD4.png

L8gl0X7.png

NrsvJ1e.png

@IVB

Well it's too late now but wanted to ask you how many stripes were in your tie in the picture you used?

ano said:
When I sold my house I greatly simplified ...

This has been my entire goal, a decade plus long struggle which is just now starting to be realized.  I am so close that I can see the finish line, and once I cross it will document everything that was done.  My best guess is what currently fills up entire notebooks will be distilled down to a page or two...

We need to avoid the complicated, and strive for the simplicity that lives on the other side of complexity.

How do you insert an image?

@ivb - love the flow diagrams. Right now I'm focusing on documenting physical connections and device configs... Especially all the 'hints and tricks' I have used from contributions on this forum

If i can figure out how to include an image, I'll share (must be pretty simple because I'm just not getting it)

Jmltech said:
How do you insert an image?@ivb - love the flow diagrams. Right now I'm focusing on documenting physical connections and device configs... Especially all the 'hints and tricks' I have used from contributions on this forumIf i can figure out how to include an image, I'll share (must be pretty simple because I'm just not getting it)
Host it online somewhere. I use IMGUR. Then use [ no space img] image url [ no space / img ]

Ecell and visio will take care of it all. Also easy to make changes. Best thing is to start documentation BEFORE you even start the actual work. I update my info as soon as I make a change so it's always updates. I orginize everything so some else could walk in and make sense of everything if service needs to be done on the future. 

I would post examples, but uploads are only 150k! My blog page on here does have examples.

Back