Haiku Multiple iBeacons

tannebil

Geofencing never worked for me so I wanted to try using an iBeacon to track if I'm home or not. I bought a Radius X2 but, while it works fine, it doesn't cover my entire house even at the highest power setting. If I get a second one and configure it with the same UUID, will Space treat that UUID like it was a single virtual iBeacon? If not, any suggestions as to a better way to attack the problem?

Thanks, Bill

I've noticed that it's not just range. Sometimes I'll be sitting close to the iBeacon and Locate (Radius Networks app) will pop up an "Entered Region" message even though I have not moved. As I understand it, the beacon is sending constantly and the app (Space or Locate) wakes up when iOS detects a beacon. However, the details about how things go from that point are not clear. Does the app to into a sleep/wake cycle or does it continuously monitor the iBeacon? Or that something app specific?

1. Should iBeacons work effectively for occupancy detection or are they more designed for arrival/exit detection?

2. What are the battery implications of using Space/iBeacons for occupancy detection?

3. Are additional iBeacons in the same spot likely to reduce or increase the erroneous alerts (and battery usage)? 

1. They should work for both, as long as you can get the iBeacons to cover the areas correctly.

2. There's certainly a hit but I don't think its too terrible, as we do not do ranging, just enter/exit into region.

3. This I am not 100% sure as it depends on Apple's algorithms, but better accuracy should be possible with better coverage.

I installed two more beacons and things are a bit better but I still get occurances where I'll wander past one of the beacons and Space will send a notification as if I'd exited/entered the house.

A bigger issue is that even when background processing is enabled for Space, Smart Triggers appear to stop working if Space isn't manually launched regularly. That's a big problem with my wife's iPhone as she never runs Space.

So far the iBeacon and Space is a disaster.  It does not work.  Hopefully the future updates will fix the problem.  The smart flag never turns on fast enough if it turns on at all.  The app does not run reliably in the background to turn on the smart flags.

tannebil said:
I installed two more beacons and things are a bit better but I still get occurances where I'll wander past one of the beacons and Space will send a notification as if I'd exited/entered the house.

A bigger issue is that even when background processing is enabled for Space, Smart Triggers appear to stop working if Space isn't manually launched regularly. That's a big problem with my wife's iPhone as she never runs Space.
We're working on this issue.

Back