Haiku IP cameras again

cestor

I am getting numerous video artifacts and intermittent connection dropping when I go to the camera page. This is with 9 cameras, all using RTSP and 30FPS so I am wondering if it is a bandwidth issue - what is the recommended number and settings for cameras? Network is gigabit with the ipad connected through wireless N.  

Would be interested to hear from others how many simultaneous camera feeds and at what bitrate/resolution they have had success with

With that many cameras and FPS, hell yes, that's a bandwidth issue. What codecs are you using? Have you dialed it back to a more realistic number, like half or a third? What is the size of the image being put on the network?

Have you run a continuous ping to see what the NIC is doing? Is it just video being dropped or pixellated?

What I want is for the camera preview page to display lower-res images - maybe using secondary channels on each cam, but then a pop-up to give a single high-res feed. Can Space do this?
---
BTW, the codec is H.264 . This is Space on an ipad so not sure how I can tell how much bandwidth is being used on the wifi. On the wired network there is no issue with the displays.

30 FPS is overkill and unnecessary. Real world, you'd never see visible performance differences at half that rate. That would bog down on a wired network let alone a wireless one. Whether or not your hardware can multicast or not remains to be seen. Better hardware, sure, cheap stuff, doubtful.

More than likely your RF is having issues with the thoroughput, N or not.

What's the frame size/resolution, quality and we already know you're screaming 30FPS. You're going to need to dial back all of this. If you don't have the option on the hardware, that's going to be an issue. Say, like on Axis, Sony Ipelas and others, you can drop the quality from say an 70-80 down to 60 or so, save a ton of bandwidth and not see a visible difference in the image quality.

cestor said:
What I want is for the camera preview page to display lower-res images - maybe using secondary channels on each cam, but then a pop-up to give a single high-res feed. Can Space do this?
---
BTW, the codec is H.264 . This is Space on an ipad so not sure how I can tell how much bandwidth is being used on the wifi. On the wired network there is no issue with the displays.
Space does do this for some cameras when they support specifying scaling via the URL. We're only doing this on MJPEG currently though, just because I am not sure if many cameras can dynamically generate different H.264 streams via URL. We do it on Axis, Panasonic, Vivotek, Toshiba. We'll be adding more. If you know the URLs to specify resolution you can post them here and I'll get them added.

I can create a high-res primary stream and a low-res secondary stream on each of the cameras, addressable by URL. However, if I define them in Space rather than PC Access extended setup, or if I define both high-res and low-res streams in PC Access , they all get shown simultaneously and I have the bandwidth issues. 

If I only define the low-res streams in extended setup, then I can't do a high-res popup...

Am I missing something here?

Can anyone answer this please- Can I define a camera URL that doesn't show up on the main camera page of Space but still be able to do a popup with it through pc access? If so, how?
cestor said:
I can create a high-res primary stream and a low-res secondary stream on each of the cameras, addressable by URL. However, if I define them in Space rather than PC Access extended setup, or if I define both high-res and low-res streams in PC Access , they all get shown simultaneously and I have the bandwidth issues. 

If I only define the low-res streams in extended setup, then I can't do a high-res popup...

cestor said:

I don't think you are missing anything. I, too, would love to do what you want to do. I don't need tiny little thumbnails grabbing 720 30fps streams, but I would love to see those streams when I click into the camera. I wouldn't mind a static snapshot of the camera in the thumbnails, similar to what the Blue Iris app does. I might add this thought in the feature request section.

In any case, my h.264 rtsp streams are still wonky - we fixed an issue one month ago that was supposed to come out in the 1.05 version of the app which we have yet to see... so I cant even test more until this happens. 

@Lupinglade, I am using Foscam 9803EP cameras
The URLs are:
rtsp://user:password@IPADDRESS:88//videoMain
rtsp://user:password@IPADDRESS:88/videoSub

Note that the // in the videoMain URL before videoMain is not a typo

If you can add these, it would really be appreciated. 

But I'm still not clear how I would get the low-res substream in the preview and the high-res main stream on the popup.

Until we add built-in support for this camera (hopefully next update), it is not possible to set separate streams.

@lupinglade, thanks for that. Do you know when the next update is likely to be?

Also, as a suggestion, why not have an xml file that can be edited manually that contains camera URL definitions and that way it's fairly easy for people to add their own cameras without you having to include new ones in every release?

Back