Camera's Best for my setup?

chasers03

To complete my total house automation system consisting of a Omni Pro II with eight 5.7E Omni Touch Screens, I want to add 5 outside and 3 inside camera's.  I have an 8 solid wire bundle & a co-axial wire going to each (4) outside corners of the house. The question is what camera & DVR combo would you all recommend under these circumstances and which I can program to pop up images on the 5.7E's?  I also want the set up to be friendly with Haiku.

I am confused about whether Analog or IP cameras will work best including set up using my Dlr. PC Access & Automation Studio?  One supplier is recommending Ever Focus Analog as follows. 
  • EFEHD730, Outdoor True Day/Night with DW;
  • EFED730W,Indoor True Day/Night with DWD
  • EFECOR26416X11T; 16 Ch. ECOR264, H.264 DVR, DVD
  • ALTV615DC616UL; CCTV 16 Output DC Power Supply
Is this my best option considering that cost is not a problem?  Or have you had a outstanding experience with another camera, DVR combo??  Questions are welcome....Thanks Steve Chase

Personally I would entertain newest generation of IP HD / POE connected cameras.  That said while I am moving in that direction I still have in place analog cameras that are over 10 years old now and functioning fine.  The DVR world has been changing over the last few years.

which I can program to pop up images on the 5.7E's

All of my analog / IP cameras work with my older 5.7's and newer 5.7e's.  The IP cameras are configured with PCA and I am not utilizing Automation Studio.  I am utilizing the Omnitouch legacy hub and video hub, Axis server, ZM Linux servers and Grandstream stuff to combine analog and IP camera functions.  In order for Leviton / HAI to be able to utilize the newest Omnitouch 7 devices there was a removal of code in the firmware of the HAI OPII panel done.  This made the default camera event pop up disfunction on the Omnitouch 5.7/5.7e's.  The displays are all 4:3 today which I cannot change with PCA.  The Omnitouch Pro software has not been updated such that its default CCTV camera configuration is hard coded to the discontinued HAI analog to IP camera server (a custom Axis server). I do not know of what else might have been removed or changed for newer hardware stuff.  This has been documented with HAI CT's and users of said panel utilizing Omnitouch 5.7/5.7e's.  You can customize with Automation Studio and Haiku / Space to adjust to the shortcomings.  Just a guess though.

You can combine both analog / IP cameras today to work with a DVR.  (I do today).  My very old Optex analog combos still continue to work well for me.  That said its been a few years now that I have updated the Optics with new camera boards/lens in them.  I am looking towards another update to them as they were very modular and I can fit an IP camera board in the space utilized by the current 38mm square camera lens boards in them today.  Relating to IP my direction has been to utilize one MFG's camera mostly and that is working for me today.

I am confused about whether Analog or IP cameras will work best including set up using my Dlr. PC Access & Automation Studio?

Best would be IP cameras today.  The newest IP cameras have quick CPU's and allow for multiple SD/HD streaming to multiple devices which is beneficial to me.  (concurrent to the HAI stuff my non HAI touchscreens do stream HD in a 16:9 display just fine).  IE: too if you had / have analog cameras in place; using an older Axis analog to IP server works fine for me and is a bit easier (plugnplay) than using my ZM servers.

Is this my best option considering that cost is not a problem?

I do it utilizing old HAI stuff and new stuff; it's a kludge but it works for me.

chasers03 said:
 I have an 8 solid wire bundle & a co-axial wire going to each (4) outside corners of the house. \

Is this Cat5e or some other non twisted pair cabling?

I just sold my EverFocus system last month and am fully converting to an POE, IP-based camera system. That system consisted of EHD730 cameras (as well as some others) and an 8-channel ECOR DVR. The video quality/resolution of an IP system is simply superior to that provided by an analog camera/DVR combo.

Having said that, the issue with IP cameras can be integration of them into other systems; you mentioned your OPII system. With the ECOR DVR, I was able to access my Elk system and EverFocus DVR via a single app (eKeypad Pro). However, I was only able to view the live stream from there and could not see alerts and get the full functionality that the DVR offered. Adding that the resolution and video quality was not as good, I've moved on and realized that I would forego the integration for a much superior camera system for not much price difference. The last time I priced those EHD730's I think they were ~$200. I can get an outdoor rated, POE powered, IP camera that does 1920x1080 @ 30fps for $100...  yes, please. 

The only con that I've really found with IP systems is that there are no inexpensive NVR options, but when you compare to the EverFocus systems it really becomes quite a wash. Appliance based solutions are generally limited in number of cameras supported and can be pretty pricey ($800+). Instead, I've choose to go with a PC-based solution running NVR software; I've built and fielded 3 of them to other people to date and will be doing my own VERY soon; 3 of my cameras were delivered late last week :) so I've got some work to do!

Here while playing around with this stuff have utilized a Linux software NVR/DVR for many years.  It is flexible in that you can do just about anything with it.  IE: while its recording multiple streams 24/7 it only saves defined events related to whatever triggers you define whether they are hardware or software.  You can also just configure the software to just record streams 24/7. 

The changes relating to utilizing IP HD cameras do make that NVR/DVR work pretty hard; especially if there are multiple HD streams being recorded.  One option too is to record two streams per camera; one HD and one SD and match up an event on the SD stream to generate an HD stream of the event.

Relating to utilizing the OPII custom software consoles; you can today integrate a DVR like customized screen easily enough.  That and I am using IP cameras with built in SIP which with a little bit of tweaking can also integrate to the touchscreens (kind of going into the intercom stuff).  This stuff would be mostly DIY though.

Wow thank you all for this rapid and thorough response to my need.  I think you have left me in the dust with some of those acroynims so I am a little confused and feel kind of dumb. 

Work2Play said:
Is this Cat5e or some other non twisted pair cabling?
It is Cat 5 Commscope Network cable 0478R twisted pair.

Received this advice from tom cressionnie Leviton support "the 5.7e requires MJPEG or JPEG video feeds. The best way to set the cameras up if you want pop-ups is through Automation Studio software. Support is built in for our 68A11-1 mini dome and Axis and Panasonic cameras, as well as our now discontinued 87A00-1 server. For other IP cameras, a Query String is required from the camera manufacturer and added on the Query String line in the camera properties. The Query String allows the screen to bypass the camera’s web server and any logins and go direct to the raw video feed. Popping up a camera requires programming in both Automation Studio and PCAccess"  I believe I can do this however my PCA programming is up to 1376 lines of the 1500 max.  I also notice that Automation Studio  gives indication of IP camera devices with MJPEG?

pete_c said:
Relating to utilizing the OPII custom software consoles; you can today integrate a DVR like customized screen easily enough.  That and I am using IP cameras with built in SIP which with a little bit of tweaking can also integrate to the touchscreens (kind of going into the intercom stuff).  This stuff would be mostly DIY though.
Pete what IP camera & NVR are you using with your OPII?  What does SIP mean.  Are you processing Mjpeg?

Pete what IP camera & NVR are you using with your OPII?  What does SIP mean. 

Just switched all outdoor IP cams to Grandstream and DIY'd Grandstream OS cams.  I am playing with a few Grandstream devices these days.

My Linux NVR is ZoneMinder (http://zoneminder.com) (http://zoneminder.com) (http://zoneminder.com)

SIP  = Session Initiation Protocol used with VOIP

Grandstream-SIP.jpg

Are you processing Mjpeg?

yes

The PCA URL for MJPEG for Grandstream IP cams is:

dub dub goform/stream?cmd=get&channel=4 (or whatever you have configured)

The URL for MJPEG for Axis server cams is:

dub dub axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1

grandstream-mjpeg.jpg

I use the Grandstream decoder/encoder to feed the IP cams to the old HAI VIdeo hub used for the Omnitouch 5.7 screens.

gxv3500.jpg

The Optex combo analog cameras have outdoor wired PIR's built in.  Update/mod to Optex will provide IP HD plus the analog stuff.

Today the Grandstream IP HD camera boards are two boards.  One camera lens board and one CPU IP board.  The two boards are connected together with a ribbon cable.  I am thinking that I will be seeing a single combo lens board and processing board some 38mm round in size in the near future.  This would be then similar to the older analog camera boards with the auto shutters et al type of stuff.

hii there.. i sign up with you yesterday i really need help for ip cameras to communicate with hai home automation...
i really need help to get my ip camera working on hai home automation..camera model number DS-2CD2112-I  by hik vision..here are the spec of the camera..

1)
Video Compression: 

H.264/M-JPEG

2)
Protocols: 

TCP/IP, HTTP, DHCP, DNS, DDNS, RTP, RTSP, PPPoE, SMTP, NTP, UPnP, ICMP,IGMP,SNMP, FTP, 802.1X, QoS, HTTPS

so basically it supports both mjpeg and h264.. could somebody help me out to enter info in pc access software under extender set up..
in ip cameras set up i entered info
name: demo 1
type: mjpeg
url: http:// 192.168.x.xx:port/streaming/channels/102/httppreview
number: one
fps: one
quality: high
resolution: 640x480
user: (default user name)
pass: ( default password)

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

type: mjpeg
url: http:// 192.168.x.xx:port/streaming/channels/102/httppreview

Test out the stream with a browser first.  Once you have that going then use that.

Use these links here to test with a browser first.

Here when I utilize Firefox and stream one image from one IP HD cameras, I right click on the image for the properties and utilize that link adjusted for the Omnitouch 5.7e screens.

drvnbysound said:
I can get an outdoor rated, POE powered, IP camera that does 1920x1080 @ 30fps for $100...  yes, please. 

I've choose to go with a PC-based solution running NVR software; I've built and fielded 3 of them to other people to date and will be doing my own VERY soon; 3 of my cameras were delivered late last week :) so I've got some work to do!

Out of curiosity, what PoE IP cameras will you be using?

I'm starting to look for outdoor-rated PoE cameras to integrate with my HAI/OmniTouch system (plus a linux box where I'm probably going to run ZoneMinder) and am looking for something that is good in both daylight and at night when lighting is minimal.

pete_c said:

Test out the stream with a browser first.  Once you have that going then use that.

Use these links here to test with a browser first.

Here when I utilize Firefox and stream one image from one IP HD cameras, I right click on the image for the properties and utilize that link adjusted for the Omnitouch 5.7e screens.
Thank you for your reply... i went on website yu recommended..i found there url of my camera which is
Rtsp://admin:p[email protected]:554/streaming/channels/1. I tried this url on mozilla firefox browser but its not open..

Yeah it looks like the chart is only showing RTSP stuff for your camera.

Try this for a snapshot:

hxxp://admin:[email protected]/Streaming/Channels/1/picture

You can also take the feed to the Omnitouch screen via a software NVR.

Here I use ZM and the feed utilized for HAI Omnitouch video via Linux ZM is:

hxxp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz/cgi-bin/nph-zms?mode=jpeg&monitor=5&scale=100&maxfps=5&buffer=1000&user=username&password=password

pete_c said:
Yeah it looks like the chart is only showing RTSP stuff for your camera.

Try this for a snapshot:

hxxp://admin:[email protected]/Streaming/Channels/1/picture

You can also take the feed to the Omnitouch screen via a software NVR.

Here I use ZM and the feed utilized for HAI Omnitouch video via Linux ZM is:

hxxp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz/cgi-bin/nph-zms?mode=jpeg&monitor=5&scale=100&maxfps=5&buffer=1000&user=username&password=password
I tried
Http://admin:[email protected]/streaming/channels/1/picture..it actual worked in mozila browser..even it worked on omni touch 7.. but its just a picture not live video Feed..i m very close now

Set the Type to JPEG and FPS in PCA to Five and it should be fine.

I have tested the JPG captures this way with direct connected Grandstream IP HD Cameras.

Back