No touch gate opening?

cgull

I'm looking for a way to have a gate open whenever I (or anyone who has access) drive or walk up to it.  It can currently be opened via keypad or an RF opener.  I am not concerned with having a high level of security (ie: I won't be opening doors with it).  I would of course like to keep it as cheap as possible but my budget is up to $300.

Any thoughts?  

I have been looking into the following:
1. Bluetooth access reader:  Range is good but only product I've found is the VizPin EK7.  This is within the price range but it appears I need to be a certified partner to access the management app required for setting things like range.  Any other options?

2. RFID:  Range is not good enough for the passive RFID.  Active RFID is viable but it starts getting expensive.

3. Some type of RF beacon.  Could possibly be wired into the car for power but that is not ideal.  

If you have an OMNI panel and use SPACE (the new version of HAIku) for the iPhone, you can buy a cheap ($30) ibeacon, and have the gate open when you approach. That will cost you about $30. that is also a very secure solution. SPACE senses the ibeacon, which trigger a flag in the OMNI which triggers a relay which opens the gate.

I made a comment on the blog, but figure I may get a faster response here...

Pete - what kind of range are you getting with this RFID solution?

I have not paid attention to the range.

The RFID tags work fine buried in the headliner next to the dome lamp. 

I will test range in the next couple of days.

A quickie check (noticed ZM was off).

On    RFID    CAR3 RFID Transmitter    Today 6:16:05 PM - Triggered

Street Cam showing my car coming up to driveway (bottom time is correct) picture at 18:16:39 = 34 seconds different. 

Car-RFID-1.jpg

Another look the next day.

RFID RFID    CAR3 RFID Transmitter    Today 6:10:06 AM - Triggered
DW Cam Triggered Today 6:10:11 AM - Triggered

pete_c said:
I have not paid attention to the range.

The RFID tags work fine buried in the headliner next to the dome lamp. 

I will test range with tablet in the next couple of days.

Sounds good. The reason I ask is that I've got a friend that is looking into solutions to automate the opening of his garage door when he comes home. When we were tossing around ideas, RFID came up, but I didn't find any solutions that seemed like they had a reasonable range for what he was trying to do.

He's got an alpha solution right now, but it's not very robust... so still looking at various alternatives.

Here I only utilize these for the automobiles. 

I can maybe set up a trigger here to open the garage door when the RFID tag triggers the receiver. 

I have a camera that faces the garage door such that I can see the time it happens.

Today I am not using them for any security stuff.

This seems like it would work PERFECTLY for what I want to do with the gate.  With the ability to monitor the RSSI values I can tune it to open at a set threshold which is nice.

The ebay store for Ananiah will reopen on March 9th so I'll have to wait to order a Tx and Rx unit to try out.

I have very limited RFID knowledge...can any active TX module be used with the receiver module?  

Here is a sort of distance map that I made. 

The white line is the camera view down my street. 

Like this google maps stuff.  I removed all of the houses going back in time some. 

mapRFID.jpg

That is some SERIOUS range.  A lot longer than I expected.  You have the version that does not send RSSI right?  

You have the version that does not send RSSI right?

Yes.

I am using the original devices from a few years back. 

I do not play much with them anymore as they just work for me.

I never paid attention to the range as I only really wanted to use them for the automobile in the garage thing.

So you use it to open the garage door as you're driving up to the house?  When you originally had a battery in it how did you keep the door from constantly opening after you closed it?

While I wait for the seller's store to open I'm going to try to see if there's a way to do this with bluetooth.  With Bluetooth 4 and the low energy protocol there must be a way to do this with an Arduino or something.  Will post back here if I find a way.

So you use it to open the garage door as you're driving up to the house?

I do not.

When you originally had a battery in it how did you keep the door from constantly opening after you closed it?

The original door OEM saftey stuff is all still in place.  

Three position magnetic sensors on the two doors; and a few doo whats statements on the HAI panel and / or Homeseer Automation software.

It is using two recievers; one in the attic and one in the garage.  When the two receivers get "tagged" it turns on a virtual switch (once only).  When the tag leaves the area then the virtual switch turns off.  You can play with it yourself to watch the serial com traffic and see when the tag appears and when it disappears.  The hard solenoid switch to tag number would make the device pure hardware functioning (or both).   When I first played with it there were other automation peers trying  to use radio / reader RF triangulation of the tags for maybe RFID geotracking their dogs or cats in the back yard? 

Well too I can see a live view of my garage door  (brick mailbox is on the internet and HV / LV wired to the house) and just push a virtual button on my phone to open it..

I have multiple wired sensors for all kinds of stuff inside the garage and outside the garage.  Wireless stuff as mentioned plus a small hotel like single box access point to connect to the vehicles using 802.11X (for other stuff).  Cars have the OEM 3G radios plus my stuff (another radio - LTE now). 

I am a bit into GPS stuff here and a few years back now.  Today you can just put a radio and GPS tracking in a tiny little box pushing the data to wherever and doing if then stuff with that data; easy peasy stuff and very reasonably priced.  You can also utilize APRS to do stuff like that.

Triggering (automating) the door to open or close would be an easy few programming lines on the Leviton HAI OPII panel or using my automation software.  Its all connected just for that.

Many years ago in the home before this one I did automate the garage door, alarm, driveway (using optical beams and other stuff).  Much "if then" stuff and I circumvented the built in GD saftey stuff to get what I wanted.  My logic didn't work one day as my wife drive in to the garage while on a conference call on her cell phone.  She left the car running while the garage door automatically closed because the alarm was still enabled and I had introduced some faulty logic.  She did not get hurt; rather just panic for a bit.

So with the new home / garage I over engineered the automation/security pieces.  Today there is a lot of wired hardware while I can use it for this or that; I do not.  (mostly though everything is wired inside and out plus the added wireless stuff).   I was doing a TTS announcement in Portuguese / car horn toot announcing which car had arrived.  Neighbors kept asking why my garage TTS was talking in Portuguese.  It wasn't loud.  I did mostly to bug my wife.

I utilize blue tooth today but not for automation.

Very cool Pete!  I also have my home overwired (1.5 miles of Cat 6) but almost all of the Cat 6 dedicated for sensors are not in use.  Most light switches have Cat 6 going to it and and there are many runs to places I will probably never have sensors and/or wall controls.  With that said I do have a 'slight' obsession with IP security cameras (all outside) but I will eventually get to wiring sensors and programming rules into my Elk M1.

I'll update this thread if I make any progress with the Bluetooth solution and/or once I get the active RFID reader in the mail.  

Back