HAI Omni-Pro II upgrade

DTG173

I am new here and looking for input as I explore the home automation world which seems to have left me behind.

I installed an Aegis system whn Ibuu y hus 202. It ws upgraded to an OPII after a lightning strike (pre surge protector). I did the entire install and programming myself, but haven't kept up with the technology.  I have been chasing dying X-10 switches and think I should probably just upgrade/update to all UPB's. I guess I should also upgrade my firm-ware via a chip and am looking for assistance with a bunch of questions. I contacted a local guy and got a quote for everything I want to do. I told him I did complete install, but I guess he feels he will make as much money as possible off me. Apparently he doesn't think people use the internet for research.... His mark up on the switches was 97% and he wants 1500.00 just to upgrade/update my programmer, saying it will take him 8 hours.... Yeah, no thanks. I understand people need to make a living, but that mark up is a bit unreasonable.

I have decided to do this myself and am going to start purchasing the items I need to complete this project. So, here I am, with questions. 

I already have the house set up with an X-10 controller on each leg of electrical service. I never had a problem with noise and the X-10s were pretty reliable. Can I do the same with the UPB's, or do I need to get a repeater for the elec. box?
How difficult is it to get the chip and upgrade the board? 
I have dealer access software, but it is old, and will need the new version. I intend to buy that so programming will be a bunch easier.
WhichUPB switches do you recommend? HAI/Pulseworks/other? I like the fact I can track the status of the UPB's if used locally, but that is only available with the HAI/HLC switches correct?
Does the controller need to be hardwired into the router? Would it be possible to get it to go wireless? Just thinking out loud, would probably not be a good idea to have my alarm accessible via a wireless router.

I can no longer access my system via telephone unless it's from within the house. This happened to an old board and they replaced it. With the new technology I would likely use Snaplink anyway. Will that affect any upgrades?
I am sure I will have a bunch more questions and if I have left anything out please advise. 
Please feel free to add any links for information. I have been using the search button as well.
Thanks in advance,
Charlie 

DTG173 said:
I am new here and looking for input as I explore the home automation world which seems to have left me behind.

I installed an Aegis system when I built my house in 2002. It was upgraded to an OPII after a lightning strike (pre surge protector). I did the entire install and programming myself, but haven't kept up with the technology.  I have been chasing dying X-10 switches and think I should probably just upgrade/update to all UPB's. I guess I should also upgrade my firm-ware via a chip and am looking for assistance with a bunch of questions. I contacted a local guy and got a quote for everything I want to do. I told him I did complete install, but I guess he feels he will make as much money as possible off me. Apparently he doesn't think people use the internet for research.... His mark up on the switches was 97% and he wants 1500.00 just to upgrade/update my programmer, saying it will take him 8 hours.... Yeah, no thanks. I understand people need to make a living, but that mark up is a bit unreasonable.

I have decided to do this myself and am going to start purchasing the items I need to complete this project. So, here I am, with questions. 

I already have the house set up with an X-10 controller on each leg of electrical service. I never had a problem with noise and the X-10s were pretty reliable. Can I do the same with the UPB's, or do I need to get a repeater for the elec. box?
How difficult is it to get the chip and upgrade the board? 
I have dealer access software, but it is old, and will need the new version. I intend to buy that so programming will be a bunch easier.
Which UPB switches do you recommend? HAI/Pulseworks/other? I like the fact I can track the status of the UPB's if used locally, but that is only available with the HAI/HLC switches correct?
Does the controller need to be hardwired into the router? Would it be possible to get it to go wireless? Just thinking out loud, would probably not be a good idea to have my alarm accessible via a wireless router.

I can no longer access my system via telephone unless it's from within the house. This happened to an old board and they replaced it. With the new technology I would likely use Snaplink anyway. Will that affect any upgrades?
I am sure I will have a bunch more questions and if I have left anything out please advise. 
Please feel free to add any links for information. I have been using the search button as well.
Thanks in advance,
Charlie 
Apologize for typos. Can't find the edit post button here? 

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum DTG173.

Thinking here after some more posts you will be able to edit your posts.

Read on the forum relating to what it is you want to do as there are folks here that have done stuff very similar to you in a DIY fashion.

I have left my X10 PIM connected to my Leviton OPII panel.  I have upgraded the TW-523 to a dual phased TW-523 emulator which does pump up the X10 signals stuff using JV Digital Engineering hardware.  I still utilize this for my holiday lighting and single house code stuff for all of it.

The above said I have done a migration of my original X-10 in wall lightning switches to UPB now.  It is very easy stuff.

Best for you and your current residential electrical environment to test it out purchasing a sampler of a controller and switches or modules using a programming tool called Upstart and just a PC.  This will allow you to see the UPB signals on one phase or another or both. 

The transport methodology of the power line use of UPB communications is different from that of X10.  It is inexpensive to be able to test and personally the "proof is in the pudding" relating to what you see. Most homes today I am familiar with do have electrical wires running throughout which do/can serve as a automation communications topology.  Cousins in EU use power-line (outside of their home to inside) for Internet which replaced their DSL stuff from years ago.  Continue to read here and ask questions. 

BTW the upgrade firmware chip change on the OmniPro takes only a few minutes and is an inexpensive DIY.  

The newer OPII panel added more serial ports and firmware upgrading via PCA versus chip replacements.  Rest of the functionality is the same (I think) as I have both old OPII and new OPII in use today.

Thank you for the info. Pete. It is possible for the OPII  to control both UPB and X-10 at the same time correct?  My plan is to change over as the X-10s crap out. I've been advised that they can't be used together?? As long as they are on the correct house codes it shouldn't be an issue right? I'm thinking my local dealer is seeing massive dollar signs with his 97% markup on switches. 

It is possible for the OPII  to control both UPB and X-10 at the same time correct?

Yes

I have X10, UPB and Z-Wave PIMs plugged in.  Other users have that and ZIgbee.

I am going to do this myself and apologize in advance for being such a newbie again.
I just ordered a few UPB switches, new PCA dealer software, and the upgrade chip to get me started. I plan on updating the board first, installing new PCA software and getting the file from the controller brought over, and then installing switches and programming. With the pulseworks switches, do I need to use the UPstart program first or can I program them with the PCAccess? If there are threads on this subject I have not found them yet, so please point me in the correct direction.
Thanks again!
Charlie

@Charlie

Yup; you need to start with Upstart first.  Get familiar with the program. Program a few switches first. 

Once programmed with Upstart you can configure the OPII panel UPB controller / UPB switches.  Its very easy.

Concurrent or before the above update your chips and get familiar with PCA dealer version.

Thank you again Pete, you are a wealth of knowledge and information. I am very glad to have your input and will try not to wear you out with my questions.

I have been searching the forums for answers and have unlocked new concerns about my project. Some of the threads I found these concerns in are dated, but nonetheless I would like to address them so I can move through this as seamlessly as possible. I tend to over research things, and I'm sure once I get "hands on" it will all come together easily. I really hate when the panel chirps and don't it to start after 10 years of pretty much flawless operation.

When I install the new version of PCA, via disk on a different computer, will I be able to just upload the programs and settings from the OPII controller board to the new program/computer without issue? I know I need the IP address and encryption key information to connect, which I have. I see the format appears to be very different between the new version of PCA and the version I have on the "dedicated" computer now. As long as the programs/settings/zones/names/etc.. all migrate it will be an easy transition. Once I have a connection between the OPII and the PCA I should be able to just pull everything from the board, and then work on configuring the UPB's.

I have read posts about the RC80 T-Stats not communicating after FW, or maybe it was PCA upgrade. Has this issue been resolved? 

The part number for the FW chip is LV20A042UPG, is that the latest firmware version 3,xx? I'm running a 2.13 chip now. 

Thank you Sir! 

When I install the new version of PCA, via disk on a different computer, will I be able to just upload the programs and settings from the OPII controller board to the new program/computer without issue?

Yes.  You can also utilize PCA to connect to the panel via a serial port.

I have read posts about the RC80 T-Stats not communicating after FW, or maybe it was PCA upgrade. Has this issue been resolved?

There was never an issue.

Checked on your part number and see:

Use this OmniPro II Firmware Upgrade Chip to update existing OmniPro II. Comes with Installation Instructions.

TECH SPECS

HAI #: 20A04-2UPG

When you update the OPII board make sure you have removed / disconnected all power from the board.  Think it is mentioned in the instructions that come with the upgrade chips.

Thanks Pete. I guess I mis-read some where about T-Stat communication problems after firmware updates. 
I have been doing a bunch of research and seem to be getting more confused by doing it. It seemed so easy to set up the X-10 12 years ago. Last night while backing up my programming from the OPII to the PC the old PC decided to do a complete shutdown and it wiped all the programming from the OPII as well as from the old version PCAccess software on the computer. Luckily all my names/zones/units/buttons/etc were still there. There was likely a lot of redundant stuff programmed anyway. I will now get very familiar with programming the new version of PCA and change some stuff up. That will be the fun part of all this. (I hope)

Here is my plan.
1) Install new UPB switches and use the UPstart program and HAI PIM to program them. Should they be programmed any specific way to be used by the OPII? 

2) Install new PCA software in different computer and start programming off line while I await the upgrade chip. I read that some features of PCA 3.x may not be available with the old firmware 2.x, so I will wait to get new firmware chip installed.They really changed the format of PC Access, I look forward to using it.

3) Install upgrade chip with hopefully no problems, and hopefully get new version of PCA on new computer to communicate with and read all the info that is on the OPII and incorporate it for use on new version of PCAccess. I should be able to just upload from the controller to the new program using the ethernet port right? That's how my old computer is connected now.

4) Get the OPII to locate, communicate with, and control the new UPB switches with the HAI PIM. When I install and program the PIM into the board, should I use a certain serial port and how should I configure said port with PCA?

Right now it just seems like a pretty hefty goal. Not sure why I am getting so confused, I did the initial install myself and I don't recall it being so intensive. 

Is there a link for HAI tech support I may find answers to some questions without badgering you?

Thank you again for your continued support. I feel I should be sending you your beverage of choice!

Charlie

1) Install new UPB switches and use the UPstart program and HAI PIM to program them. Should they be programmed any specific way to be used by the OPII?

I just configured them as UPB units.  You can go the HLC way in groups.  There is a way mentioned here on the forum.  Its more related to the schema of the number and grouping of the UPB switches.

I take advantage of the linking and the double tap single tap stuff that I can program in via Upstart.  IE: like creating links for other paddles on the switch (like a scene for example).

Its up to you what you want to do.  The means is there in Upstart. 

2) Install new PCA software in different computer and start programming off line while I await the upgrade chip. I read that some features of PCA 3.x may not be available with the old firmware 2.x, so I will wait to get new firmware chip installed.They really changed the format of PC Access, I look forward to using it.

Here I left the HAI UPB Pim plugged in to the OPII panel and purchased a spare PIM to use with the computer.  I keep the configurations on the NAS such that I can get to them from any computer running PCA (desktop or laptop).  The newer PCA is way different than the older PCA.

3) Install upgrade chip with hopefully no problems, and hopefully get new version of PCA on new computer to communicate with and read all the info that is on the OPII and incorporate it for use on new version of PCAccess. I should be able to just upload from the controller to the new program using the ethernet port right? That's how my old computer is connected now.

Easy peasy stuff.  You can read all of the stuff from your panel.  It will change a bit when you upload it back to the panel relating to the added features set in both the PCA software and firmware.  As soon as you install PCA, check for updates and one will probably be a software update to PCA.  Update PCA before talking to your panel.

4) Get the OPII to locate, communicate with, and control the new UPB switches with the HAI PIM. When I install and program the PIM into the board, should I use a certain serial port and how should I configure said port with PCA?

When you configure the panel for UPB its only a couple of settings.  You can ustilize any serial port.

1 - Setup tab ==> Expansion==> Serial address left at zero  (0) == > #, Port, Rate and Function

serialsetup.jpg

2 - Setup tab ==> Units == Dealer settings to look like this.  Don't forget to put in your UPB Network address and UPB Network password which you get from what you set up in Upstart.

unitdealersetup.jpg

3 - Setup tab ==> Units ==> # (from upstart), Name and description (mine match upstart - you can put anything here) and Housecode format.

upbpca.jpg

Is there a link for HAI tech support I may find answers to some questions without badgering you?

Yes there is.  Old link that still works.

HAI Knowledge Base

Thank you again for your continued support. I feel I should be sending you your beverage of choice!

Charlie

Not an issue Charlie. 

BTW the first password you encounter when running PCA is "password".  Don't forget to change or remove it.

So far so good. Installed a UPB switch and using UpStart have it programmed.
Installed FW chip, rebooted and the only thing that got lost was the time.
I am having difficulty getting the new PCA to communicate with the panel. I can use the old computer with old version of PCA and it communicates fine with the crossover cable I made wired directly into the ethernet port. If I wire it with a straight cable through the router it will not communicate.
With the new version PCAccess on the new computer it will not communicate using either the crossover cable or the router with straight through cable. I am using the same IP/port/encrytion keys on new PCA, but it will not go on line. I am using the ethernet port as I do not have a serial connector. I have tried pinging the OPII and it does not see it.
Any tips?

Quick question re the old OPII boards and FW upgrade chip.

Is the controller FW now upgradeable via a flash through PCAccess? I see that snaplink needs FW version 3.2 or newer and my chip upgrade gave me 3.14.

Is the controller FW now upgradeable via a flash through PCAccess?

Yes if you have a newer OPII board.  The board you have is legacy and uses the chips you installed for the firmware upgrade.  You cannot update these chips via software (IE: PCA).

You mentioned upgrading your OPII with upgrade chip part number HAI #: 20A04-2UPG.  Your PCA connection show indicate you are at 3.14A revision of firmware.

The Windows Snaplink version I have (last one made by HAI) is Version 1.1.22.290 dated 2011.  It works fine with most current OPII panel firmware of 3.14A.

Snaplink will also show OPII firmware version under status.

snaplink.jpg

Yes, I did the upgrade and have FW 3.14 now. I thought I read somewhere that the Iphone apps required a later FW version. Probably just research overload as I have been doing a lot of it lately! 

Back