stalling board

BTCAD

What should i do when a board is stalling? I do not have access to the board and i want to be able to reset it. Can i send something like a telnet instruction to force the board to reboot? Can i write a code that reboot board when it happens?right now, I have a wc32 in a forest and i cant reach the board... I only can have access to the router remotly and reboot it.

Any ideas?

When you say WebControl is stalled do you lose Web access? If not updating network
settings will reboot the board.

If that is not possible then you can go one of two routes:
1) Implement a watchdog in hardware that needs to be constantly reset by your code.
If it does not get hit often enough it will power cycle board.

2) Another option is IP based power controller that will let you reboot the device
remotely via a web interface.

/tom

It is best to find out what was the cause of it, so that it can be fixed for sure.
WC board already have watchdog timer in it, if it stuck for any reason for longer than a few seconds, it will automatically restart.
It is likely something else, for example power supply exposed to extreme low temperature, etc.

When im logged in the router remotly,i can launch a ping (troubleshooting page)then ping the board sucessfully. So the boardis still connected to the dc and the network. This is the web acces that do not work properly. The board was installed inan environement of -20c.

if ping the board successfully, the CPU is actually functioning, because on WC8. the CPU is doing everything, including ping.  ping and http server just different part firmware code being executed.   I wonder if that just that one board, or similar boards all having same problem. The processor spec can work down to -40C

WC32 has dedicate NIC chip that respond to network traffic, however, to respond to ping, it is also require main CPU to send commands to the NIC chip.
Only in one case the main CPU will answer ping but not answer HTTP traffic, that is when the main CPU in firmware update mode.  If that is the case, you can use that utility to let processor enter back into run mode.

I had some cases having a stuck webget stack, here entering new PLC code (or may be other setting)  resets the board. The board reacts slowly over the web interface however before the reset occurs. New versions shall have a reset command for the webget stack.

CAI_Support said:
Only in one case the main CPU will answer ping but not answer HTTP traffic, that is when the main CPU in firmware update mode.  If that is the case, you can use that utility to let processor enter back into run mode.

You want me to run the PIC32UBL.exe, connect to the card then disconnect? That way the board will return to run mode by itself. I'm I right? I noticed that when i connect to a board the green led (hearthbeat) flash 2x. When I disconnect to the PIC32UBL.exe the led still flashing 2x and there is no access to web access and i can still ping the board. The only way to return in normal operation is to recycle de power.

The board have the lastest fw version ...08. 

Tschmidt said:
When you say WebControl is stalled do you lose Web access? If not updating network
settings will reboot the board.

If that is not possible then you can go one of two routes:
1) Implement a watchdog in hardware that needs to be constantly reset by your code.
If it does not get hit often enough it will power cycle board.

2) Another option is IP based power controller that will let you reboot the device
remotely via a web interface.

/tom

Thx, yes i know i can use something like toughtswitch (ubiquiti) and power cycle the board remotly, but i want a low cost solution. 

I found in russia this little thing :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-ethernet-IP-relay-control-module-thermometer-thermostat-watchdog-JSON/281561851180?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27705%26meid%3Da59ac2708f904ff88df81aa494b2c5c1%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D281412662286

This is the smallest ethernet controller i ever found. May be i can use this as a remote power management system. That way i will be able to reset the whole system. But if this little board crash, I 'm still at the start point....

CAI_Support said:
Only in one case the main CPU will answer ping but not answer HTTP traffic, that is when the main CPU in firmware update mode. 

Does the plc program still run when we are in this state?

No, during firmware update mode, PLC does not run any more. Do you see PLC still running, but HTTP does not respond?

I don't know if the plc is running. I guest not because i was supposed to received email on event and never got it.

BTCAD said:
I don't know if the plc is running. I guest not because i was supposed to received email on event and never got it.

Not sure that the failure-to-receive-an-email proves that the board isn't running.
If you have (ethernet) connectivity issues (as already stated), it's possible the logic is running, inputs and outputs are doing what's required, but that it may not be able to communicate.

How you determine this remotely without network connection I've no idea!

As a test, you could use one output pin to operate a pulse-counter (mechanical type thing), pulse the output periodically or flash an LED slowly... but you still have no way to see if it's been running or not unless you are able to visit the site, or perhaps use an IP-camera to observe it.

I have network access, i can log in my 3g router. The webserver do not respond anymore, so i can use the board remotly.

Im supposed to go in the forest this weekend for a short reboot and inspection. Im sure that a short power cycle will fix the problem.

I dont no if its doable to add a telnet function or something like that and allow remote function? Such as reboot.

Back