Battery for Elk M1G

video321

It's time for a new battery for my Elk M1G...

Is the panel designed to charge Gel and/or AGM batteries? I'd like to assume I could use either; with the preference being AGM?

Plus, if anyone would like to make a recommendation for sourcing a good battery I'd like to hear it  :D

I've bought a number of Power Sonic AGM batteries from ecomelectronics on eBay and had good luck with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381014098661

I'd stick with an AGM battery over a gel cell. Gel cells tend to be more sensitive to the charging voltage, and are easily damaged if the voltage gets too high.

Here too purchased Power-Sonics.

That said originally I was replacing one battery then purchased a couple more maybe wanting to sync my battery changes?

Thanks for the input!
I was just never sure if the Elk-branded batteries were gel or agm and which type the charger on the panel was optimized for.

Though, unless I'm mistaken, I believe the charger only makes a difference if the battery is using gel - which requires some "optimizations" for the charger output?

I used to purchase Elk batteries for my HAI stuff.

Just a quick synopsis here relating to your question:

AGM (absorbed glass mat) is a special design glass mat designed to wick the battery electrolyte between the battery plates. AGM batteries contain only enough liquid to keep the mat wet with the electrolyte and if the battery is broken no free liquid is available to leak out.

Gel Cell batteries contain a silica type gel that the battery electrolyte is suspended in, this thick paste like material allows electrons to flow between plates but will not leak from the battery if the case is broken.

More often than not AGM Batteries are mistakenly identified as Gel Cell Batteries. Both batteries have similar traits; such as being non spillable, deep cycle, may be mounted in any position, low self discharge, safe for use in limited ventilation areas, and may be transported via Air or Ground safely without special handling.

AGM Batteries outsell Gel Cell by at least a 100 to 1. AGM is preferred when a high burst of amps may be required. In most cases recharge can be accomplished by using a good quality standard battery charger or engine alternator. The life expectancy; measured as cycle life or years remains excellent in most AGM batteries if the batteries are not discharged more than 60% between recharge. There are some AGM batteries we sell that offer excellent 80%+ deep cycle abilities.

Battery Tender Plus Gel ProfileGel Cell Batteries are typically a bit more costly and do not offer the same power capacity as do the same physical size AGM battery. The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressing is the GEL CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries. If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed.

I just replaced PS-12180 (18A) with same model at start of year. PS-12180 lasted a very long time. Interesting how many people are using PowerSonic.

Just thought I'd report that I received my pair of batteries; both with the same date code of less than 3 months old.

PS-1270 with F1 terminals.
They'll be wired in parallel for a total of 14 Ah.

I think I'm going to start having my calendar do an auto reminder every 3 years for replacement. For only $30 I'll be more proactive about it.
Perhaps I'll get a battery cabinet as well so I can house a single, larger, battery instead.

Here the replacements were 3 1290's.  I could barely fit one in the OPII cabinet and put two in the remote cabinet.  The only reminder I have is here on the Cocoontech forum when I asked about them a while back.  I looked and noticed I left the old one sitting near by.  It was a Powersonic 1270.  I remember paying more for the 1270 at the time.  I didn't write down when I installed it.  I do get a voltage reading on my Homeseer 2 plugin for it.  (and some number with PCA).

Yeah... I skipped on the 1290's (IIRC they're the same dimensions as the 7Ah) simply because I figured I'd just save the extra money and put that towards being proactive in replacing them. It's a difference of 4Ah - which next go around I may end up doing a single 18Ah and max out the panel's charger.

Back