PC Access/OPII and windows 8.1 help please

DTG173

HELP.
Just upgraded my OPII with the FW 3.14 via a chip. I was running the OPII via a direct connection via a crossover cable and Windows XP. I installed PCAccess on my computer with windows 8.1, and can't communicate with the OPII. It won't even ping it. I have IP and port correct but it still won't go online with either the cross over cable direct method, or via my router. I can communicate with the XP computer via the cross over cable direct, but not through the router. However, the XP computer will not access the internet or OPII via the router.
What am I missing?
IP windows 8.1 192.168.1.a port abc
IP OPII             192.168.1.abc port abc

Might be that the W81 firewall is blocking access?

Might be easier to connect the OPII to the switch / firewall and the computer with W81 to the same switch / firewall.

Once connected this way make sure that the W81 computer can go to the internet.

Then try to ping the address of the OPII.

Quick recap

What is Router/switch
IP address?
Subnet mask?
gateway address?
dns?

What is the mfg of the box and go to the configuration page via the W81 computer which should show the LAN side stuff.

W81 computer
IP address?
subnet mask?
gateway address?
dns?

Fastest way is to run "cmd"; then type "ipconfig" and look there.

OPII
IP address?
Port Number?
TCP?

Answered within quote. I have entered the world of technology I probably shouldn't be in. Please take small steps! 
pete_c said:
Might be that the W81 firewall is blocking access?

Might be easier to connect the OPII to the switch / firewall and the computer with W81 to the same switch / firewall.

Once connected this way make sure that the W81 computer can go to the internet.

Then try to ping the address of the OPII.

Quick recap

What is Router/switch
IP address? 192.168.1.xx
Subnet mask?255.255.255.0
gateway address? ? don't see it.
dns?auto dns 167.206.13.180/167.206.13.181

What is the mfg of the box and go to the configuration page via the W81 computer which should show the LAN side stuff. Router is a D-Link

W81 computer
IP address?192.168.1.xxx
subnet mask?255.255.255.0
gateway address?192.168.1.1
dns? ? don't see using ipconfig

Fastest way is to run "cmd"; then type "ipconfig" and look there.

OPII
IP address? 192.168.1.xx
Port Number?1234
TCP? tried both TCP and UDP

I tried adding a reserved IP on router using the OPII mac address but nothing.
Router doesn't see the OPII connected, but the lights next to the ethernet on OPII are both on. One steady red, the other blinking.

Baby steps....

OPII does not do DHCP

Lets stop anything you are doing with OPII panel relating to IP connectivity. 

You will need to see your router configuration before anything else.  We may need to adjust some settings here.

Make sure that is working right with whatever computer you want to use...doesn't matter if its XP or Windows 8.1.

FIRST your Router stuff.  All combination router, switch, firewall, AP's are the same but have different GUIs.

1 - what is the router combo mfg and model number
2 - are you using it for other stuff on your home network today
3 - what is the LAN IP of the router, subnet address and how do you have DHCP configured? 
What is the starting address and ending address of the DHCP scope.

1 - what is the router combo mfg and model number? D-Link DIR868-L ( I have no manual and can only configure via the ISP website)
2 - are you using it for other stuff on your home network today? It is currently attached to a Sprint Airave device and internet modem as well as the OPII
3 - what is the LAN IP of the router, subnet address and how do you have DHCP configured?
LAN IP 192.168.1.x
subnet is 255.255.255.0
can't find a way to see how the DHCP is configured
What is the starting address and ending address of the DHCP scope.
192.168.1.x to 192.168.1.xxx

I am assuming that the only other device Sprint Airave device.

I see that the Sprint Airave device is just a signal repeater for you cell phone eh?  Guessing too its plugged in to the router and getting DHCP.

How do the PC's connect?  Are you just turning on a PC and it connects automatically to the router?

Do you have wireless in place and how many devices are connected?

What type of modem is it (are you using broadband / cable, Comcast?)

I am looking at the manual for the D-Link.

Typically  / base set up is:

1 - WAN - Internet piece
2 - LAN - internal network piece
A - all of the network pieces are here (network reference right now is just wired connections)
This will include LAN IP, Subnet Mask, DNS plus
B - DHCP scope - where the DHCP starts and ends
C - reserved DHCP addressing per MAC address
3 - Wireless - just the SSID name and wireless security (looks like it also uses WPS - wifi protected setup - just a fast means of connectivity) and a manual mechanism. 

It would be better to make your subnet smaller. 

It is easier to manage smaller and to divide up the network with static assigned IPs and a smaller DHCP scope.

Note that its just bean counting.  It is not complicated.

Lets look here first.  Note that changes to the router will affect any devices plugged in whether wireless or wired.

Smaller is better.  A suggestion:

IP of router would be:  192.168.1.1

Subnet mask would be: 255.255.255.224 (mask bit of 27)

This would give you 30 clients - 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.30 - easy to manage

DHCP scope can be top 10 numbers (IPs)

192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.30

Set aside an IP for the OPII panel.  Write down the IP.  (IE: 192.168.1.2 or .10 or .20?)

RouterPic-1.jpg

I have about 10 devices which use this network wirelessly. The 4 wired connections are two computers, the Airave, and OPII. The modem is an Arris cable modem.
I tried to narrow the IP clients down like mentioned and lost internet access for my 8.1 as it is outside the parameters. Luckily I have a cell here and was able to reinstate the IP's as they were to get back online. I don't have software for the router and have to use the site from the ISP to make changes. It doesn't give me full access to features I guess. However, I can reserve an IP and tried to do with the mac address for the OPII. Pinging still gets me "destination host unreachable"

At this point I would be happy to even get this to work wired directly with the crossover cable so i can get some programming done.

I tried to narrow the IP clients down like mentioned and lost internet access for my 8.1 as it is outside the parameters.

WIndows 8.1 was probably connected via DHCP.  When you make the adjustments just reboot you W81 computer and connect again to the IP of the gateway.  The only thing that will change will be the subnet, mask and DHCP stuff.

Relating to setting up the HAI IP and codes; use your console keypad first. 

Its a bit slow and do this step by step as described in your manual.

Set up the IP and the codes with the console.  Write down the IP and the two lines of code values.

Controller IP Address
The controller’s local network IP address is used to identify the OmniPro II controller on the network. To view and assign the
controller’s local network IP address, from the Set Up menu, press the 6 (MISC) key. Using the down arrow key (↓), scroll to the following menu item:

IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.2
The format of the IP address is a 32-bit numeric address written as four numbers separated by periods.  Each number can be 0 to 255. Enter the 1, 2, or 3 digit number followed by the “#” key to move to the next number.  After the 4th number has been entered, press the “#” key to store the IP address.

Controller Port Number
The controller’s local network port number identifies the logical channel to the OmniPro II controller. For example, port 80 is
used for HTTP traffic; the controller’s local network port number is used for Omni-Link traffic. To view and assign the
controller’s local network port number, from the previous Setup item (IP ADDRESS), press the down arrow key (↓).

PORT NUMBER 4369
0-65535
In most installations, the default port number can remain the same. Port numbers range from 0 to 65535. To change the port number, enter the new port number followed by the “#” key to store the port number. Port numbers 0 to 1024 are reserved for designated services and should not be used.

Encryption Key
Encryption and decryption of data between the OmniPro II controller and the connected device is based on the Advanced
Encryption Standard (AES) using a 128-bit cryptographic key. A unique encryption key is randomly assigned to each OmniPro II controller at the factory (no records of these keys are kept at the factory). It may be left the same (recommended) or it may be changed as desired. To view and assign the encryption key, from the previous Setup item (PORT NUMBER), press the down
arrow key (↓).

ENCRYPTION KEY PT 1:
6F-1B-26-A2-FF-D9-E4-12  (you can change this to anything you want - write it down)

This key consists of 16 bytes (that is 16 2-digit values from 0-9 and/or the letters A-F). It is entered into the controller in two
parts (PT 1 and PT 2) consisting of 8 bytes each. Enter the 2 digit value. To enter the digits A-F, first press the “OFF” key, then press the 0-5 key respectively (i.e. A1 = OFF 0 1 and CB = OFF 2 OFF 1). After the last digit (16th digit) has been entered, press the “#” key to store “PT 1” of the encryption key. Press the down arrow key (↓) to enter “PT 2” of the encryption key.

ENCRYPTION KEY PT 2:
DC-67-48-8F-D1-3A-EF-70
(you can change this to anything you want - write it down)

After the last digit (16th digit) has been entered, press the “#” key to store “PT 2” of the encryption key.

After you have finished this; plug in a network cable to you router and go to any PC (don't worry yet about PCA).

Ping the address of the OPII; IE: 192.168.1.2

After you have configured the OPII panel via the keypad console we will get back to using PCA. 

Baby steps.

This stuff you can do afterwards if you want. (it is suggested).

===============================================================
20 wireless devices can utilize DHCP if you want.  We can change the reservations to 20 addresses and leave 10 for static addresses.

IP of router would be:  192.168.1.1
IP of the OPII will be: 192.168.1.2
IP of the Airave will be: 192.168.1.3 static shut off DHCP - configure it with .3 IP / 255.255.255.224 - GW=192.168.1.1 and DNS=192.168.1.1
IP of the   PC1   will be  192.168.1.4  - static shu t off DHCP - configure it with .4 IP / 255.255.255.224 - GW=192.168.1.1 and DNS=192.168.1.1
IP of the  PC2  will be 192.168.1.5 - static shut  off DHCP - configure it with .4 IP / 255.255.255.224 - GW=192.168.1.1 and DNS=192.168.1.1

Subnet mask would be: 255.255.255.224 (mask bit of 27)

This would give you 30 clients - 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.30 - easy to manage

Static Addresses would be 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10

DHCP scope can be top 20 numbers (IPs)

192.168.1.11 to 192.168.1.30

Tried that Pete, "destination host unreachable" with ping.
I now have other issues with the router not allowing wireless other connections to attend to. This is extremely frustrating as I am into day #2 trying to get the new PC Access to communicate with the OPII. Even if I eliminate the router like the old PC Access on XP, it still can't find the OPII??

I just hooked up 8.1 directly to the OPII via a crossover cable I use XP with. Pinged the OPII and got same message.
"destination host unreachable"
Same cable to XP and get results from ping. It must be something within W81.
I disabled my anti-virus and got same results. Went to the W81 network (called Homegroup) and hit add all connected devices. It saw the OPII IP, but will not add it for some reason? 

This is not making any sense

PAUSE.

OK found an issue with PCA on WIndows 8.1

I have been playing with new touchscreens running Windows 8.1.

Installed PCA, updated it and created a new setup.

Shut off the firewall.

The option for IP / Keys is ghosted out.

Then I just exported a configuration file from another computer (Windows Server) running PCA.

Imported it to the Windows 8.1 PCA.  Loaded fine.

Shut off the firewall.  It doesn't connect to the panel whatever I do.

Looks to be an issue with PCA running in Windows 8.1.  Only a guess right now.

I have converted my laptops to Linux and running wine and PCA fine in 64bit wintel mode there.

For now lets not worry about PCA on the W81 machine..  I am guessing you have an XP computer/laptop around that you can install it on.

I also just noticed that I cannot ping the OPII from the Windows cmd ping.  Never seen this before.
Went into customizing some rules adding a custom rules for ICMP....didn't work with the OPII interface though.

Tried that Pete, "destination host unreachable" with ping.
I now have other issues with the router not allowing wireless other connections to attend to. This is extremely frustrating as I am into day #2 trying to get the new PC Access to communicate with the OPII. Even if I eliminate the router like the old PC Access on XP, it still can't find the OPII??

I just hooked up 8.1 directly to the OPII via a crossover cable I use XP with. Pinged the OPII and got same message.
"destination host unreachable"
Same cable to XP and get results from ping. It must be something within W81 

This is not making any sense

Don't use your W81 computer for this right now.  Use an XP machine on the network to ping and use PCA.

Note that I just tested with a new build of W81 on a new computer this afternoon. 

You were able to ping the address fine with an XP machine.  Install PCA on that machine.

Create a new configuration.  Change the network IP/keys.  Save it.  Connect to your OPII and import everything from the panel.

Save it again. 

Yeah, that's issue number 2.... The XP computer is on it's last leg. For some reason it won't connect to the internet to download a driver it needs for the new PCAccess software to run. The saga continues hahaha

I have PCA version 2.14 (I think) on it and have been working with that to get the OPII back up to some functioning at least. I am not going to rush as the new PCAccess software looks so much better and easier to use. I have a bunch of programming I lost when the XP crashed last time. Not going through that again, the machine is old and unstable.

On a positive note... I got two of the new UPB's installed/programmed and working with the OPII !

It seems to be difficult to enable networking with 8.1 with the "HomeGroup". At least it isn't just me. Hopefully someone will have a patch/fix for it..

Thanks again Pete.  

Well another issue I just noticed is that it will not open any of my archived configurations stating that they are corrupt or I am using the wrong password.

The configuration and installation I did is identical to all my others.

Personally I have not utilized the old PCA software with new firmware and didn't think it would work.  I do still have it installed somewhere here.

I have not had any issues to date with the WIndows 8.1 clients 32/64 bit networking wise except today for pinging the OPII interface and running PCA on a 32bit W81 touchscreen.

Will try Snaplink and OmnitouchPro software to see if it works next.

There is no drivers that you need for PCA.  When you do an update check it looks for newest PCA, firmware updates for OPII, Omnitouch7 and the new email board.

I have been running dealer PCA on my Windows 8.1 laptop and it is working fine.   I have version 3.14

You may consider upgrading to the newest version.

Back